No Chill Cube

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The whole point of no-chilling is to transfer the wort to the cube while it's still hot (above 80C), which effectively pasteurises it and sanitises it to a degree. You don't add wort to a cube once it's cooled unless you're planning to ferment it in the cube, otherwise it will become infected; it's not a matter of if, but when. Simple as that. The head space in a fermenter is a non issue because you're pitching yeast straight away and fermenting it, plus you need some head space to accommodate the krausen, unless you've got a blow off tube set up, or enjoy cleaning up sludgy messes :p .

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
How do you stop air getting back in?

I've always gone no=chill in the fermenter and then rack off he fermented beer from the break when done.

I want to properly cube, and be a man.

I've done the knees to the wall, wort to the ball thing but it always expands back to 'normal' size with the air in the top. I just then ferment in the cube.

But I would rather be able to store some cubes.
Squeeze air out, tighten lid. Mine contract. If air gets in, you have a bad seal and cannot/should not store.

Chris79 said:
Didn't want to start a new thread. So asking here.

For those who ferment in a cube, do you just leave the screw top cap on? Or do you change it for something else that allows Co2 out?

Cheers
Chris
Yes lid on, backed off a turn or two. Krausen may leak, depending on headspace and yeast strain/health/vigour.

Easy to clean, just don't place on expensive carpet or sound system.

I've cubed plenty of beers and have only just experienced this suck back the other day. The cube had been used once only by craftbrewer as a FWK.

I did my normal routine but when I tightened the lid and released my knee it sucked in some air. Took me a couple of go's and a bit of fiddling but eventually got a good seal.

Be sure to not over tighten.
Lord Raja Goomba I said:
I've done that and screwed on tight but always seen the cube suck in a little air later as it expands back to square shape.

nosco said:
Haven't got around to fermenting in the cube but i rigged up one of these from Grain and Grape with some nylon hose to use as a blow off tube.
Before an O2 set up I used one of there to drop my wort from NC cube to ferementer. I believe that I was getting good O2 into the wort.

The whole thing about no chill cubes is sanitation, you better get it right or you loose. Once I had an infection in a cube (one in 9 years) and I blame myself for hurrying. Cube was then ditched, I now change out my cubes at lest every 18months.

Chris79 said:
Thanks for all the details around using a cube/keeping air out etc.

But, what if I'm adding the wort to the cube, once it's cooled, is there any issue with there being some air in the cube? Up until now I have added my wort (ambient temp/cooled) to my 30 litre ferment and have only usually filled it 22-22 ltrs. And I've had all that head space/dead space.
Why would you add once cooled?

Unless the cube is a fermenter and you are adding yeast immediately, you are totally negating the point of no chill.

I should have started a seperate thread.

I am talking about simply using the cube as a fermenter, and the practicalities of how people do that.

My setup, is rather simply at the moment a 19ltr pot from Big W, I haven't added a tap to it, so I would trust myself even with a funnel getting the hot wort into the cube.

When I (up until recently) used 2 big w pots, I would use a funnel into the cube.

Alternatively, I'd just bung straight into a fermenter (wide mouth) and then transfer or ferment "in the cube" so to speak. Given I don't brew to store, this has worked for a number of years for me.

Chris79 said:
I should have started a seperate thread.

I am talking about simply using the cube as a fermenter, and the practicalities of how people do that.

My setup, is rather simply at the moment a 19ltr pot from Big W, I haven't added a tap to it, so I would trust myself even with a funnel getting the hot wort into the cube.

It's a plastic (HDPE) vessel, same as a stock standard fermenter. You can drill out the lid and fit an airlock or simply back the lid off a couple of notches. Easy.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
When I (up until recently) used 2 big w pots, I would use a funnel into the cube.

Alternatively, I'd just bung straight into a fermenter (wide mouth) and then transfer or ferment "in the cube" so to speak. Given I don't brew to store, this has worked for a number of years for me.
Cheers Raja, I properly should just get a wider funnel and pour straight into the cube.

I did the alternative way you mention here, today.
manticle said:
It's a plastic (HDPE) vessel, same as a stock standard fermenter. You can drill out the lid and fit an airlock or simply back the lid off a couple of notches. Easy.
Cheers again, manticle. I took on your earlier suggestion, and backed off the lid a few notches.

What I'm happier about is now being about to ferment in my bar fridge. To keep my ale's down at a better temp in this weather, and ferment lagers when I want.

Chris79 said:
Cheers again, manticle. I took on your earlier suggestion, and backed off the lid a few notches.

What I'm happier about is now being about to ferment in my bar fridge. To keep my ale's down at a better temp in this weather, and ferment lagers when I want.
Backing off the lid or a bit of gladwrap and elastic band will work fine but as manticle mentioned it can get a bit messy and krausen may leak depending on headspace.

A simple way to contain this and keep your bar fridge clean is to seal the cap and ferment in the cube with the tap uppermost and a blow off tube attached to it.

When the blow off stops bubbling, close the tap remove the blow off and stand the cube upright. You could stand the cube upright after a day or so and loosen the lid if it’s not overflowing through the blow off.

I posted pictures of this method post #52 in this thread if your interested.

Hey guys, I've just bought a 25l cube and am syphoning as we speak. Is it ok to leave sone air in the headspace, or does it all have to come out?

Get out as much as you can. A little air isn’t the end of the world, but you want to keep it to a minimum.

Firstly how you gonna get it out? If you intend to start fermentation within the next couple of days it should be OK just make sure the hot wort touches all surfaces.

Well I figure the natural force of gravity might come in handy as I lift it up and pour it out into a fermenter, you know? Hopefully nothing changes too drastically to the ancient laws of physics between now and the coming days

I Star Sanned aswell so should be ok. Only something in the air could cause contamination

Latest posts

Back