Newbie - Sydney Inner Westie

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micky Sea

Reaction score
After years of drinking and talking about craft beer I figured I'd jump on the home brew wagon. I'm in Stanmore in inner Western Sydney which is the epicentre of the craft beer movement in NSW it seems (deference to the Australian Heritage Hotel in The Rocks)

My brother used to have one of those all-in-one kits some years back. I'm thinking extract brewing for me, at least for starters. I'm getting some home brew gear from Xmas, now I've just got to figure out what exactly it is I want!

No doubt I'll find some helpful hints in 'here' somewhere.

There's a few of us inner westies about the forum. Welcome aboard and enjoy!

There's heaps of reading to be done here too, don't be afraid to use the search function - lots of wisdom in the archives.

Welcome mate, fellow newbie myself.
All i can suggest is Read Read Read Read. And watch youtube lol.

Try to get a kit 2nd hand on fleabay that includes all the bits and pieces thats only been rarely used.

Youl be kegging your own all grain craft beer before you know it!

Welcome! No doubt you're probably a bit limited in space, as we all are in the inner west.. So you might want to read a bit about Brew in a bag (BIAB). In particular there's the Move to All Grain for thirty bucks thread. The next step up from there is moving to full volume biab either with a 40L urn or better yet if you can afford it a Braumeister.

it's probably a good idea to get a few extract brews under your belt beforehand to get your fermenting, cleaning, bottling etc processes down pat. howtobrew.com is your bible!

Good luck.

Thanks guys (I'm assuming we're mostly guys on here!). Yeah space is of a premium but I do have a tandem garage which should suffice. It's underground which will help with the temp control too I imagine. I have certainly looked into BIAB (in no small part thanks to Nick R's blog) and look forward to trying it out before too long.

No doubt home brewing will effect my Untappd beer app check-ins but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make!

Back