No Chill What The Hell Happened?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My fridges get dirty pretty quick. Having them set at 18 degrees must do it.

Anyone know if you can put a container of something in the fridge that will kill or deter bugs but not harm your beer?

Few misty squirts of starsan onto the cavity walls does a magnificent job... seems to help prevent mold from coming back for ages

Also hit the beer dregs in the bottom...

Just wiped out my fridge this morning with the left over starsan from a brew day ;)

I just use a bit of spray bathroom cleaner like AJAX or whatever, does the trick and kills pretty much any mould in there... does smell like a public pool for a while though.

I still avoid actual bathroom cleaning though.

I actually find if I use starsan in the fridge it has a negative affect. Like it'll pool somewhere and once the acid affect has worn off mould will grow right where the starsan was!

I clean and wipe it out at the moment but it does get mould etc after a few batches.

I just use a bit of spray bathroom cleaner like AJAX or whatever, does the trick and kills pretty much any mould in there... does smell like a public pool for a while though.

I still avoid actual bathroom cleaning though.

:party: :lol:

is that a kitten in the top? :p

yup, thats one old fridge... for christ sake dont scrub it, the rust is holding it together!!

:lol:
Yup, tis a kitten.

I would never dream of scrubbing it, it'll lose all it's character :lol:

I'll say the next bad strain of Ebola virus maybe lurking in that fridge.

Yuko man :p :huh:

Batz

Thanks guys

I think it's well and truly stuffed and out it goes along with the cube. It's just the cost of all the materials and the work put into it that shits me as well as my first contaminated brew in may years (well as far as I could tell).

Ahh well "once more unto the breach dear friends, once more"

Cheers

Chuck the cube too...

I forgot to clean a cube after trasnferring my last no chill into the fermenter - realised the other day that it's now creating new life forms.

Would a nuke-from-orbit-with-bleach approach be enough to get this clean properly? Any other ideas? I would just feed it to the tip, but it's my only cube in current working order :/

e5260723.jpg

EEEEK!!!!

Need bleach much? :p

Show your fridge some love man, just think of all the sweet beer she looks after for you.

:lol:

My other fridge isn't that bad, and my food fridge is even cleaner :lol:

I'd say when you moved it, it may have let a bit of air in which may have also allowed wild or brewer's yeast in.

After a lot of thinking about this, I think Argon, you are on the money. I believe air must have gotten in either through the cap or the tap.

Thanks

Let's keep the personal stuff offline please guys.
Cleaned up the thread, wish I could do the same to that fridge :p

After a lot of thinking about this, I think Argon, you are on the money. I believe air must have gotten in either through the cap or the tap.

Thanks
What kind of cube was it by the way. I've always had trouble with the Blue willow ones not sealing properly. Hence once i've filled a cube i just leave it in place until i'm ready to pitch... PITA! Good that you know for next time.

What kind of cube was it by the way. I've always had trouble with the Blue willow ones not sealing properly. Hence once i've filled a cube i just leave it in place until i'm ready to pitch... PITA! Good that you know for next time.

It was one Ross supplies with the fresh wort kits which I've used on a few occasions now without problem. Also I was thinking in future I might use some keg lube on the cap seal as I think the drop in temp (about 4 degrees) may have been enough to perhaps shrink the seal slightly and (along with lifting the cube to place it in the fridge) therefore allowing outside air into the cube (just a thought).

Cheers

Strange then... i prefer Ross' FWK ones. Best seal of all the cubes i've used. Keg lube wouldn't be a bad idea to be honest. Who knows why it blew up? Just one of those unexplained things i guess.

The willow jerrys seal better if you back them off a little bit from 'tight'

Unlikely it was air getting back in.
When you've filled your cube, put it on it's side to cool, this will get the hot wort up into the handle where it's hard to clean effectively & can easily be the source of infection.
Also make sure you remove the tap plug from the cube & clean properly as this is also another point where germs can get trapped & is not effectively sanitised by hot wort.

cheers Ross

Anyone know if you can put a container of something in the fridge that will kill or deter bugs but not harm your beer?

try bicarb soda, put a wack of it in an open container and it would draw out any moist/humid air.

This is an old photo, but I just have a bleach mix in a spray bottle.
When i take the fermenter out to keg, I give the fridge a few squirts as a mist and the same during brewday before I put a new batch in.

I don't get mold buildup at all, it stays clean and shiny and it keeps insects out.

This fridge would be about 20+ years old.

d1008cf201a608d20b47d22ff22f17e2_61402_lrg.jpg

Back