No Hop Flavour Or Aroma

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sluggerdog

Beer In Here
Reaction score
I am wanting to try to make a super easy drinking lager/pils and I am thinking about using no hop flavour or aroma.

Has anyone done this before and if so how does it turn out?

My Plan is the following:

85% Pils Malt
11% Vienna Malt
4% Carapils

German Hallertauer Hops Bittered to 28 IBU

Wyeast Danish Lager

I have done brews in the past with low amounts of flavour (15 grams per 20 litre batch) but have never tried a brew with no hop flavour or aroma..

The other thought is to only add the smallest amount of hops (around 10 grams per 20 litres) I am looking to try and create a brew similar to a becks/stella with more of a malty flavour.. maybe even up the vienna a little more or change to munich? Want a great session brew that my Non HB Mates will like that I can brew in double batches.

Cheers
SD :party:

I've only done it as an aussie style ale with a single POR addition @ 60 min.(30 IBU's)

Turns out clean crisp and malt driven,perfect for an ale.

As a lager i would say that everything will need to be totally sanitary and brew temps adhered to as any off flavours or nuances will be evident, IE diacetyl, sulphur etc.......

GO 4 it and report back :D

I am wanting to try to make a super easy drinking lager/pils and I am thinking about using no hop flavour or aroma.

Has anyone done this before and if so how does it turn out?

Ah, yep - there about half a dozen breweries in Australia that have been doing just that for the past 50 to 70 years.

But seriously, your recipe looks fine but watch the bittering balance doesnt exceed the malt flavour. I reckon you are at the top of the envelope as it is with the Vienna.

Good luck!

Wes

Cheers Wes and Brauluver, I might lower the IBU's to around 25

Too Easy!

Back