No Chill Query

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baulko Brewer

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I recently came upon a Birko Urn and am planning on doing my 1st BIAB batch in it this weekend.

A thought struck me last night that as I am not using my stove pot this time. Normally, I would chill in the sink, but can't obviously put the urn in the sink and I don't have an immersion chiller, so I need to no chill (I presume)

Having not ever done this and not owning a cube, i need to see if I can pour hot wort into my fermenter, seal it up and place in my fermenting fridge to cool over night, then pitch in the morning.

I am wondering a couple of things, is this feasable and also when I click the "no Chill Option on Brewmate all the IBU's etc go all out of whack (bitterness way up, aroma I assume goes down). Do i need to compensate my hops to adjust for no chill accordingly? I don't think that I understand hops well enough to change recipes willy nilly to accommodate

Also, I understand that no chill creates a beer haze- is this correct??

Any ideas/insight will be eternally grateful

Andrew

can pour hot wort into my fermenter, seal it up and place in my fermenting fridge to cool over night, then pitch in the morning.
yes.. plenty people do this... although there are risks of infection leaving the wort exposed for the time it takes to cool. Not strictly "no-chill" though

Do i need to compensate my hops to adjust for no chill accordingly?
Many people adjust, many don't. I adjust by taking 15mins off my bittering charge

Also, I understand that no chill creates a beer haze- is this correct??
Nope

Here you go

Plenty of info to be found.

here too

Good on you Argon.

Thanks for the info mate.

So if I understand correctly, you don't perceive this as "no chill" therfore you wouldn't make hop adjustments, but if you wanted to feel comfortable you would reduce bittering from 60 min boil to 45min. I know that I am asking you to repeat yourself, but just want to clarify. As this is my 1st in the new Urn, I am determined that this is to be the best beer I have made, not because of the gear (trademan and his tools etc), but because, getting it right, means I have no excuses ;)

I did go through the google search, but with so many wide and varied responses and debates, I thought it best just to ask directly.

When i say it's not "no chill" (note the quotation marks), i mean it's not done in accordance with the widely acceptable practice of sealing hot wort into a container which then self pasteurizes allowing it to be kept sealed for an extended period of time.

Adopting your proposed process, you are not quickly chilling the wort to below utilization temperatures.

Therefore, as the wort slowly cools, bitterness will continue to be extracted from the hops (regardless of if the solid matter is present or not) You will get more bitter wort than if you chilled it immediately. How bitter is a matter of experience. As earlier, i knock off 15mins from my bittering charge as i feel my "no chill" process adds that amount of approximate bitterness to the wort, compared to rapid chilling. Others say 20, others not at all.

I have heard some people here successfully wrap their urn up in glad wrap and sit the whole urn in a cool place and transfer to FV the following day.

Latest posts

Back