No Topic Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IIRC, the picture was much bigger last time (a year ago?). It was punishing.
lol at Sad Kevin Spacey.

I feel like derailing threads.
Someone post something meaningful.

Thanks.

"What are you looking at?"

Shit.

Do you know everything about your frigerator, computer and lawnmower? If you enjoy coffee, should you know the art & science of making the perfect cup, when all you wish to do is throw in a spoon of International Roast?

Why do we think non brewers need to know about aspects of beer, apart from 'I like VB, its a top drop" ?
I agree with the sentiment you're expressing, to an extent.

No you don't need to know everything about your refrigerator but I bet most people would know the difference between a fridge and a freezer wouldn't they? But hey they both keep food cold right - who cares which is which?
Ale and lager is pretty much like a fridge and freezer IMO, or a laptop versus a desktop, or a push mower versus a ride on. You don't have to know much about them to know they operate differently, you just need to know the that there is a difference. It's like people know that a diesel, a four-stroke and two-stroke engine is different, they don't have to know WHY they are different, they just have to know to put the appropriate fuel in them to make them work. Mechanic to mechanical forum 'why do we expect non-mechanics to know about different aspects of motor vehicle engines, apart from I turn the key and it goes?' Yes some people put the wrong fuel in the wrong engine sometimes (I'd think them a pretty ignorant person though) but they would learn the hard way pretty quickly and would only do it the once or twice. They still wouldn't know the art & science of it but they'd bloody well know that there is some sort of difference.

I wouldn't expect a non-brewer to know what is different about an ale versus a lager but I would expect them to know that there is a difference of some sort. Something like 'oh yeah they do taste different don't they!' might be an appropriate response rather than 'oh so they're different are they?' A VB drinker would certainly know it tastes different to XXXX, I wouldn't expect them to know what the difference is, but I would most certainly expect them to know that there is some sort of difference. Is that unreasonable?

As for the coffee, well you would know that an espresso machine will make a cup of coffee that is different to international roast wouldn't you? No you don't have to know the science behind it all but you would know that each system will make a different coffee?

As for my comment about the hops. Like I said, I have shown them pictures & photos, I have talked to them, I have shown them hops, I have told them what hops are for. In fact I don't think they knew about hops until I introduced them to hops; so I thought that was kind of covered with them. It is basic common knowledge that yeast eats sugary stuff and make alcohol. That is basic science that everyone learns at school. It is around us to some extent (sugar cane or grains to make ethanol to make E10 fuel etc). Bundy rum factory is in the sugar cane area so that they can use SUGAR from sugar cane to make (horrible) booze. If he had of said 'so you put more sugar in to make it stronger?', that would have been an ok response.

I don't expect non brewers to know much about beer but I don't think it is unreasonable for them to know that there is some sort of difference between an ale and a lager. As for the hops, I am dismayed that they have not listened to a single thing I have told them.

Edit: Ho hum that was a bit of a rant. :D Think I am going to go and try to find some giffs like that pork sword swallower.

If work stress has made me develop a thyroid condition I'm gonna be very pissed off.

If it makes me trouble with drinking beer I'm gonna kill my least favorite workmates. Like screw the mf'rs head into a hole in a wall and bash the **** outta him.

Geesh, that felt good :)

Just talked to my brother who lives in Phoenix AZ on skype over the weekend. Told him that the brewing was going well and i had a decent IPA. Said it was inspired by a couple of beers that I can't get here... Green Flash West Coast IPA and Pliny the Elder. He doesn't really drink beer, nor is he very interested in it, but in this case he said he'd try and find a bottle of each to get a taste of what i was talking about.

He quickly googles both of the above and finds that the restaurant that they were planning to go to for lunch that day had both beers available. Damn you ... Damn you. Got an email this morning telling me how he quite liked the beers but weren't really his thing, too bitter and fruity or something... prefers Crown Lager from home <_< HATE

Freakin equivalent of popping down to Sizzler and grabbing a bottle of Stone Ruination over my feckin salad bar while the kiddie give the soft-serve a bash <_<

Been wondering if we have been taking this interstate move thing too casually. I'm quite used to the looks of horror when people find out we haven't packed a thing a couple of weeks out. Anyway, one and a half days in I'd say we're nearly half done. Easy as really.

Finally got rid of my last half kilo of Chinese Saaz. A friend of the family who used to deal in various stuff before he served a peroid of compulsory residential help :ph34r: reckons he can turn hop pellets into smokables, so I donated half a kilo in the cause. Who knows he may have discovered some holy grail

I'll visit him in whichever government funded institution he ends up in :lol:

I have had an absolute **** of a day! I work in a small company who made a rude, arrogant, pig-headed Canadian a foreman a week before i started there. I had a blew with him this morning, found out at lunchtime that i was going on night-shift monday morning, had another blew with the canadian again after lunch, saw the boss told him i was gonna kill the foreman, got sent home and told to have tomorrow off and calm down ( :) )

But just made it to craftbrewer on the way home just before ross was gonna leave and picked up my order from last week.

after all that shit i have been through today, i dont think it's all that bad now that i have had a couple of beams and swmbo is bathing the kids....... Ahhhhh the serenity!

She's not unattractive either...

4 things spring to mind

(1) I'd be suprised if any of you blokes would even need 1/4 of that length
(2) That's bordering on jailbait
(3) What a wonderful lack of gag reflex
(4) By god I wish she'd hoover my pork sword

Ode to facebook.

Facebook, Slagbook, meet just to Shagbook,
sneaking about but then ya get caughtbook.

Guiltbook, Shamebook, not ya real Namebook,
in ya photos ya gorgeous but really yr a Mongbook!

Prankbook, Skankbook what a fuckin Crankbook.
Its gettin pretty scary cos its turning into Prankbook.

Textbook, Sexbook, spying on your Exbook,
someone 'likes' her photo and ya turn into a Pestbook!

Scrapbook, Papbook catch the fuckin Clapbook,
grab ya shitty iphone and add the shitty Appbook.

Shitebook, Strifebook get a ******* Lifebook!
Watch it if ya married cos they'll nick ya fuckin Wifebook!

Creepbook, Peepbook when ya take a Leakbook.
Yal even be Facebooking in ya fuckin Sleepbook!!

Wallace, I don't know what it is about Canadians but the ones I've met all seem to have some sort of chip on their shoulders. Maybe it's a defensive thing - they never had a revolution and are still firmly under the Royal Yoke, have adopted metric etc etc and as a country are doing heaps better than the Americans and have long done so. You'd think they would be more mellow than the Yanks but it's often the other way round. Probably the climate they were brought up in, and clubbing those baby seals whatever.

I guess YMMV. I've known a few Canucks and none of them have been like that.

Just call him American..............I find it's the best way to annoy Canadians.

Just call him American..............I find it's the best way to annoy Canadians.

Oh yeah... they love that.

All the Canuks I know are really nice.

Cheers
Dave

Latest posts

Back