Newcastle Beer Scene

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After some extensive Google searching, the Commonwealth Hotel appears to be closed and the Cooks Hill Hotel now appears at the same address. Simples!

Crazy out-of-towners. Hope Bribie didn't walk all the way to the Albion (Although G-Maps says it's only 18 minutes walk)

Necro time
I'm heading to Newcastle tonight for a gig at The Cambridge, which I'm told has Six String in cans
Staying at The Albion, which looks to have some Modus Operandi and Yulli's beers on tap right now
I should be getting to Newy around 630ish, book in, get changed out of my work gear and hopefully out the door by 7, should I just stay at The Albion (which is apparently a 10 minute walk to The Cambridge) or head somewhere else before the gig starts at 830?
Also I'm going to guess with 2 support bands before the actual band comes on, I won't get out until at least 12-1, is anywhere else good open that late?

Most of the good spots, The Grainstore, hop factory, the happy wombat shut at 12 maybe the honeysuckle hotel on the water might be open later though and is not far from the Cambo.

Who is playing tonight?

For the eye candy if not the beer so much, try the Delaney in Cooks Hill.
Unfortunately Newcastle is where they tested the lockout laws that are affecting Kings Cross, with pretty much the same outcomes.

If you get the chance Foghorn where Shawn Sherlock is now brewing and the Grain Store are both worth a visit.
On Saturday there is a beer festival at the Bottle-o Lambton, worth calling in, doesn't start until you have had plenty of time to get over tonight!
I'll be working at the Bottle-o do tomorrow so call in and say hi at the All Grain Brewing stand, be the best looking bar with the ugliest staff...

Mark

MHB said:
On Saturday there is a beer festival at the Bottle-o Lambton, worth calling in, doesn't start until you have had plenty of time to get over tonight!
I'll be working at the Bottle-o do tomorrow so call in and say hi at the All Grain Brewing stand, be the best looking bar with the ugliest staff...

Mark
I tried to convince the Mrs to let me buy a ticket to that, but she was not polite or approving in her reply...

Brownsworthy said:
Most of the good spots, The Grainstore, hop factory, the happy wombat shut at 12 maybe the honeysuckle hotel on the water might be open later though and is not far from the Cambo.

Who is playing tonight?
Twelve Foot Ninja

Yeah forgot about the foghorn and another good bottlo is the prince of wales one of my favourites they are doing 4pks of MO the former tennant for $23.95 and 6pks of six strings for $16.95 a dead set bargain

I would have to say it is fortunate that we have the lockout laws from speaking to several of my mates whom either manage or own pubs/bars in the area they say there has been a decreased amount of violence since.

Oh shit!

I love a bit of twelve foot ninja I don't think I'll be able to go though as we've got a 3 week old and I didn't just wet the baby's head last week I completely drenched it!

I work next door to the cambo, got beer taps in the warehouse if you want a decent beer ;)

Albion is about as close as it gets to cambo. There's the Edwards nearby or the family hotel (non craft but shameless plug for a mate). Foghorn, parry St garage, happy wombat. If you go the other way there's blind monk or Marysville tavern nearby that have 4 pines etc

can also give a thumbs up for the happy wombat on hunter street. got a few modus's on, and 4 akasha's and a new englander.

love that place.

Thanks lads, will wander up to Happy Wombat if it's not too late by the time the gig ends

sp0rk said:
Necro time
I'm heading to Newcastle tonight for a gig at The Cambridge, which I'm told has Six String in cans
I would suggest you also stop in at Newcastle Burger Co which is in the Cambridge.. pretty tasty burgers for only $11 (or more if you add extra patties etc), and their bar chips are tasty also

Also if you havent got it. Download nowtapped app, gives tap lists of the bars that get updated frequently, and you see where they are on a map, top app.

A big day but a good day!
Our last keg blew about 5 minutes before closing time.
I think what I like about the craft beer scene is that we had well over 500 people and a hell of a lot of alcohol, not one raised voice, certainly no raised fists.
Just lots of people relaxing, having a really great time tasting lots of really good beer.

Mark

It was a good day I really enjoyed the pale ale you had on Mark it was lovely no wonder it blew first.

Just the one raised voice from Tim telling an older fellow to go get f@rked because he said most Aussies hate Americans...I had a good chuckle at their exchange.

Cheers, thought the Raspberry Stout took the pot myself... personal taste.
Didn't hear Tim let loose but then he is American a bit loud after a couple of IPA's, not a bad bloke for a yank brewery salesman - too easy, fish in a barrel, maybe a lot of Aussies do love/hate Americans...
Mark

Bah hahaha! Too right!

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to try the raspberry stout the oatmeal stout wasn't bad though.

I drove past JUST before the gates opened, but I knew if I went in I wouldn't be driving back out to Muswellbrook that afternoon
Plus the Mrs would have neutered me...

Up in Newy for a couple of night for work.

Got to the Hop Factory last night. The Akasha IPA was fantastic.

Going to hit up Foghorn tonight for beers & Philly Cheesesteak :beerbang:

Tomorrow night is the "long" walk up to the Grain Store.

You Novocastrians have no idea just how good you guys have got it. This place rocks!

Oh we know, now shut up, we don't want an invasion.....

Seriously hope you have a great time, Newcastle is full of surprises. The beer isn't to great but try spending a lazy weekend afternoon sitting on the veranda at The Brewery watching the apparently chaotic mix of pleasure craft and some of the biggest freighters on the planet mixing it up on the harbour, with the odd tug boat doing ballet, well its relaxing.
Mark

Latest posts

Back