Nightmare on Brew Street

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you successfully banished a brewery infection?

• No - I went thermonuclear and to no avail, ended up replacing plastics etc.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - Went to town with bleach/vinegar, starsan, fire and brimstone and beat it and it never returne

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
recon you got something in the air. might be love

maybe see what happens if you make a few little starters from ldme and leave them out? see off they kick off from shit in the air?

dont be scared of bleach. it rinses well and kills wild yeast, somthing starsan does not do that well. starsan has been developed with bacteria in mind.

you may need to switch to bleach every brew if you have a tree or plant that has wild yeast present on the property.

kymba said:
maybe see what happens if you make a few little starters from ldme and leave them out? see off they kick off from shit in the air?
Now that is an excellent idea! I'm filing that one away.

Having just read through this I must say the OP has had a rough road and kudos to him for his continued efforts. I am thinking as others above that this could be environmental.
If you have any sort of Air conditioning system in your house it could well be the cause. I remember reading a blog of a brew store and that was where it was eventually traced. What he did from that point was to fully enclose ALL wort transfers, any container that was to have wort transferred to it was first flooded with co2 then starsan type sanitizer. It apparently worked well. Obviously you would still need to oxygenate your wort for fermentation, but a fully enclosed process is possible. I read this some time ago so unfortunately I can't remember where as I think a link to his method may be of help

Latest posts

Back