No Chill What The Hell Happened?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBird

Reaction score
Yesterday I put my wort filled cube in the fridge along side of a starter I'm fermenting at 22 degrees in readiness for crash cooling to around 10 degrees.

Today I checked the starter to see if it was fermenting and was shocked to find the cube swollen to such an extent that I thought it might explode.

The cube had been filled about four days earlier and allowed to cool down to ambient temp. This is about my sixth no chill and I did what I always have done in the past. Sanitized the cube with starsan, filled the cube with hot wort and sqeezed as much air as possible out of the cube before sealing it (the sides were drawn in and remained this way until after I put it in the fridge).

This looks like an infection (my first in years) to me and I'm wondering if I should go ahead with pitching the yeast.

Any suggestions welcomed

Cheers

Yesterday I put my wort filled cube in the fridge along side of a starter I'm fermenting at 22 degrees in readiness for crash cooling to around 10 degrees.

Cheers

Taste it, does it taste similar, like its being fermented by the beer yeast?

I'd say when you moved it, it may have let a bit of air in which may have also allowed wild or brewer's yeast in. If it were me, i'd pitch the yeast in there anyway, see what happens, it may turn out fine.. hopefully.

At worst you've wasted the starter.

You could always re-boil it, might throw your hop additions out of whack though.

TBird,

The beer is infected - chuck it. Life's too short for bad beer.

Cheers Ross

You don't wanna see the inside of my fridge then yob, nasty :icon_vomit:

photo's or it didnt happen

e5260723.jpg

is that a kitten in the top? :p

yup, thats one old fridge... for christ sake dont scrub it, the rust is holding it together!!

:lol:

WHOA!!!

DUDE!!

CLEAN YOUR ******* FRIDGE YOU FILTHY PIG!!

My fridges get dirty pretty quick. Having them set at 18 degrees must do it.

Anyone know if you can put a container of something in the fridge that will kill or deter bugs but not harm your beer?

Latest posts

Back