No carbonation and cloudy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDudeAbides

Reaction score
Hello.
I bottled an IPA a couple of weeks ago and popped the bottles in the shed, where all my beer is kept.
After two weeks it appears to not be carbonated (I opened one and there is no condensation in the bottles) and it is very cloudy. I have never had this issue before.
I am wondering whether it is too cold out in the shed now (usually around 12-15 degrees).
But I'm also thinking I didn't prime the bottles with enough.
Can the lack of priming sugar affect the cloudiness, or vice versa?
Any thoughts? I'm happier to wait longer, but if there is an issue, I'd rather get in there and solve it quick.
Cheers.

12-15 is pretty cold, what yeast did you use

Were they dead flat (ie no gas sound at all when opening) and was there any sign of yeast on the bottom of the bottle?

Also, are you talking about your shed reaching 12 - 15 max because depending on where you are the overnight minimums have been near freezing

I have noticed mine taking a little longer as it gets colder. I also give them a little shake after 1 or so weeks.

Thanks for the responses!
The yeast I used is Brew Cellars Premium Ale Yeast. I think I remember reading somewhere that it's a close approximation to S-04.
The temperature I've listed is the range. The shed is actually a brick cellar type thing which is not prone to big temperature fluctuations.
The only bottle I opened wasn't dead flat. It made a small "sssst" sound on opening. But there were no bubbles when I poured it out.
There is definitely some trub on the bottom of the bottles, but it is very easily stirred up. With all my other batches, the stuff on the bottom is a lot more compact and solid.
I'll try giving the bottles a bit of a shake.
Any thoughts would be great.
Cheers

Warm it up, give it more time, that's cold for an ale yeast it will carb up but it will take ages.

What luggy said :)

There appears to be signs of carbonation so that's good.

Two weeks in the bottle at those temps is too soon for decent carbonation, so as stated warm them up a bit or be patient and wait for 6 weeks or so, this will also help the settling and firming of sediment. Did it taste ok?
Cheers

Right now I'm enjoying a Californian Common that was done with a Blue Mountian lager and Caramalt can, yeast was S-04, I cracked one after two weeks, there was a small sound of gas and a couple of smal bubbles but basically flat, 3 weeks on they have carbed well with a good, lasting head, give it a few more weeks and it should be fine.

Thanks heaps for the tips and info, guys.
I've moved the crates to a place inside that I hope will be a bit warmer and will bide my time. I'll just have to enjoy the porters and Irish reds that I bottled months ago while I'm waiting.
Grott, the beer tasted great, but wasn't nice to drink due to being flat.
Cheers

Not sure where you live but the recent cold weather in Perth has seen my last brew only partly carbed after four weeks. Don't stress, give it more time.

Back