No Rinse

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katherine

Reaction score
After a brew on Sunday....

Monday I notticed my hands coming up with bumps and got quite itchy, plus my face.
My hands still itchy.

Im guessing it's the no rinse santiser. Anybody else found that!

Gloves for now on.

Which one did you use, Katie? I find iodophor irritating and try to avoid using it, though sometimes I'm just too lazy to put on gloves. <_<

My hands react to bleach/vinegar used as a no rinse, so i use iodophor and it works for me...

Maybe the glove thing is a good idea :)

Chris.

spacer.gif

Which one did you use, Katie? I find iodophor irritating and try to avoid using it, though sometimes I'm just too lazy to put on gloves. <_<

mmmm what one, its either a garden grade one or a kitchen grade one... even my lips affected. I obviously was holding the lid of the kettle while my partner sprayed the bottle. Maybe Ill be the sprayer for now on. The gloves will be a pain in the &ss.

Trust me. :D

No glove, no love. :lol:

Your hands will love you for the effort to wear gloves. ;)
I get classic dermatitis on my fingers from some sanitisers (and cleaners).

FWIW

Starsan really dries my skin out, even at the correctly mixed ratio, if I dont wear gloves, and I dont coz I am slack! But generally, I do not get a lot of it on me.

Whichever one you used, try a different one next time. The main ones would be Starsan (phosphoric acid based IIRC), Iodophor (iodine and phosphoric acid) and that brewshield stuff which is Peroxide based I think. If its the acid type ones you react too (quite common) then the peroxide based would be a good bet. I think there are some using silver ions as an active ingredient as well (Hysan?)

Give them a try till you find one you are OK with.

Cheers
Dave

P.S.. I'm just waiting for someone to mention Sodium Met...

P.S.. I'm just waiting for someone to mention Sodium Met...

I'll bite.

I have 1/2 a tub of Sodium Met sitting on a shelf. Is it useful for anything other than being a little bit of extra thermal mass keeping the brewery temperature steady?

T.

I'll bite.

I have 1/2 a tub of Sodium Met sitting on a shelf. Is it useful for anything other than being a little bit of extra thermal mass keeping the brewery temperature steady?

T.

:icon_offtopic: since we're talking sanitisers (which sodium met isn't)

Short answer - no.

Long answer is kind of. Its an excellent antioxidant so I know some guys who use a little pinch (tiny - like the size of a pinch of salt to a 22l batch) whenever a brew is exposed to oxygen. Even in the mash to avoid hot side aeration. Used quite a bit in winemaking too (whenever it says sulphur on a wine label they are probably talking about sodium metabisulphite).

I wouldn't use it personally (or even have it in the house) as the missus is asthmatic and that stuff really plays havoc with your airways. Its a potent bronco-constrictor.

Cheers
Dave

I'll bite.

T.

I've been using it as a method of removing chloramine from brewing water.

Also as mould inhibitor in fermenting/conditioning fridges.

I've been using it as a method of removing chloramine from brewing water.

Also as mould inhibitor in fermenting/conditioning fridges.

I use a pinch in my HLT as an antioxidant against the dubious HSA and "to remove chloramines" from tap water. Then I spoke a member of the IBUs who works at the water plant and he said there is no chloramines added to Sydney/Wollongong water, so now I add a pinch out of habit more than anything else :D

It's a chlorine based bleach, which can, I'll grant you, be classified as a sanitiser, and indeed is by some. It's not no-rinse tho. In fact, in the US, it is a pesticide and (in the US) should have the word "DANGER" written on it the package next to a skull and crossbones. Dose up my beer with that, without a rinse? PoMo says No. I use it to clean residual wort out of my no-chill cubes, followed with many, many rinses.

EDIT: linky

It's a chlorine based bleach, which can, I'll grant you, be classified as a sanitiser, and indeed is by some. It's not no-rinse tho. In fact, in the US, it is a pesticide and (in the US) should have the word "DANGER" written on it the package next to a skull and crossbones. Dose up my beer with that, without a rinse? PoMo says No. I use it to clean residual wort out of my no-chill cubes, followed with many, many rinses.

I must admit I do rinse my stuff , three times to be precise , as I do not believe in the no rinse statement , maybe believe peroxide would be close , but that can be nasty stuff if you get it on you undiluted .

I use an attachment which fits onto the tap which you push the bottle down onto and it squirts water under pressure up onto the bottle , three times to be sure , to be sure .

I must admit I wonder what I leave in the way of bacteria from the water in the gear , but it's the same stuff as goes into the brew.

I purchased a 25kg bag for $75 many years ago and have used about 15 kg , I will probably research a new cleaner and santitizer when it runs out

I had used PSR for years before going bulk as it cleans gear and bottles very well .

I must admit I do rinse my stuff , three times to be precise , as I do not believe in the no rinse statement , maybe believe peroxide would be close , but that can be nasty stuff if you get it on you undiluted .

I use an attachment which fits onto the tap which you push the bottle down onto and it squirts water under pressure up onto the bottle , three times to be sure , to be sure .

I must admit I wonder what I leave in the way of bacteria from the water in the gear , but it's the same stuff as goes into the brew.

Both Peroxide and iodophor are definitely no rinse. Peroxide breaks down into hydroxyl radicals (which do the sanitising) which then decompose to oxygen and water. In iodophor, the iodine evaporates off the surface rapidly leaving behind a small amount of food grade phosphoric acid which drains off (and in such tiny quantities doesn't affect your brew anyway). Not sure about the mechanisms involved in starsan and the silver based sanitisers but I'd be happy using them no rinse as well.

Rinsing using tap water you might as well not bother with the sanitiser. By rinsing you are adding all the water born nasties straight back onto whatever you just sanitised. You might as well just wash in soapy water and rinse off. It may be the same water that goes into your brew but for most of us, that water is boiled for at least 60 mins before it hits the fermenter...

Cheers
Dave

Both Peroxide and iodophor are definitely no rinse. Peroxide breaks down into hydroxyl radicals (which do the sanitising) which then decompose to oxygen and water. In iodophor, the iodine evaporates off the surface rapidly leaving behind a small amount of food grade phosphoric acid which drains off (and in such tiny quantities doesn't affect your brew anyway). Not sure about the mechanisms involved in starsan and the silver based sanitisers but I'd be happy using them no rinse as well.

An off topic , and not meant as a criticism

Iodophor has been a source of iodine in the diet for a long time , particularly used in the dairy industry , I am not sure but since it is not as widely used now there is a move to add iodine to bread to supplement our intake . Iodine in salt and bread is used in many places of the world

Iodophor has been a source of iodine in the diet for a long time , particularly used in the dairy industry , I am not sure but since it is not as widely used now there is a move to add iodine to bread to supplement our intake . Iodine in salt and bread is used in many places of the world

Getting seriously :icon_offtopic: now but what the heck (sorry folks)

The dairy industry up until the 80's I think used iodophor and the residual iodine left behind (it does evaporate but not all of it there are tiny trace amounts left behind) was one of the major sources of dietary iodine in Australia as our soils, and hence crops, are very iodine poor. The body only needs microscopic trace amounts so that was enough. The dairy industry switched from iodine to cheaper sanitisers and suddenly iodine deficiency is starting to re-occur (goitre anyone?). They are looking at making iodising of salt mandatory (as it is in other countries) to ensure that we all get enough. I figure the trace amounts I get in my beer will do just as well...

Cheers
Dave

Latest posts

Back