Newcastle Beer Scene

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakester

Reaction score
Just spent the weekend in Newcastle for my end of season footy trip and was amazed at the quality of beers that just about every pub has.
I thought i would have had to drink New or VB all weekend but happily not the case. The first pub i went to was the Clarendon and had a 28 pale ale on tap, one of my favourite beers that ive never had on tap.
Sadly though on our last night there with already more than a skinfull, i had a schooner of Hangman pale ale from the Rocks Brewery. I wish i started on this beer on the friday! Very nice drop but will have to head up to the Rocks to get some more.
So overall, for a place that can resemble a ghost town in places, they are taking there beer pretty seriously, just wish my hometown will follow suit one day soon :(

Just spent the weekend in Newcastle for my end of season footy trip and was amazed at the quality of beers that just about every pub has.
I thought i would have had to drink New or VB all weekend but happily not the case. The first pub i went to was the Clarendon and had a 28 pale ale on tap, one of my favourite beers that ive never had on tap.
Sadly though on our last night there with already more than a skinfull, i had a schooner of Hangman pale ale from the Rocks Brewery. I wish i started on this beer on the friday! Very nice drop but will have to head up to the Rocks to get some more.
So overall, for a place that can resemble a ghost town in places, they are taking there beer pretty seriously, just wish my hometown will follow suit one day soon :(
Good to hear Ivesy! :)
There are certainly a number of pubs around the city centre that are pro-craft beer. Seems like you can walk into any bar in the area and they'll have at least a couple of decent beers on tap. On top of that, it's hard to find a pub without Coopers on tap - they've made it hard to not drink good beer really.
On top of that, the promotion of all of it has been going from strength to strength, particularly in the last year.
Will be great to see where things are in a few years time, not just with the Newcastle beer scene, but across the country!

Cheers for that, really happy where the Hangman is at the moment. Also on at the Junction, Delaney, soon to be the Albion and the growlers are going great at Warners on the Bay.

Scotty

(Rocks Brewing Head Brewer)

From what I remember, I was in Newcastle at the beginning of August :blink: and I didn't lack for drinkies - I stayed in a fairly downmarket hotel on Hunter street and even they had JS and Coopers taps - no shortage of Murrays around the place, drank quite few Whale Ales and the Mary Ellen (Hairy Melon) even had a happy hour with bottles 500mls of Budweiser Czech Dark for $4 which I drank with gusto. ( I think that was his name)
Definitely more happening there than in Brisbane.

edit: also popped into the /// pub at the Rocks when down there for a refreshment stop or three.

Scotty, if i had of got to Warners as planned i would have got a growler of Hangman for sure, but due to a few sore heads we just jumped back on the freeway. As i said above, i will get into the Rocks one weekend to check it out, maybe take the missus to the markets then just disappear for a few!

Scotty, if i had of got to Warners as planned i would have got a growler of Hangman for sure, but due to a few sore heads we just jumped back on the freeway. As i said above, i will get into the Rocks one weekend to check it out, maybe take the missus to the markets then just disappear for a few!

Hubby.jpg

Hi Ivesy,
Next time you are in town be sure to call by www.thealbion.com.au Albion Hotel in Wickham opposite the marina, we have over 150 Aussie & Imported craft beers ranged plus 8 of our current 10 taps are dedicated to craft beer with 10 more taps & a hand pump on the way!
Also a plus for an event I am organising the last week of November this year across 11 Newie venues 'Newcastle Craft Beer Week' I have just posted some info under the 'Pub' forum or goto www.facebook.com/newcastlecraftbeerweek

Cheers
Corey

NCBW_Events.jpg

I wish I'd never visited Newcastle - it just used to be a name to me, but whenever I hear about it I get this stupid warm fuzzy shit.....

Probably because I was there in that glorious heatwave at the Beginning of August .. maybe? <_<

100_0087.jpg

And now I hear about this new beer heaven with handpumps... and I missed out ....oh the humanity :angry:

As I am a known and practiced thread resurrectionist, I had to provide an update here.

Newcastle - new pub called the Grain Store, also run by Corey from the Albion (IIRC).

Menu:
de1f4b92bf8011e299ae22000a1f9c95_7.jpg

For your personal information and drooling over

I may have been in once or twice! Missed the Feral evening on Weds but hear it was a great night from all accounts and fantastic Brendan Varis made the trip for it.

Les the Weizguy said:
As I am a known and practiced thread resurrectionist, I had to provide an update here.

Newcastle - new pub called the Grain Store, also run by Corey from the Albion (IIRC).
I'm heading to Newy for a few days next week. I have one free night and it looks like the Grain Store might be the go.
Walking distance from where I'm staying too.

To those in the know: any further updates on places that can't be missed, or should I just stick to the Grain Store?

I'm taking a friend down to Newkie for an appointment at the John Hunter and I'll be staying at Cooks hill Tuesday Night ... glad this thread has been revived, what's good around the Hunter Street / Cooks Hill area?
I know exactly where the Grain Store is (I've photographed every Terrace House in East Newcastle, beautiful collection of Victorians on those couple of blocks).

Bit of a hike from Cooks Hill but I'll check the buses.

Might run into you Ken?

Short walk, long stagger back :beerbang:
Also I've grown a neat beard so I'll fit in with any Hipsters there. :ph34r:

Bribie G said:
I'm taking a friend down to Newkie for an appointment at the John Hunter and I'll be staying at Cooks hill Tuesday Night ... glad this thread has been revived, what's good around the Hunter Street / Cooks Hill area?
I know exactly where the Grain Store is (I've photographed every Terrace House in East Newcastle, beautiful collection of Victorians on those couple of blocks).

Bit of a hike from Cooks Hill but I'll check the buses.

Might run into you Ken?
Did some googling (thanks moodgett) and The Hop Factory looks pretty good to me.

I have a function to attend Tuesday evening but it's meant to finish at 8pm. If they turn the free booze off then I'll be out the door quicker than you can say "Twelve minute walk to the Hop Factory".

Agree, The Hop factory is the go for craft beer in the cooks hill area.

If you feel like some MEAT or BBQ related deliciousness, you should check out the newly renovated Lucky hotel. Beer selection is ok (nothing on the hop factory or grain store), but the food is the drawing point for this place (my opinion).

Maybe you will be close to the Hop Factory in Darby street.

At Maitland, go to The Pourhouse, or a day trip to Potters at Nulkaba or Murrays at Bob's farm. Both within an hour of the city.

I hear that a new brew-pub will be opening in the city (in March) - owned by Shawn Sherlock, former Murrays Brewer. It will be awesome.
Look for details on these forums for the grand opening. I hope I haven't said too much...

Those are enough endorsements for me. The Hop Factory it is, Tuesday evening.

Back