No bubbles yet from brew....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have crash chilled for a week and still have unclear beer come into keg. Gelatin just seems to get all the shit to drop better. Carnie yeah all at CC temps

latest brew i put gelatin straight into keg, beer in at 18 deg and into keg fridge at 5 deg for 4 days. carbed for 48hours, first few glasses were like mud, now its looking pretty good, no doubt will clear up over next few days. Had never done it this way before seems like i got similar results to previous way

i cc at -1 for up to a week at a time and by the time i rack to the keg most of the shit has dropped out without gelatine. takes about a week in the keg to really settle out after transfering though.

I never use gelatine and always have clear beer.
Ferment usually for about 2 weeks, cc for a week, store for a month or two before drinking. Works for me.

i am way too impatient to be waiting that long! As soon as my beer is in keg i want to drink the barstad. I only have room for 3 kegs in keg fridge so usually fermenting the next as i am finishing the last

yep. i really need a bigger keg fridge. But my wife lets me keep it in the lounge next to the couch so not complaining at the moment

So another few days in the primary till the readings settle, then what do you think, another week in a secondary and then bottle / keg it?
Dunno, this wont be my last brew of this beer, so Im willing to try both methods I spose.

If your bottling why bother with secondary? If you are bottling wait for it to finish, leave it a couple more days then drop the temp to 0-1 deg for a few days then bottle. If your kegging wait for it to finish, leave it a couple more days then drop the temp to 0-1 deg for a few days then keg. Whilst you are filling the keg dissovle a good teaspoon of gelatine in a small glass of boiled water and tip it in the keg. You should get a pretty clear beer after a week. This method is good but the yeast will get stirred if you move the keg around in the fridge.

Cheers

yeah just get the secondary thing out of your head its not needed. Increases risk of infections etc

cant you rack to a keg, purge it and let it sit at room temps?? surely you would need to let your beer age???? i tend to try a bottle after a week and the beer is terrible, give it 3 more weeks its drinkable another week and its snappy as........

i cant see how force carbing can age beer faster?????

and obviously your first few pours would contain all the yeast trub that drops too the bottom??

i know bottling is a pain but its got to make better beer??

am sure there are certain beers that should age a bit, they do tend to get better towards end of keg but meh who cares still tastes pretty damn good fresh

doon said:
yeah just get the secondary thing out of your head its not needed. Increases risk of infections etc
Seen this debated 1000's of times however it shouldnt pose any risk at all if Cleaning & saintization is thorough, and the correct method of racking into the secondary with a hose into the bottom of the vessel to not cause any airation, I open the tap partially until the line is full and then covered with wort then open it up flat out..... usually i try to rack to sec at around 1015ish so that it can produce a little co2 to purge off.... then it will be safe, after about 5 days i then throw the cube in the fridge at 1c'ish for a week, pull it out the night before i bottle to let it get back upto room temp...... bottle and then age 35+ days

Edit,

This is after drinking my first two shithouse brews....... im now part way through my 3rd which was a Extract that is around 40 days old now, iv got 2 more brews in the cupboard ar 28 days and 5 days old today......tasted both last night 5 day was pretty rough 28 day old one was still too green i reckon.....

Black Devil Dog said:
Ferment usually for about 2 weeks, cc for a week, store for a month or two before drinking. Works for me.
Store in what BDD, bottles?

yeah i just cant see the point. Means i remove one step from the process, less cleaning etc if i have two brews in fridge at same time easy as just leave in primary, set tempmate and crash chill no stuffing around moving to two other vessels

doon said:
yeah i just cant see the point. Means i remove one step from the process, less cleaning etc if i have two brews in fridge at same time easy as just leave in primary, set tempmate and crash chill no stuffing around moving to two other vessels
Yep, What works for fred may not work for paul, and bob does it differnly to Paul, Peter, Fabio, Fred, Jane and Joe.........

Thats what makes brewing so Unique and such a good hobby :)

Black Devil Dog said:
Were on the same page here mate, I dont see the point in adding another "Adjunct" if thats what you would call gelatine when time can do the same :) Cold Crashed a Grain brew that had hop matter into the fermenter and it bottled up near clear and after 1 week is seethrough

m3taL said:
..."Adjunct" if thats what you would call gelatine when time can do the same :) Cold Crashed a Grain brew that had hop matter into the fermenter and it bottled up near clear and after 1 week is seethrough
"Finings"

And if one doesn't have "Time"?

Fining's, crash chilling and filtering are all methods used to reduce the time it takes for a beer to condition...

NewtownClown said:
"Finings"

And if one doesn't have "Time"?

Fining's, crash chilling and filtering are all methods used to reduce the time it takes for a beer to condition...
Cant rush perfection :)

Nah i understand that for sure

like i said with the peter, paul, jane and joe.... n a few others..... everyone has the methods that suits their needs thats what makes it unique

:drinks: as long as you love your own beer, and the fruits of your labour who gives a **** what others think :)

Latest posts

Back