No Rinse

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting seriously :icon_offtopic: now but what the heck (sorry folks)

The dairy industry up until the 80's I think used iodophor and the residual iodine left behind (it does evaporate but not all of it there are tiny trace amounts left behind) was one of the major sources of dietary iodine in Australia as our soils, and hence crops, are very iodine poor. The body only needs microscopic trace amounts so that was enough. The dairy industry switched from iodine to cheaper sanitisers and suddenly iodine deficiency is starting to re-occur (goitre anyone?). They are looking at making iodising of salt mandatory (as it is in other countries) to ensure that we all get enough. I figure the trace amounts I get in my beer will do just as well...

Cheers
Dave

I always used sea salt in a grinder. I now use iodised sea salt (as well as iodophor).

But to get it back on topic, Katie I'd seriously consider a change in sanitizer. I use the hydrogen peroxide sanitizer. I am currently using the brewsheild version which is a 3% concentration which you further dilute to 30ml in 1 litre of water. But if you do some searching around you can find it in bulk at a much cheaper price.

I like this stuff because it's fast working, 2 min contact time. It has no smell. It has no odour. And in small amounts like you would find left over in the brewing gear it is perfectly safe. The only downside it has is that because you can't smell or see if it changes you can't tell if it's working. So as a guide I only mix up what I need for the particular job (generally half a litre) and then once finished dispose of the rest. Also the silver ions that are in this product stabilise the product because with out it the hydrogen peroxide would just turn into water in a few days.

Like I said before do some searching on this site and the web for hydrogen peroxide sanitzers adn you should get some good info.

+1 with the above. Just bought Huwa-San TR-5 Katie Dougie Chap put me on to it. Rang up Jaysol in o'conner but they said they only deal with buisineses. Bit of a yarn about homebrewing & around I went for a one off for 5 litres.I hope it lasts as I like it. 10ml per litre, I bottle & 1 litre is heaps for every thing. It has silver irons in it check jasol on google.

I use starsan personally. love it, works great, doesnt irritate me, is no rinse (apparently good for your yeast too according to basic brewing radio), good for the enviroment and all that.

but now, after reading this thread, im considering the move to Iodophor, just so i can say that im doing my body good by getting iodine :p

will be a long time away yet though, 1L starsan which only needs to be diluted 1ml/L goes a long way :p

Katie I'd seriously consider a change in sanitizer
Probably the best advice.

The level of dermetitis varies greatly between people and can vary greatly with diets and season.
It hard to avoid sounding like GP lol

I use industrial detergents at low concentration and wear PPE in a well ventiataled areas.

Just walking down the Wollies Isle of domestic cleansers send me into a frenzied sneeze attack.

I use starsan personally. love it, works great, doesnt irritate me, is no rinse (apparently good for your yeast too according to basic brewing radio), good for the enviroment and all that.
I used it for the first time recently, after using One Shot for years, and boy does it froth up and leave a
lot of residue on the fermenter. Especially compared to One Shot.

It's a bit worrying but I'm sure it's ok as I know a lot of people here use it without complaint.

Latest posts

Back