No bubbles yet from brew....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you've got even a thin layer of krausen on top I wouldn't bother taking a reading just yet, sounds like it fermenting just fine. Give it a week then take a reading.

Get yourself a tube, every time you stick the hydrometer into the beer you risk an infection. A low risk if you sanitise, but a risk nonetheless.

Just relax, I'm sure it'll be fine. :)

It's also possible to waste a lot of beer if you're taking grav readings all the time :)

Agree with other sentiments. Stop mucking about with your beer - it's probably fine. Stop trusting the airlock. It's not a good indication of fermentation and it's an even worse indication of lack of fermentation.

Come back around day 7 and take your first grav reading. Come back again at day 9. If they match, you're good to go. This gives you a few days to go buy something to take your samples with.

Just took a reading...

First reading before pitching - 1036
Reading just now - 1040

Does that make sense? There seems to be more of a crust/foam on the top too now.

Thanks for the help guys!

If you've got krausen, it's fermenting. You may wan't to think about calibrating your hydrometer. Is it glass or Coopers plastic?

Glass. To be honest I don't know if I'm reading it right, but that's whats its telling me. I'll try another one later.

Take another sample. You may have unmixed fermentables in the tap. Temperature will also affect the reading (higher temp = lower reading).

You need to fill the tube, place the hydrometer bulb side down in the liquid, give it a spin and allow it t settle a touch. Should read 1.000 in 15-20 deg C tap water unless you live on a really high mountain or somewhere under the ocean.

Took another reading with a different hydro still shows 1.040.

w00t!
Its gone from 1040 to 1024 in a week.
Time to secondary? Or wait a while?

Help please!

If you're going to transfer to a secondary, now would be the time. But do you need to? Many don't bother, particularly with kit brews such as an Amber Ale with S-04 yeast....you're not exactly gunning for a see through lager style of brew....and you don't have a ton of hop matter from a boil kettle....and you haven't mentioned any use of finings.

Personally I'd leave it in the primary until it reaches FG and stays there for a few days....16 gravity points in a week is actually pretty slow, but I understand S-04 can be like that (I haven't used it myself yet, but have a pack in the fridge ready go on an Irish Red Ale at some stage).

Sounds like you've made alcohol! Congrats! :kooi:

I would leave it be, no rush, spur of the moment decision making is the number one killer of beer!

Still have krausen? If you do, I'd leave it for another week before taking more readings.

Yeah, I'll leave her then for a few days and continue to take readings.

I was going to secondary to get rid of some yeasty taste and cloudyness Ive had in the past.
I have a filter setup ready to try out so that should do it all for me before I bottle / keg.
Its currently going to filter at a 5 micro level so I don't remove any taste.

Cheers guys!

Racking will reduce sediment etc. I tend to do it for bulk priming now though. Used to do it earlier (around 1020) but find current process works just as well.

Multiple reasons to rack and multiple not to. Best to know what to expect before doing it.

i never rack anymore. Extra time on yeast seems to do the beer good, have a filter and never use it just gelatin into fermenter.

doon said:
i never rack anymore. Extra time on yeast seems to do the beer good, have a filter and never use it just gelatin into fermenter.
Doon, where do you get your gelatin, how much do you use and how?

from supermarket Wards edible gelatin, in a little purple container. Usually crash chill wort for a day or two, then boil kettle let it sit for a bit to cool some, stick one teaspoon (sometimes two, which may be two much) into a glass jug pour on water and stir till dissolved. i then put this into fermenter and back in fridge for 3 days or so then keg.

I find the beer gets progressively clearer once in the keg, but it starts off pretty clear. Just how i do it may or may not be right but works for me

here is what i use

Wards_Gelatine_main_1.jpeg

Oh ok thanks, I thought I recall reading that "Gelatine" from the supermarket was different to the "gelatin" brewers use in their fermenters. I guess not....

The 3 days you let your FV sit with the gelatine in it...is that at crash chill temps?

But if you're ccing for 3 days, would you really need the gelatine?
I've never used gelatine so I'm interested in knowing if anyone has noticed a lot of difference between plain cc to 1-2C and gelatine + cc.

Latest posts

Back