no chill effects

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seehuusen

Reaction score
Hey guys,

As I was brewing today, I got a few moments to reflect on different ideas of brewing picked up over the past little while on here.
One of my tests has been chilling the wort vs no chill, and with that came some observations and thoughts that I thought I'd get your opinion on.

I compare chilling vs no chill to boiling eggs. If you cook up two batches of similar eggs, and at that magic mark of 4-ish minutes pull them off the heat, one you strain and add cold water to, and the other you don't add cold water to. What you generally end up with, is one lot of eggs being nice and runny and the other hard and perfect for your sandwich... In that order...

In the same fashion, chilling the wort and you won't be cooking the hops, thus getting the delicious fruity aromas, but leave it to no chill and you get the face punching bitterness that I also love (I like both).

What I was contemplating while brewing today, was the use of a hop sock, I add the hops during the boil, then remove the hops after the boil, then no chill... What do I end up with?

I'm interested in hearing about all these aspects, perhaps I've gotten the wrong end of the stick and you can't compare eggs to hops, no matter how yummy both are in their own right :) Or perhaps my thoughts on no-chill vs chilling is completely off too, keen to hear your thoughts :)

Cheers
Martin

Basic Brewing Radio did an experiment on chilling vs no chilling. Results at 33 minute mark.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/basicbrewing/bbr07-05-12nochillexp02.mp3

With your hop sock comment, if you whirlpool, wouldn't the hops be left behind with the trub anyway?

By hop sock I mean a cloth bag which contains my hop pellets. This is suspended in the boiling wort. Once 60 mins is up I pull it out and have no hop residue with my trub.

Thanks for the link, will listen to that tomorrow.

Yom, isn't cube hopping about adding hops once the wort is finished?

I'm wondering if the flavour will be different, if you remove the hops at 0 mins, and then no chill?

Of course it will be different. You just adjust what you do (when to add, how much, etc) according to preference and desired results.

About 6mths ago I made a double batch, (BIAB) of Dr Smurtos Goldens Ale, during the boil I stuffed up and only put in the hop additions for a single batch, realising this I added the remainder of the hops to my 2 cubes and poured the hot wort in,(no chill), was the most flavoursome of this recipe I've ever done, I've been cube hopping ever since.

manticle said:
Of course it will be different
In what way though?
I'm sitting on 3 versions of the same beer, chilled, no-chill and less hop no-chill/dry hopped... And I find that the last one is bigger in the malt department, with fruity flavours from the dry hop. Just curious if other people find the same to be the case?

Yom, Gregos, I'll have to give that a bash. Sounds similar to a hop-back, but straight in the cube?

Once you do cube hop then you have another choice to make, do I transfer the cube hop residue to the fermenter or leave it behind?

I've tried both and I find the hop trub leaves a greasy hop residue on my tongue if I transfer it to the fermenter

if you search you will find using a hop sock wont stop the oils from becoming more bitter with no chill.

The oils are extracted and will continue to isomerise in the hot wort.

For my money search "argons" method. add no hops to the boil at all. u can split batches and have completely different beers. all ipas apas are done by me this way. 200g of a high alpha hop is great for 18l.

I see it like bread making: simple, basic ingredients produce a whole lot of different results.

The difference is the technique.

So changing the technique changes the final beer. Maybe only subtly, but changed nonetheless.

Latest posts

Back