No-sparge Efficiency/quantities?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingerlickin_B

Mo Bitta, Mo Betta!
Reaction score
Hi all,

With a new/larger tun about to be built, I'm thinking of taking a day or two off work soon to screw around (brew around B) ) with various abnormal methods.

One of which is what I believe to be Partigile (spelling?) brewing, or at least a variant of it.

Now my question is, if I were to say mash 6kg of grain with 31L of water for a 25L pre-boil volume (all figures hypothetical & for descriptive purposes of course), what kind of "ball park" efficiency could I expect if simply recirculating but not sparging?

The reason I'm asking the question this way is that I'm hoping (probably in vain) that somebody has actually bothered the take a reading of their first runnings before sparging.

I'd hope to have a slight idea of what to expect, rather than to severely overshoot my efficiency through underestimated efficiency the first time I try this :rolleyes:

Hopefully the question/whole thing makes sense...but probably not.

As for the second mash, I'll worry about that when it happens & keep plenty of DME on hand just in case :lol:

PZ.

PZ, as luck would have it I almost always take SG readings of my first runnings ( and each subsequent running ) so that I can try to estimate what sort of conversion I have ended up with. Unfortunately all the readings where taken at fairly high temperatures, so are probably not very accurate.

You can actually calculate the expected SG. I have a spreadsheet that can do this, but it is a bit messy and over-complicated. (Does Pro-mash or any of those other PC packages have a partigyle model? )

Send me a message if you are really interested in the data and/or the spreadsheet and I will try to explain it.

I have never personally tried the partigyle method, but sounds pretty straight forward in principle.

There's some info on parti-gyles here. Good calculator there. And some good explanation here. However, I'm not sure about the figures for extraction. I did a parti-gyle brew yesterday and the first 21L came out to 1069, while the second runnings were 23L at 1022. :blink: Not sure why, but just took gravities on both and swapped some between the two and boiled up two different beers, an all-Centennial AIPA and a D Saaz APA. :chug:

The way I see it...

The absolute maximum efficiency you can get (after infinite recirculating, assuming all wort stuck in the grain is the same concentration as withdrawn wort) is 25/31*100% ~80%.

I'd say a decent estimate to start at is 80% of your normal, batch/fly sparge efficiency?

PZ
Not too sure if by no sparge you mean by no sparging here (though I do a kind of no sparge for my low gravity beers). Are you going to mash in ontop of your 6kg of grain with 31L? Thats a pretty bloody thin mash, probably a little too thin, and I am not too sure how healthy it will be for your brew. Recently talking to someone that know alot more about brewing than I, and he was saying that the best range to mash with is 2.5-3L/kg (I usually use 2.3L/kg).
The way I usually "no sparge" my low alc beers is pretty simple, I mash in at 2.1L/kg, so pretty thick, and mash high for more body, then heat all the sparge water, and then add that at the end of the 60 mins, to take me to 75C, give it a good stir, then recirc and drain. If you were doing this with your 6kg, I would mash with 15L, and then add the next 16L on top of that for mash out, basically. Pretty easy, I reckon. The only drawback to this method is your efficiency suffers a little.
I base my efficiency on total brewhouse, so I get 23L into fermenter, and 2.5L loss to trub etc..., basing my eff. on 25.5L of beer, and I get between 65 and 70% using this method, where as I routinely get 75-78% fly sparging.
Hope this helps
Trent

I actually tried the no sparge method for Sqyres all in one brewery thread, results were recorded here no sparge
I had an Eff loss of about 2%, but other systems could give different results.

Cheers
Andrew

The reason I'm asking the question this way is that I'm hoping (probably in vain) that somebody has actually bothered the take a reading of their first runnings before sparging.

PZ.

P.Z Here are some readings from first & batch runnings. Post #45.

Cheers, Hoges.

Latest posts

Back