No Irish, please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder how other countries hear the Australian accent. Whenever an American puts on an Australian accent it sounds like a failed attempt at Cockney.

TimT said:
I wonder how other countries hear the Australian accent. Whenever an American puts on an Australian accent it sounds like a failed attempt at Cockney.
Is it just to our ear I wonder? I don't think I've ever heard a convincing Aussie accent done by an actor. Maby Meryl Streep gets a pass.
Must be worse for Irish, everyone slaughters that accent. Not that they'd notice cos they're drunk all the time.

http://youtu.be/2hOLm_k6eCs

Nope I'm sure it's not just us. You'd have to think we'd be experts in our very own accent, but maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part :)

What fascinates me is not only do people in different countries speak differently, but they hear differently too. (I think of it this way - people not only speak with an accent, but they listen with an accent too.) So an Australian accent to a Yank sounds like some weird UK accent. Obviously the Australian accent doesn't sound that way to people in the UK, since they live with the real thing and ought to be able to tell the difference.

Dave70 said:
Is it just to our ear I wonder? I don't think I've ever heard a convincing Aussie accent done by an actor. Maby Meryl Streep gets a pass.
Must be worse for Irish, everyone slaughters that accent. Not that they'd notice cos they're drunk all the time.
FFS, I wanted to post the Dumb and Dumber scene. Too slow.

Oh well,. Lloyd Christmas you magnificent *******!

Back