No-chill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigfella

Reaction score
I was wondering if someone could point me to the original no chill topic.
I am thinking of trying it next time but I want to have a read first. I've done a search for the last hour but haven't been able to find it.

Thanks Bigfella

I was wondering if someone could point me to the original no chill topic.
I am thinking of trying it next time but I want to have a read first. I've done a search for the last hour but haven't been able to find it.

Thanks Bigfella

Google this: "no chill" site:aussiehomebrewer.com should find heaps of info

Google this: "no chill" site:aussiehomebrewer.com should find heaps of info

Yeah I've done this and have found heaps but can't seem to find the original tread.

I just want to see what technique people are using.

I hope u dont plan on using this method for about 3 years. It will take that long to read all the posts on the subject and another year to sort the crap from the fact.
GOOD LUCK Bigfella

I hope u dont plan on using this method for about 3 years. It will take that long to read all the posts on the subject and another year to sort the crap from the fact.
GOOD LUCK Bigfella
Yeah bit of a worry that.

Can anyone give me the 10 lines or less explanation?

It's pretty simple Bigfella, straight after the wort has boiled you drain the kettle into a pre sanitised and cleaned cube( minimise splashing), screw on the lid whilst expelling as much air as possible from the cube by squeezing the sides, screw the lid on tight and lay the cube full of very hot wort on it's side to immerse the inside of the handle in the hot wort, sit it back upright.
Leave overnight or for a week if you want and then tip straight into your fermenter and pitch yeast.

An EXTREMELY well cleaned and sanitised cube is ESSENTIAL.

It's pretty simple Bigfella, straight after the wort has boiled you drain the kettle into a pre sanitised and cleaned cube( minimise splashing), screw on the lid whilst expelling as much air as possible from the cube by squeezing the sides, screw the lid on tight and lay the cube full of very hot wort on it's side to immerse the inside of the handle in the hot wort, sit it back upright.
Leave overnight or for a week if you want and then tip straight into your fermenter and pitch yeast.

Done!

The rest is history. I will give it a crack.

Thanks for that.

Yeah bit of a worry that.

Can anyone give me the 10 lines or less explanation?

Unlikely. Here's an interpretation of what I do.

About half an hour before you turn off your burner, sanitise the Henry out of an HDPE jerry can or cube. I use the blue Willow things.
Drain the jerry so it is ready to use as you turn off your burner. Have a hose sanitised and ready to go along with your syphon or spigot.
Burner off? Drain the kettle into the jerry/cube.
Put the top on the jerry/cube and squeeze as much air out of it as you can. Tighten the cap and return to the fun stuff (cleaning your kit).

Next day, it should be about at pitching temp. Pour it into your fermenter and continue on as usual. If you're anal about such things, leave the yerck that has settled with the bottom couple of litres in the jerry/cube.

turn off burner
whirlpool (or however you avoid your break)
run wort into a 20 -25l blue plastic jerry can/cube
Squeeze as much air out as possible, (knee in side of cube works)
Seal
come back in 15 mins and roll cube so the section that had the air buble in now covered in hot wort
leave overnight
Pour vigorously into fermenter and pitch

8 Lines :D

EDIT: Wow 4 mins and 5 responses .. also i echo the sanitize remarks !

An EXTREMELY well cleaned and sanitised cube is ESSENTIAL.

WOW. Great explanation Andrew. If only that was the only explanation requied on this subject. You make it sound so simple, and you did not even mention Botulism or any other Cancer causing, global warming or head shrinking possiblilities with this method.
Sorry, see Bigfella. Thats what I am like now after reading all the posts on this subject.

Steve

If you want to brew fairly soon after your brew day (i.e. next day) then this is the go.

Turn off kettle
Run wort into a clean FERMENTER via a clean hose
Leave over night or until ready to pitch yeast

3 lines!

Cheers
Steve

WOW. Great explanation Andrew. If only that was the only explanation requied on this subject. You make it sound so simple, and you did not even mention Botulism or any other Cancer causing, global warming or head shrinking possiblilities with this method.
Sorry, see Bigfella. Thats what I am like now after reading all the posts on this subject.

Steve

OOps, my bad :lol:

Yeah I must admit I was a bit worried about starting a whole new thread of controversy. That was not my intention. I had just heard a lot of talk about the subject and was looking at getting a few brews done for xmas and don't have much time.

Well done guys I think it has been well summed up in 10 lines or less.

EDIT: Wow 4 mins and 5 responses .. also i echo the sanitize remarks !

And they all say the same thing!

Yep i think its thread close time... we dont want this one exploding like teh original thread!

Couple of points that have been missed or need clarifying. You want a food grade container that is spotless and sanitised. Rack via a tube as you don't want to oxygenate the hot wort. The wort that is running off is at close to 100 deg C. This is hot and will burn you. If you are keeping the wort for more than a day or two, you want zero headspace. If there is any swelling and extra headspace after a week or so, you have picked up a bug and it is brewing.

Bigfridge has contributed a few times to the no chill thread. He uses this technique for commercial brewing, make sure you follow his suggestions.

Its very simple as has been explained here. The mods can now delete the other no chill thread and free up 10 gig of memory :D

Rook

Back