No Chill and Boil time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
should be fine with the 40 min boil, have you considered the late additions as a cube hop addition?

I prefer to boil for 75 - 90 minutes for most beers BUT there are some people here who have been recently experimenting with shorter boils. Search '10 minute IPA school night' for some discussion.

Boil length serves a number of functions, including colour, flavour development and wort concentration so you'll obviously have to factor in things like boiloff, etc.

Yob said:
should be fine with the 40 min boil, have you considered the late additions as a cube hop addition?
So you would put all 40g in the cube loose?

I was thinking it needs a 20g dry hop on about day 5 (14day ferment)

You wouldn't want a 9 day galaxy dry hop, it will taste like grass!

I make Stone and Wood Pacific Ale and I do all of the hops in a hop stand post boil, same for Mountain Goat steam ale. I treat hop stand hops as a 12 minute addition when calculating IBU's.

MG actually add all hops to whirlpool for Steam Ale.

syl said:
You wouldn't want a 9 day galaxy dry hop, it will taste like grass!

I make Stone and Wood Pacific Ale and I do all of the hops in a hop stand post boil, same for Mountain Goat steam ale. I treat hop stand hops as a 12 minute addition when calculating IBU's.

MG actually add all hops to whirlpool for Steam Ale.
So skip the dry hop, or later or keg hop?

When cube hopping do you treat it as a 20 min steep or 20 min boil?

20 min boil though in reality its a steep

TBH, it's been a while since Ive even used software for my brews.. kinda just adjust on the fly these days... APA 100g in the cube IPA 150g.. possibly adjusted down +/- %20 depending on the hops

Yob said:
20 min boil though in reality its a steep

TBH, it's been a while since Ive even used software for my brews.. kinda just adjust on the fly these days... APA 100g in the cube IPA 150g.. possibly adjusted down +/- %20 depending on the hops
Gee, I'm being a bit conservative with my cube hops. I'm assuming this is a 20 litre cube Yob? And I know you said you don't use software, but do you know what percentage of IBUs you are getting from your cube addition?

Cheers

when I as working it all out, I aimed at 1/3 of the IBU from the boil, TBH, for an APA I could probably dial that back to 1/4 but I dont mind a bit of a bitter kick.

The Swap Stout we did had 50g Fuggle and 50g EKG (well, my cube did anyway) and is a bloody lovely and was based on 1/3 IBU form the boil..

I think the ratios would be better suited to 1/3 for IPA and 1/4 for APA's at about the hopping rate mentioned.

beercus, if I were you I'd put 40g straight in the cube and see how you go. If you find it too bitter or lacking in the galaxy flavour you were after, adjust next time to suit.

Not bitter enough, add the 15g during the whirlpool.
Too bitter, consider the 15g cube hop then doing a seperate steep (there's a thread on it somewhere) or knock back the addition to 30g.

I can't see a 15 and 10 min addition making a huge difference to the finished beer instead of a single 10 min addition.
Master your own system as everyone will do things slightly differently. Based on the number of threads and posts discussing this topic, it's a black art that you're best mastering through your own experience.

Using beersmith, when I add in 40g:
@ 10min boil -------> 23IBU
@ 20min boil ------> 39IU
@ 20min steep ---------> 20IBU

So i will go with 40g in the cube loose.... i will taste during fermentation and think about dry hop, and/or keg hop....

I agree that this is all trial and error which does not sit well with me as a trained scientist!

I will boil until i'm happy with the volume, i think it will probably be 40-60mins

Cheers

Beercus

Don't worry, I'm a stickler for numbers and used to get pretty cut with a mismatch in volume and OG or a hop addition a few minutes out.
Make a few mistakes and you'll get over it soon enough :lol: (and might even result in a pretty good outcome?)

TheWiggman said:
Don't worry, I'm a stickler for numbers and used to get pretty cut with a mismatch in volume and OG or a hop addition a few minutes out.
Make a few mistakes and you'll get over it soon enough :lol: (and might even result in a pretty good outcome?)
Thanks for that, i'm trying to slow down a little and play more with it, but its difficult to not get all empirical on it. I've been reading a lot about water profiles recently but need to not worry about that for a while, just get the basics down, i'm 8 AG BIAB brews in now.

Thanks

beercus

beercus said:
Using beersmith, when I add in 40g:
@ 10min boil -------> 23IBU
@ 20min boil ------> 39IU
@ 20min steep ---------> 20IBU

So i will go with 40g in the cube loose.... i will taste during fermentation and think about dry hop, and/or keg hop....

I agree that this is all trial and error which does not sit well with me as a trained scientist!

I will boil until i'm happy with the volume, i think it will probably be 40-60mins

Cheers

Beercus
How were the hops loose mate? Do you have a tap or siphon?

Last time I used hop bags in my cubes, they were a bit annoying to get out later with about 38g in them, so if loose works that's great!

Thanks, Nicko.

Latest posts

Back