No Sign Of Fermenation After 36hrs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_yobbo

Reaction score
Sorry, its another "my brew isn't bubbling, what do I do" thread, but... what should I do.

I haven't done many brews and decide to step up a little with this one. I grabbed a recipe for a LCPA clone (or similar) from this site or another which consists of
Coopers Traditional Draught Can
1.5kg Light Malt Extra Can
300g Dex
2 x 12g Cascade Hops (in coffee mug of boiling water for 10 min)
American Ale Yeast.

I followed the standard kit n kilo process, fermentables in fermenter, add boiling water to disolve. Top up to 23L mark with cold water. Sprinkle yeast then placed in brew fridge set to 18 deg.

The brew was put together in a rush about 36hrs ago. I took a hydrometer reading which showed no change and peered through the lid with a torch and there is no sign of activity on the surface (no yeast cake, just a clear surface).

So, are any of the following items cause for concern at brewing stage:
1) While brewing, my other half started preparing dinner in the same room including cutting onions. The onion smell (and therefore particles) were in the air during the brewing process. (Until they were overpowered by the cascade hops :D )
2) When topping the brew up to the 23L mark, I placed the fermenter on the floor about 1m below the cold tap outlet. The resulting water stream caused excessive air into the brew therefore a fairly thick head appeared on the brew. I didn't wait for it to go away before sprinkling the ale yeast (dry) onto the top of the foamy head.
3) I also noticed after adding the yeast that the wort was still up around 30 degrees C when the yeast was added.

Any suggestions? Make a yeast starter and re-pitch perhaps? I've already boosted the temperature a little (22 deg) to see if that makes a difference.

Any advice welcome.

30 deg is a very high temp to be pitching. Also, aerating your wort before pitching is advised, but I generally try to displace some of the froth with a sanitised spoon so that I pitch right into the wort, instead of the yeast ending up sitting on top of the bubbles.

Do the normal things to get your yeast re-suspended (heat it up a few degrees, give it a swirl, try racking to another fermenter) and, if after 24 hours of doing each of those, you still see no signs of action, then I'd be thinking about pitching more yeast.

I'm no expert though, I've only ever had one brew that didn't take off within 24 hours, so maybe the other guys will have more advice.

1.dont think the onion waft will cause a prblem but blame the "other half" anyway to get some sympathy to buy more supplies without getting in the chit
2.how old was the yeast/was it stored in a fridge?you should have some activity after 36hrs,I personaly would repitch[even if you have to use the coopers yeast]if you have another american avail get it started first with a cup/stubbie of your wort @ about 26* when it takes off add to your ferm,that way you know the yeast is viable good luck

Just to add another question. you pitched @ 30, was the yeast pitched straight from the fridge? If so, this will cause shock to the yeast and could be the cause of the delay, or, it may have killed the yeast. A sudden temp change of more than (from memory) 10 degrees will shock the yeast.

should be fine mate...wouldn't worry about the onion smell...or the 30 degree pitching temp (30 degrees is the best temp for yeast to thrive, but not to ferment - so as long as it got cooled down to 18 degrees fast enough)...or the aeration of the wort.

Only thing that causes any concern at all is that you pitched the yeast onto the foam...it could have gone off to the side of the fermenter and not actually be in the wort...but doubt that as well...should be fine, maybe if you are worried give is a little shake or a stir...but everything sounds fine to me...probably just that the yeast isn't as fresh as one would like.

On second thought, you could have shocked the yeast with cooling it down from 30 to 18...

Cheers
Phil

Just wait dude. I've had the odd ones that have taken 3+days to start.
Sounds like a nice summer brew.

Thanks for the advice all.
I'll give it a little bit of a swirl when I get home tonight to grab any yeast from the sides (and generally agitation) and bump the temp up just a little more to help it along.

The yeast was fresh from the brew store, although notably, it didn't have a useby date on it. The first store I went to did have useby dates on their yeasts and their american ale yeast was out of date by a year according to the sticker so I didn't buy it from there.
I did take the yeast out of the fridge a good hour before pitching so it shouldn't be too shocked.

Hmm, I don't feel like i'm in the clear yet.

I started to see some sign of activity through the airlock yesterday (70hrs after brew day) as the water levels had changed (but didn't witness any bubbling as such). A white foamy cake (with small brown patches) had formed on top of the brew, hopefully its yeast?
Tonight (100hrs after brewday), the airlock is bubbling once every 10 seconds which looks a good sign. But the flavour of the wort is a little sus :( That and the hydrometer reading doesn't appear to have changed.

So, what other bacteria/wild yeasts can contaminate brews? Do they release gases similar to the normal brewing yeast? Am I in the clear or could it be something else that has grown on the surface.

i have just done a belgian style ale and the yeast seemed like it wasn't going to do anything i pitched the yeast sunday and it wasn't until tuesday that there was any movement at all but then it bought down a beer with an OG of 1070 to 1012.

Bottled friday and this little beastie gets its first try x-mas day, yes i know it should prob go longer but there's 30 or so bottles

Latest posts

Back