No Carbonation?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddy401

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I bottled my coopers pale ale (extra strong) on the 24th of july, so been a month now and still no carbonation. ive followed the same process that has not failed me yet - using the brigalow sugar measurer to measure dextrose into each bottle, then cap, store in my room which sits around 18 degrees i think. im on the gold coast and its been a little chilly but usually i have fully carbed beers after 7 or 8 days.
the only difference with this beer is i racked half to a secondary fermenter - the first half i bottled then (a week before) and they are carbonated perfectly and have been for some time (stored in the same place). one thing i notice with the half that i racked is little to no sediment, at first i thought this to be a good thing but could this be a sign that there is not enough yeast present in the beer i bottled?? i didnt think racking would cause that problem.
any suggestions? option 1 is obviously to warm it up a bit but i think it should havecarbed already anyway, should i add more sugar and recap? dont want them to explode, or maybe add new yeast and recap?

thanks a lot

p.s it tastes good uncarbed which makes it even worse that i cant drink it yet!

Letting it sit in secondary for a week should help settle much of the yeast out, however, it will not remove all the yeast, there should still be ample for bottle carbonation.
Earlier this year I left a beer conditioning in secondary for 2 months and there was still (just) enough yeast to bottle carbonate.
When beer is lagered (at close to 0 for 4 weeks) there is still usually enough yeast for bottle conditioning, so there is no reason to think that only 1 week secondary should remove all the yeast.

I would leave it longer try to bring temps up but mine now are carbing up it 2-3 weeks it was 3-5 weeks when it was cooler. I would just slowly tip then upside down and then back up again a few times to get the yeast threw again. Also do you do this at bottling stage to make sure all the sugar does not stick to the bottom of the bottle? this doesnt matter if you bulk prime I found it more a pain to bulk prime then to just put in bottle

I think temperature is the main factor here. Up here in the Tropics all my beers carb up in about 4 days.

If you are priming bottles directly make sure the sugar is all dissolved before storing a good shake will not oxidise the brew if the bottles are nearly full.

whats the problem with oxidising the brew?

thanks for the feed back, ive inverted the bottles several times to try and mix it up a bit, my room is fairly warm now so we will see if that gets them carbonated. i noticed a couple of bottles had much more sediment, perhaps due to when they were bottled, but i will try one of them next time to see if they are carbonated.

I think temperature is the main factor here. Up here in the Tropics all my beers carb up in about 4 days.

If you are priming bottles directly make sure the sugar is all dissolved before storing a good shake will not oxidise the brew if the bottles are nearly full.

I bottled a lager that had been cold conditioned and was SUPER crystal clear on the 31st July, you'd swear there was no yeast, but I know there is...

stiol not properly carbed after 3.5 weeks...I'd say 50% carbed at most...far out...I am getting impatient, but I know it will carb, it has been cold under the house of late, even colder than lager brewing temps (used real lager yeast), I've moved the beer to a warmer place and will invert the bottles a few times over the next week....fingers crossed. I really dont want to have to take remedial action, but I will if I have to as the beer is FANTASTIC...its a lager with saaz and cascade hops...so yummy, similiar-ish to LCBA

rendo

whats the problem with oxidising the brew?

thanks for the feed back, ive inverted the bottles several times to try and mix it up a bit, my room is fairly warm now so we will see if that gets them carbonated. i noticed a couple of bottles had much more sediment, perhaps due to when they were bottled, but i will try one of them next time to see if they are carbonated.

Back