No-kill Fermentation Fridge Heater

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpillsMostOfIt

Self-Propelled, Portable Meat-Based Filtration Sys
Reaction score
Since my fermentation moved out of the house and so became subject to sub-zero temperatures in winter (and autumn and spring), I've been using the traditional homebrew Heater Of Death to add heat into my fermentation fridge. Although others seem to have no issue using and recommending such setups, I've never been entirely happy with the thing.

Over time, I've been collecting the bits to make a low-voltage fridge heater so that I no longer have 240V (not the new-fangled 230V commonly found in mains-connected homes) inside the fridge. When my last incandescent globe blew on the weekend, I locked myself in the workshop and built the thing.

I've described it enough on my Blog, but here is a pic:

IMG_0816.JPG

The halogen transformer sits outside the fridge and is controlled by a Temp/Fridge Mate for the time being.

My fermentation fridge is a F&P upside-down fridge freezer that holds four Bunnings-like fermenters in the top cabinet and two in the lower cabinet. This device lives in the top cabinet warming whatever is in there.

I know it is more expensive than a standard light globe or a reptile heater or a pad or a belt and isn't a whole bunch of things, but it is safer than many options and I thought it might give someone an idea on how to ferment more safely.

Latest posts

Back