Newcastle Beer Scene

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm booked in at the Oriental Hotel / gentlemens' flop house, on Bull Street, only 2 blocks from Darby Street, for Tues and Wed nights, but may be doing something sober on Wed.

I note that the Oriental is on the opposite corner to the Cricketers Arms, who have Stone and Wood so hopefully a couple more as well.
Yay pub crawl. :chug:

Also the Blind Monk is pretty good if you find yourself on Beaumont st Hamilton.

If you go to the Hop Factory, try the Rocket Science Mad Hatter. What do you think is in it?
Regards,
Brad.

Bit of a Hike from the Newcastle town centre, is a little pub in wallsend called the Fire Station Hotel ironically across the road from the firestation. It's my local and has atleast 10 taps of craft to offer. This place has gone from a dive to a A grade hotel with dining to boot.

Great thread! Try out the happy wombat on Hunter street, top notch feed. The Edwards is a little out of the way but they have about 8 taps, Nothing too crazy but good variety.

The Albion dropped 4 or so taps back to mega swill, guess it was hard going with all the competition.

If you are in merewether the Mary Ellen is still good, the burwood and the Prince rotate taps regularly too.

Fire station is great, its my closest craft venue Too. Cheapish decent feed and around 8 taps with great variety.

I'm pretty happy with how things are going in newy, we are getting spoilt for choice now.

Check out www.hunteronhunter.com.au for a list of places to go. There are heaps more!!

Bribie G said:
I note that the Oriental is on the opposite corner to the Cricketers Arms,
I used to live around the corner from the cricketers and the oriental. Spent many an afternoon at those fine establishments back in my newcastle days. Sounds like they've changed a bit from the early 2000's.

Will be back there later this year, so will definitely drop into some of the old haunts.

BottloBill said:
Bit of a Hike from the Newcastle town centre, is a little pub in wallsend called the Fire Station Hotel ironically across the road from the firestation. It's my local and has atleast 10 taps of craft to offer. This place has gone from a dive to a A grade hotel with dining to boot.
I used to ride my treadly from maryland to the Albion a few years back every Sunday to sample some beers. Now i can hit the firey and walk home. And the feeds are cheap and great to.
On another note. The blind monk is my fav for beers/vibe over the grain store and the hop factory. But there all still the best places ever lol.

Kingy said:
I used to ride my treadly from maryland to the Albion a few years back every Sunday to sample some beers. Now i can hit the firey and walk home. And the feeds are cheap and great to.
On another note. The blind monk is my fav for beers/vibe over the grain store and the hop factory. But there all still the best places ever lol.
pretty much been in the area my whole life and watch the firey change and transform over the last 20 years into a great little place to get craft on tap. I probably won't to school with you Kingy lol

Ori and cricketers have good range including Murrays and 4 Pines so if Hop factory too wanky then no Probs.
Fought traffic to get to Rajs at Hamilton for a curry.
Then walking along Darby St 2 blocks from hotel I see they have a branch here.
Waaaaah.

Roll on beer o'clock.

obligatory pic/s of beer sir or someone will say it didn't happen

One of the fonts

camera.jpg

I'm in Newcastle this evening, booked into the Cook's Hill pub and I'll take a stroll out to the Albion, and see what's on tap there.

Home now with a slight hangover. It was a delight to find that every single pub in the near-CBD: Cooks Hill, Wickham etc had a choice on tap of craft or non megaswill beers from Murrays, Lord Nelson, Stone and Wood, Four Pines and a good range of JS including Hop Thief 6... even the pub I was staying in, the Cooks Hill Hotel had not only Murrays and Minimum Chips and of course Coopers, but they had a couple of retro beers on tap: Kent Old Brown and Reschs Original Draught.
I'd never had the old brown before, it was a very refreshing and quite subtle drop.

Thanks, Bribie. Have been hoping to find a pub with the Kent old brown on tap. Next time I'm in the city, I'll drop by the Cooks Hill Hotel.

Did you make it to the Hairy Melon (Mary Ellen)?

Are you guys talking about the commonwealth? Can't think of anything else it could be...if so, when did that change?

So the Ori is now the Cooks Hill hotel? I need to get out more

Nope, staggering along Bull Street from West to East you get:

The Cooks Hill Hotel on the corner of Bull and Union Streets
The Oriental
The Cricketers Arms

Then you are in Darby Street

edit: yes after doing a search I see that the Commonwealth has been renamed the Cook's Hill Hotel.

Latest posts

Back