No More Sediment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will have a bit of a look around CM2. Boc are getting fairly dear.

Rendo,

I have been a bit intrigued myself since discovering these too. I bought a couple when in Brissie & ordered 6 from the company & am going to give them a go myself. From what I witnessed on the weekend though, I will be looking at ordering 150 of them I reckon.

fark me @ how much your paying for CO2!

I bought a 5kg bottle for about $200 from memory and refills cost bugger all - less than a carton of megaswill any way.

I dont really bottle that often (although I actually just came in from bottling half a doz. longies for dad) but I get bugger all sediment in my glass. On par with and often less than you find in the bottom of say a coopers sparkling bottle. Whilst not my ideal choice, I can quite happily drink straight from the stubby of a bottle conditioned beer. I have no need for some device to catch the sediment in my bottles.
That said if it floats your boat go for it. It seems an expencive option though when there are other options to get perfectly clear beer. Having said that some freinds I wouldnt give bottled beer to but I will serve them filtered kegged brews because I can garuntee clear beer. I might grab some and give them a go but I strongly doubt I would ever want to go to bottling again - cleaning and sanitising 6 long necks then filling them shit me enough without having to do full double batches etc.

VT cylinder, 10kg costs me $154.00 per year for hire & $62.00 for re-fill. I can no rinse sanitise with this thing http://www.homebrewbarn.com/hardindex.html damn quick, click on bottling equipment on the right. Takes less than 10 minutes to do 60 bottles. Stick em straight on the bottle tree & start filling them up. With the sediment catchers, you can fill your stubbies almost to the point of overflowing as the sediment trap itself will consume about 15-20mls which will be discarded.

Maybe you could enlighten us amateur brewers in the secret technique of getting bugger all sediment in a beer in a bottle that is primed with sugar for carbonation. I'll let ya in on a little secret, NOT POSSIBLE! Doesn't matter how expert some of us think we are, or how long we let the yeast settle, if we filter or not or if we crash chill our beer, you will still get sediment in the bottle, PERIOD.
I'm far from being an expert, and I don't use any advanced brewing gear/techniques like filtering, just finnings and cold-condition for a few days before bottling. However, the latest CPA-Clone I bottled has a very light bit of 'snow' on the bottom of the bottle and when poured with a little care is very clear - no complaints at all and no need for sediment-extractors IMHO.
I am not concerned about the yeast being in contact with the beer at all, just happy that I can drink a fully carbonated beer straight from a stubbie without stirring up the sediment. How people can swallow that stuff is beyond me.
It's a little strange that on one hand you're talking about the minimal difference in taste when comparing bottle-conditioned beer to kegged beer, but at the same time you're happy to swill it out of a stubby - maybe that's where the taste difference is since I assume you don't drink the kegged stuff from a stubby?
But if you're going bottle into stubbies, the 150 sediment-extractors is only going to do you for about 2 batches of beer, so you might need to get some more or ration your drinking. :)
With the sediment catchers, you can fill your stubbies almost to the point of overflowing as the sediment trap itself will consume about 15-20mls which will be discarded.
True, but how do you do that with any of the standard bottling wands?
Only way I can think of is by using a tap or other on/off mechanism and manually turning the flow on/off each time you fill a bottle, which would be a huge PITA/

However, the latest CPA-Clone I bottled has a very light bit of 'snow' on the bottom of the bottle and when poured with a little care is very clear - no complaints at all and no need for sediment-extractors IMHO.

No need for sediment catchers if you are going to pour it into a glass. Carefully pouring will avoid stirring up the sediment. I want to drink straight from the stubbie & tipping it back & forth with even a light dusting of sediment is aweful.

I assume you don't drink the kegged stuff from a stubby?

I actually use a CPBF at the moment to take to barbies etc & drink from stubbies that way. Trying to avoid cappers & crown seals as I have a shitload of twist tops at my disposal. I fill Grolsh bottles at the moment.

Two batches of beer on hand is heaps enough for me, I'm not a huge drinker. 120 bottles equates to 5 cartons so no need for rashening. When I get down to my last two cartons I will brew some more or get more sediment catchers.
I have a bottling wand with a little stainless ball that fills the bottles & is attached to the fermentor tap via food grade hose. If I undershoot my volume, a quick touch on the inside of the bottle neck & alls good to cap.

It's a little strange that on one hand you're talking about the minimal difference in taste when comparing bottle-conditioned beer to kegged beer, but at the same time you're happy to swill it out of a stubby

Unfortunately all my mates are megaswill drinkers & unlike myself, they don't particularly see the hype in drinking from a glass as I do.
It really comes down to costs really & the rip off prices I am paying have made me look into cheaper alternatives. I really don't mind the laborious task of cleaning bottles, it's quite quick & easy really. One thing that really annoyed me was when I took my Co2 bottle in for exchange, they had none to swap & I had to wait 3 days for a replacement. Piss poor service I reckon.

I have a six-pack of those Brodie sediment reducers as well.

I think they are great!

I must admit I haven't used them for a while, was a bit of a novelty thing. But I have used them a couple of times, and even recapped after a month upside down and then a week in the fridge. That way the bottle looks "normal", has no sediment and after an hour in the freezer before recapping it looses minimal with carbonation from the recap.
Nice if you want to send a bottle to someone or hand off a bottle of your finest to someone without having to go through the whole

-yeah, it's homebrew
-so don't shake the bottle, ok?
-and remember to keep in the fridge for a couple of days
-STANDING UP!
-then carefully pour in a jug so you can get it all out without disturbing the sediment..
-sediment? Yes, it's homebrew
-not bothered, eh? I'll just drink it myself, then..

Aaah, wish I had a keg setup and a counter-pressue bottle filler..

:D

I like the Brodies. Brilliant little product, fill bottles and store them on the head for a month. Then in the fridge to drop out "stuff" before turning them right side up, or they may drop out stuff after you unscrew the top part.

thanks
Bjorn

Hi Bjornj,

It's amazing how many people run for the hills when you offer them a homebrew. Quite a different story once they taste a decent All grain though.
Great to hear from somebody using them. Have you found any sediment in the bottle after the sediment catcher has been removed? I was looking at storing them as instructed for a full 4 weeks at 20-22 deg & removing the sediment catcher then. Chill them down to 4 deg & start drinking. Have you had any late sediment drop down after the full 4 week carbonation?

Hmmm, you forgot to mention the same post you did in 2008.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...ic=24756&hl

I dont mean to be harsh, but I can spot the affiliation a mile away. Its a good product, dont degrade it with masquerading. Be proud, post it up in the retail/for sale area and tell everyone how good it is.

Rendo

Hi all,
For all you guys bottling your beer, I stumbled accross this website. It may be beneficial to you.

http://sedexbrewing.com/

Cheers,
Crusty

rendo,

The first topic I started about the sediment catchers was asking anyone on here if they have used them as I am looking to buy some. The second similar topic was started 4 or so days later after I seen them in action.
I don't sell these or want to sell these to anyone on the AHB forum. The only thing I will probably be selling is my keg setup.

Crusty, I want to give up my kegging and get back into bottleing. I hate sediment. I want to buy some of these caps.

Can you give me a link to your store?

Come on, guys.. What's with the attitude?

It's allowed to be enthusiastic about a a newly found product, for sure?

:D

I found that storing the bottles upside down for a month in the cupboard before unscrewing the top part with pliers works great for me. I am a bit afraid to do it without the pliers as they are not that easy to hold upside down and screw without me worrying about opening the actual bottle.
Or maybe that's just me, but I found it a lot easier this way.

I had a couple of bottles in the fridge for some time, I like to let them clear this way.
Then I had some sediment in the bottle in at least one of them from memory, can't remember if it was much or just enough to notice it. But remember thinking that from now on, I will try to have them in the fermentation fridge at 1 degree for a week before unscrewing the top part just as an extra precaution.
Having only a six pack of the Brodies, this works out well logistically.

All in all it's just another fun part of the brew day, another thing to sort out when bottling.

thanks
Bjorn

Come on, guys.. What's with the attitude?

It's allowed to be enthusiastic about a a newly found product, for sure?
Bjorn
as rendo has pointed out, he didnt just discover them. he made a post 2 yrs ago about them.
now after re-reading all the stuff it does seem that he is affiliated. if so, its poor form. but innocent until proven guilty. wait and see what his reply is to the claim that he is affiliated before lighting the toreches and getting the pitchforks.

I personally dont think they are worth the money. but thats me. if others think they are worth the money, then knock themselves out.

Crusty

I may not be the most intelligent bloke on the planet but since you already have a keg setup and feel the need to spend $100s on these sediment catchers why not try this idea on for size.

Naturally prime your beer in the keg since you are convinced its the bees knees.

Spend a fraction of the cost of those individual sediment catchers by buying one big one - some people call them 'filters'. I call them big sediment catchers :D

You already have a CPBF so you can still bottle the beer and get nice clear beer you can drink straight from the stubby.

I personally find that given enough conditioning time prior to kegging (that is, a nice long lagering/ccing period) and i have bright beer going into the keg that is ready for drinking.

When i want to take beer somewhere and drink out of a stubby i use the CPBF.

At home its all about the big phat pint glass full of malty goodnness :beer:

Cheers
DrSmurto

Crusty

I may not be the most intelligent bloke on the planet but since you already have a keg setup and feel the need to spend $100s on these sediment catchers why not try this idea on for size.

Naturally prime your beer in the keg since you are convinced its the bees knees.

Spend a fraction of the cost of those individual sediment catchers by buying one big one - some people call them 'filters'. I call them big sediment catchers :D

You already have a CPBF so you can still bottle the beer and get nice clear beer you can drink straight from the stubby.

I personally find that given enough conditioning time prior to kegging (that is, a nice long lagering/ccing period) and i have bright beer going into the keg that is ready for drinking.

When i want to take beer somewhere and drink out of a stubby i use the CPBF.

At home its all about the big phat pint glass full of malty goodnness :beer:

Cheers
DrSmurto
Follow the Doctors Orders ;)

a cpbf would be nice to have.

A couple of points on this thread...

1/ Kegs take longer to "settle" than bottles, unless your bottles are the same size as a keg that is...so you'll almost always get a different "taste" in just 4 weeks...

2/ drinking straight from a "bottle", whether it's a stubbie or otherwise removes your sense of smell from the experience, so will always "taste" different than from a glass (whether from a keg or a bottle/stubbie)

Had a couple of friends over yesterday who didn't know I homebrewed, so I offered them a beer.

First half of each longneck went into their glass, second half went into mine.

They got crystal clear beer, and I got to drink beer twice as fast as them. It was a win-win situation :)

After a couple, they asked me what brand of beer it was, and after telling them, they asked for another. I don't think they're going to take up the hobby any time soon, but at least theirs a couple of extra guys out there know that HB isn't just the cloudy, cidery stuff uni students make.

A couple of points on this thread...

1/ Kegs take longer to "settle" than bottles, unless your bottles are the same size as a keg that is...so you'll almost always get a different "taste" in just 4 weeks...

2/ drinking straight from a "bottle", whether it's a stubbie or otherwise removes your sense of smell from the experience, so will always "taste" different than from a glass (whether from a keg or a bottle/stubbie)

I rarely keg out of the fermenter, I normally cold crash for at least a week in a cube (for ales, and at least 10 days for true lagers). Gelatine goes into the bottom of the cube first then the beer run in to mix well, then Polyclar a couple of days before kegging. With my 23L cube there are always 4 bottles extra. So I bottle them off first from the cube and then the beer that runs into the keg is usually crystal clear. The bottles of course get the available yeast and carb up fairly quickly. These are just archive bottles to see what they are like in a month or longer. The kegged beer, after top-pressure carbing, is usually great crystal clear drinking within a few days. So yes the bottles end up tasting quite different, and in fact I don't normally like them as much as the kegs. For comps or BBQs or to take a couple of bottles into my fan club at work, then I use the CPBF.

Sorry for off topic but how are people storing their CPBF beers.? Is it possible to fill from keg using the CPBF then store in cupboard? Or do they need to be stored in the fridge and if so how long are they keeping carbed up?

Brad

Here's a rocket-science way of drinking clear beer out of the bottle.

1.) Hold in your right hand an opened, cold 375ml bottle of homebrew.

2.) Hold in your left hand a clean, empty 375ml bottle.

3.) Touch the bottle tops together and gently pour the full bottle into the empty bottle.

4.) Stop before any sediment transfers.

5.) Enjoy your clear beer in a bottle.

:D BTW - I have a patent on this marvelous technique.

I dont mean to be harsh, but I can spot the affiliation a mile away. Its a good product, dont degrade it with masquerading. Be proud, post it up in the retail/for sale area and tell everyone how good it is.

Wow,

rendo,You can spot an affiliation a mile off, you must be psychic. Get the pitchfork out & shove it you know where. You are a turkey mate. Have a look at the replies I got to those threads, absolute squat. Nothing useful there.
I don't know how good they are, I haven't used them, thats why I'm after someone thats using them. It seems some of the replies are coming from people who haven't used them & have about as much idea of them as I do, absoulte 0.
1. I work for Australia Post, I am a Postie.
2. I have no affiliation with the company. I have ordered 6 units from them to try for myself. Asking as much info on a product I haven't tried myself is the best solution for answers. Ask people who have tried them. Makes perfect sense to me.
3. I have my own company, Helbri Pty Ltd, which is affiliated with my Australia Post contract run, nothing to do with Sed-Ex sediment catchers.

Phillip,

My website is dontpostifuhavenoidea.com
I could probably use a couple of turkeys on the board & you & rendo would be great for that postition. He has real psychic abilities.

CM2,

I could use a really knowledgeable advice offering bloke on the board too, I'll send you the paperwork so we can get started.

The scepitcism on here is frightening.

Thank you to those that have posted advice & ideas & to those who take the time to post comments & offer zero advice need to not bother posting on a thread which you clearly know nothing about.

Back