No Irish, please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cranky Irish seething at their mistreatment by the rest of society pretty much describes the demographic that became the Australian Labor Party. I don't think anti-Irish prejudice - or, a related variant, anti-Catholic prejudice - really exists in Australia now in a strong form.

C S Lewis tells a story from his early years - when he was five years old he told his father, "I have a prejudice against the Irish". "Why?" "If I knew that, it wouldn't be a prejudice." Smart kid....incidentally, he was from Ireland himself, though maybe his family were all from an English background - at any rate, he was sent to a succession of English boarding schools.

Being from Ireland myself, most of the racist profiles of Irish people that I have experienced have been positive. Having an Irish accent is an attribute in many countries. People tend to be happy to listen to you.
We also have the reputation of being very hard working. Work hard and play hard does not usually put most employers off as they will happily listen to tales of what you did last night while happily doing your job to a high standard.
I wouldn't employ me to teach kids though! I might just teach them english by letting them watch Father Ted & Mrs Browns Boys just to confuse the little feckers.

NealK said:
I wouldn't employ me to teach kids though! I might just teach them english by letting them watch Father Ted & Mrs Browns Boys just to confuse the little feckers.
That's a beautiful thought

Dave70 said:
She replied to the recruiter but has heard nothing back.

I understand your clients sentiments. However, I do not drink alcohol nor do I consume animal products.

Why the **** do vegans (supposing she isn't Hindu) imagine this droll factoid is pertinent to basically any conversation?

She is simply putting forth her dietary requirements, as you are requested to do whenever you are being catered for.

The recruiter most likely said 'Well I guess she wont like the cat soup we serve up every day' and tossed her CV in the trash.

TimT said:
Cranky Irish seething at their mistreatment by the rest of society pretty much describes the demographic that became the Australian Labor Party. I don't think anti-Irish prejudice - or, a related variant, anti-Catholic prejudice - really exists in Australia now in a strong form.
I agree, although I think it would be naive to imply people today are free from the impact of this prejudice. Disadvantage is intergenerational, and the great grandchildren of those who WERE directly disadvantaged because of their Irish Catholic heritage may still have below average educational & employment outcomes today. I'm not describing myself so much, but it does make me think about how directly disadvantaged communities today may be impacted for generations to come.

When I think of the Irish I always think of the leprechaun in Movie 43

don't F%#k with the Irish

Dave70 said:
'Oh no thanks, I can enjoy myself without alcohol'.

Pfft..as if.
Online Brewing Supplies said:
Me touching my self (almost), I know you wanted to see me do that ;)
attachicon.gif
toe touch.jpg
OBS, is that you enjoying yourself without alcohol?

There's only two things I hate in this world.

People who judge others based on their culture.

And the Dutch

Chris, the Dutch have made some important contributions. Being from Tassie, surely you've benefitted from an olliebollen or ten?

My take on his joke was that he could have inserted any nationality in there for the same effect.

I am an angry man though.

I'm not racist, but we should round up all those Dutch assholes and put them in camps. Where's your wooden shoes now you dirty dike fingerers?

A Dutch mate's father told me sour a joke once.

Q: Where did the Dutch come from?

A: A German fucked a pig.

I said, I don't get it. He replied, that's because you're not Dutch.

I reasoned since he packed up immigrated to Australia, he was simply prejudiced toward his fellow Dutchmen.
He was also singularly the most arrogant human I may have ever known. Far to much for a man who sold flowers for a living.

I'm not so much racially prejudiced against the Dutch but for arrogance and that incredibly grating accent the Afrikaans have to be a lot worse than those from the land of their fathers.

wide eyed and legless said:
I'm not so much racially prejudiced against the Dutch but for arrogance and that incredibly grating accent the Afrikaans have to be a lot worse than those from the land of their fathers.
Afrikaans is the language. The people are the Booer or Afrikkaners.

Back