Thank you so much...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Professional beer tester

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new to this whole thing and from Sydney. In January this year I knew nothing about home brew except it seemed like a lot of work, as everyone I knew who were into it were constantly brewing / bottling / cleaning.

Then a mate took me to brew a few beers at one of those 'brew on premise' places and I realised it wasn't as hard as everyone had made it out to be.

This site has given me so much information and encouragement that after doing 5 or 6 batches at the brew on premise place, I jumped straight into all-grain BIAB – and am completely hooked. I think I actually enjoy brewing more than drinking the stuff.

And thanks to the information on here, it was pretty easy. Really easy in fact.

Thanks to everyone who contributes here, you've helped change me from a bloke who was constantly in trouble with the missus for spending too much money on craft beer to a bloke who's constantly in trouble with the missus for spending too much money on brewing equipment.

Rock on.

:beerbang:

You do realise that beer is a 'sometimes drink'

Its an expensive habit. The stainless ' fix ' can never be met. Your are doomed.

Professional beer tester said:

Thanks to everyone who contributes here, you've helped change me from a bloke who was constantly in trouble with the missus for spending too much money on craft beer to a bloke who's constantly in trouble with the missus for spending too much money on brewing equipment.

Rock on.

:beerbang:
Love it :)

I agree. It's kind of funny, you look so closely at your wallet walking out of Dan's with a carton each week - but $100 bucks at the local home brew store doesn't seem to set off the alarm bells. For me anyway.

I've brewed so many batches this autumn/winter... Way more than i can drink!
I really should stop, i've had a constand fermenter since April.

As a beer lover, there's just something so very satisfying about making my own - and it turning out good!
Cleaning bottles/equipment started out as a drag, but it's kind of become part of the "ritual" for me now too, which is cool!

Doesn't matter how much or often you drink it. Best part, if you only have a few a week by the time you get through them all they'll be aged nicely.

Welcome aboard!

aah Stu.. but see the equipment outlay does have an end point (or close enough to) but handing wads over the counter to Uncle Dan is a never ending drain.. feckin vampires they are :lol:

Congrats on getting the best bug ever :beer:

Where I'm at – and it's probably not the cheapest part of Sydney – $30 for a 15L fermenter and $20 on grains and hops is still cheaper than a case of Little Creatures or S&W.

DU99 – I'm lucky my girl loves beer, unfortunately too cold to do ales at the moment so she'll have to wait a fair while for the lagers to ready up!

Awesome stu, thanks heaps!

Now to find a LHBS that stocks it... Any other ales that go that low? Fermenter normally bottoms at 14º, tops at 18º so it's steamlager for now...

Nottingham does 14' degrees and I've had 1272 at 14 degrees, too. Now there's no excuses, get your ales going!

awesome to hear PBT, pretty sure most of us here have had a similar path. lean towards ghetto fixes rather than bling if you want to save some $$... otherwise, there is a very fuzzy, grainy area where 'must have' and 'do I really need this?' suddenly blur together.

And SWMBO, M always BO. I'm very lucky to have one that recognises the passion I put into my wort and the love and care I give my beer yeasties, and is over hte moon at the end product. So while she can be placated with delicious beer, there are still fundamentals about clutter, tidiness, prioritisation of brewing vs house/garden projects, etc. So I have had my share of talking-to's like a lot on AHB.

May have been triggered by having ~50L of bottles sitting on the dining room table...

(it's warmer upstairs)

At least I have made the gesture of carbonating a cider with lager yeast so that it can stay downstairs...

Back