Inner Sydney Brewers – Summer Lovin’ Homebrew Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kaiserben said:
For a kolsch I entered the comments mentioned brown floaties (ie yeast) detracting from the beer.

That beer was naturally carbed in the bottle (and drinking at home it was clear as a bell as long as you didn't swirl up the yeast on the bottom).

So what I'm keen to know is:

Is it fair to say that certain styles, when bottle conditioned, just aren't going to go as well as they would if they were kegged, carbed with CO2 and then bottled off from the keg?

Is it worth entering bottle carbed kolschs and lagers into comps?
Pretty much.

kaiserben said:
For a kolsch I entered the comments mentioned brown floaties (ie yeast) detracting from the beer.

That beer was naturally carbed in the bottle (and drinking at home it was clear as a bell as long as you didn't swirl up the yeast on the bottom).

So what I'm keen to know is:

Is it fair to say that certain styles, when bottle conditioned, just aren't going to go as well as they would if they were kegged, carbed with CO2 and then bottled off from the keg?

Is it worth entering bottle carbed kolschs and lagers into comps?
My bottle carbed/conditioned kolsch rated reasonably well and had no similar comments. Cold crash for 3 days in fermenter and largered for 6 weeks in bottle was very clear with a minimum of bottle yeast.

Back