No Boil Hopping // Use Of A "cube" For Cooling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can sew one up myself. I'm not a tailor, but we have a nice sewing machine and I've done a little sewing myself. If I mess it up I can use a seam ripper and have my wife do it for me. She learned from her mom who was a seamstress who learned from a master tailor. I just need to find the appropriate material that will hold up to boiling wort.

Remember for the first stage you are not boiling, it is simply a full volume mash, so you really need to make sure that your seams can hold 5kg of wet grain.

The Swiss-Voile that most people here use is sensitive to heat (I've managed to melt my hop-sock during a boil). Some people put cake stands or the racks that come with Asian woks in the bottom of their pots to keep the bag a little away from direct heat.

Personally I use muslin for my mash bag and use the Swiss-Voile for my hop sock.

Remember for the first stage you are not boiling, it is simply a full volume mash, so you really need to make sure that your seams can hold 5kg of wet grain.

The Swiss-Voile that most people here use is sensitive to heat (I've managed to melt my hop-sock during a boil). Some people put cake stands or the racks that come with Asian woks in the bottom of their pots to keep the bag a little away from direct heat.

Personally I use muslin for my mash bag and use the Swiss-Voile for my hop sock.

Yes - but you are one of the very few who has had a problem with the voile as a BIAB bag - its possible to melt one, but to be honest, I can only see it happening if you either screw up or ignor the advice that most people hand out to prospective BIAB brewers.

Having said that - muslin will of course work - its just the opinion of most BIAB brewers that it isn't as good an option as the Swiss voile. Use the muslin if it makes you happy - but I suggest that the voile is more likely to give you the result you are looking for.

I was just about to ask if I could use muslin, a natural fabric that would not melt easily, instead of a synthetic fabric. Now I know I can.

Don...I just had a thought....
One of the things with No Chill is the possibility of increased DMS levels. There was a post a while back from an American brewer that had tried no chill with really bad results, it was full of DMS. I can't remember the specifics of it, but opinion was given that it might have something to do with the differences between US malt and australian/european malts....so this might be something to look at. (as I presume you're a seppo.)....

Can anyone remember who the OP on that was? Katzke,maybe??

This was the first thing that came to my mind as well. Here is a link to the thread.

He ended up with little or no DMS in the final product.

Latest posts

Back