No Topic Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The conversation with my inlaws afterwards prompted some thinking. They suggested we both cover our tattoos when looking for rentals as agents may be biased against ink in a country town.......Opinions anyone?

Can't hurt.

Got thrown up on by a 9 month old child today.

Prejudice starts early in that family eh? They must really hate tatts...

And the move to Orange gets a step closer......Spent two nights out there last week, great chance to do some recon and suss the place out. Spoke to people at the hospital, and they all but offered her the job (damn NSW health and their "procedures" for filling positions) on the spot, she got a tour of the entire department, introduced to EVERYONE in the department soon. Seems they may even be willing to cough up some relocation monies :)

The conversation with my inlaws afterwards prompted some thinking. They suggested we both cover our tattoos when looking for rentals as agents may be biased against ink in a country town.......Opinions anyone?
Meh, depends how competitive to get a place there. Wife and I are moving to launceston from bris in a matter of weeks now. We've done everything over the phone and because we're looking in areas that (I'm guessing) don't fill quickly we've had a lot of help from agents, ie asking owners who specified no pets if they'd consider a dog, one actually wouldn't let us sign a lease as she couldn't get the owners to do a few repairs she considered necessary. Big change from when we were last renting six years ago, and from what i hear from friends up here renting now. That's my only experience with small town renting though..
And now I think about it, I've got a mate in tassie who lives nears cygnet which is a very small town, he's inked up like you (even up the back of his head...) and is a big prick to boot, they had no problems finding a place even with a pitbull, cat and miniature fox terrier.

It can get competitive, it's a mining town, so the rental market is pretty tight........We are hoping the fact that we are willing to sign up a 12 month lease may work in our favour........We are rather used the Sydney market, where we have actually never missed out on a property we have applied for...

It can get competitive, it's a mining town, so the rental market is pretty tight........We are hoping the fact that we are willing to sign up a 12 month lease may work in our favour........We are rather used the Sydney market, where we have actually never missed out on a property we have applied for...
Plus if your other half already has a job stitched up that's gotta work in your favor. If it's a mining town then maybe your ink will be a relief from all the southern cross jobs there.

While I'm on the topic of moving, if all my time in Brisbane was spent doing a few hours of house work followed by an afternoon of drinking beers and listening to tunes on the deck I probably wouldn't hate the place so much. Long service leave kicks the ass.

They suggested we both cover our tattoos when looking for rentals as agents may be biased against ink in a country town.......Opinions anyone?
Is it right? No. Is it a reality, probably.

Take their advice and worry (or not) about bullshit like that after you have a roof over your head. Rural folk can sometimes tend to be a little more conservative when it comes to stuff like that.
Most say they don't care - but when junior brings a Kat Von D look-a-like home for dinner, they care.

Every 2nd person has ink these days.
IMO, when you get to the point of tattoing your face I'd start wondering.

Neither of us have facial work, but to be honest if I was the real estate agent I'd be more wondering why a man was wearing a long sleeve top in the middle of summer........

Neither of us have facial work, but to be honest if I was the real estate agent I'd be more wondering why a man was wearing a long sleeve top in the middle of summer........

You'll never loose points for appearing well dressed or looking like you work in a bank. And besides, you'll be stopping that expensive ink from fading in the harsh sun. It's win, win!

It's the guys in short sleeved shirts wearing ties that are the worry.

Just be sure the first time they come round for a house inspection that you open the door wearing nothing but boxers, with Jane's Addiction blaring in the background.

And if possible, take a picture of agents face.

Maybe not boxers and Jane's Addiction.......Perhaps denim overalls and some Reverend Horton Heat....

Maybe not boxers and Jane's Addiction.......Perhaps denim overalls and some Reverend Horton Heat....
It's my fucked up Ford!

or perhaps some..... Liquor, Beer and Wine..... Liquor, Beer and Wine..... There's nothing to replace you, 'cept for Liquor, Beer and Wine.....

Keep the rev, but the ideally you'd have the inspection done in the scandalously revealing terry cloth dressing gown while "it's martini time" gently sets the mood. Wait, I'm renting again and can do this myself.

Keep the rev, but the ideally you'd have the inspection done in the scandalously revealing terry cloth dressing gown while "it's martini time" gently sets the mood. Wait, I'm renting again and can do this myself.
:lol:

while clutching an actual martini...

Have you guys not realised the usefulness of "Beer Holder" during an inspection???? :p

I keep my brewing something of a secret from most of my family because my grandfather is an enormous tight-arse and Nanna will only drink Crownies - if he knew I brewed I know he'd keep telling me to make beer for them and she'd keep telling me it was shit. I don't have time to brew the ales I want, let alone the lagers they want not to mention the lack of ability to nail a Crownie. Only reason I'm telling you this is as background to the following snippet of conversation with the old ones yesterday.

Talk swings around to beers they've had and how they think it is made, etc. Then he drops this beauty. "...and those bikies mix up their own beer, you know!" Didn't quite know how to tell him those Coopers tins he sees at Big W aren't quite the same thing as speed. How does one respond to that?

Talk swings around to beers they've had and how they think it is made, etc. Then he drops this beauty. "...and those bikies mix up their own beer, you know!" Didn't quite know how to tell him those Coopers tins he sees at Big W aren't quite the same thing as speed. How does one respond to that?

Took some of my finest in to work to give the colleagues a taste since they ask about it (due to all of the deliveries I get sent to work - eg 4kg of hops in the work fridge that arrived whilst I was away).
I have shown them diagrams, I have shown them photos, I have answered their questions. but I am still perplexed by them sometimes. For example, one fellow didn't realise that lagers and ales are different, it is all just beer to them!

Colleague looking at the bottle: "So how strong is it?"
Me: "Bottom left of the bottle label"
Colleague: "Oh so '5.8% ABV' is how strong it is?"*
Me: "Yes ABV is Alcohol By Volume"
Colleague: "So how do you make it stronger, do you put more hops into it?"

Unbelievable but sadly a true stroy.

* you don't have to know anything about beer or it's making to know this, you just need to be a conscientious consumer.

Do you know everything about your frigerator, computer and lawnmower? If you enjoy coffee, should you know the art & science of making the perfect cup, when all you wish to do is throw in a spoon of International Roast?

Why do we think non brewers need to know about aspects of beer, apart from 'I like VB, its a top drop" ?

Just got back from the dentist. I can still feel the drill & polisher.

Weirdest thing was the dentist had an irish accent, and reminded me of Roy from the IT crowd.
"See that ludicrous display on the telly last noight?"

I have absolutely no motivation to work this arvo... plenty of panning and zooming going on though.

Perhaps it's the 2 schooners at Archive over lunch... BBD and a Mikkeler's Draft Bear (+ a couple of pils samples)

also... don't you hate it when you've got 4 taps and 2 are shit and the others are sooo good you want o make them last so you don't drink them to much.

edit: wrote know instead of no... eeediot

Latest posts

Back