Newbie Questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn I was hoping that it was common place.....

Any idea what the reading should be after 4 days as I never take readings using it I have to admit.

Drew,

what's your hydrometer reading? - is it steady over a few days? - Why on earth are you opening up your fermenter & allowing exposure to air? - Leave the lid well alone until the brew is finished... :)

cheers Ross

Thats my point Rosso, being a kit only brewer I have brillant sanatation, temp control and good technique so normally after primary for 7 days and racking for 7-10 I've never seen a reason to use 1....

And opening it? Cause I am an idiot :) - I might add there was no foam of any sort. - Smelt very gingery though.

I will get a reading tonight.

Sounds like it may well have brewed out. I wouldn't be too worried about the bits round the edge, I'm guessing just the usual debris that collects as the krausen dies back (never brewed a ginger beer mind, can't stand the stuff).
I'd be sticking to your usual regime & not panicing - but time you got used to taking hydrometer readings; just as important in kits as any other brew :)

cheers Ross

Last GB went for 10 days in QLD temps 26 - 34. Never bother using ferm fridge for GB or yeast nutrient. Black stuff is puzzling.

Just wish I new what this fricken black stuff was, I mean I dont want to bottle then have it come out shithouse.

I actually boiled some ginger root and threw in the liquid from that after straining, could this have reacted with something and caused the black cest?

DrewCarey82 said:
Just wish I new what this fricken black stuff was, I mean I dont want to bottle then have it come out shithouse.

I actually boiled some ginger root and threw in the liquid from that after straining, could this have reacted with something and caused the black cest?
[post="101635"][/post]​

That would be my guess. Take a sample from the tap is the best way to see if it is palatable.
cheers
Darren

I wonder if finings would sink this stuff to the bottom?

DrewCarey82 said:
I wonder if finings would sink this stuff to the bottom?
[post="101647"][/post]​

Drew,

Any bits will cling to the sides when you transfer from the fermenter - don't worry about them... :)

That black stuff is probably Knob-rot.

Hopefully not Galloping Knob-rot or you are in all sorts of trouble!

Or it could be lumps of ginger which have oxidised.

dreamboat

I would try not to bottle it, but you should be okay. Always worth a try to (when priming or transferring to secondary) to get a piece for a sniff and a taste to see what you might be in for.

dreamboat

Hey all.

being a newb both to the board and HB in general, thought I'd post my little prob/question here.

I'm currently brewing up a ginger beer but the SG seems a bit low.

My initial reading had it at 1.019 and a few days later at 1.006.
what does this mean, if anything?

Details wise, It was straight from the can, except I boiled it up and used dextrose instead of sugar.

cool thanks.

I was actually wondering though if this was a bit lowish?
1.7% doesn't seem like much compared to the amount of dextrose in there (which sposedly ferments out well).
could the yeast be a bit timid?

And how much water did you use? Some cans are designed to be made up to 23 litres, some a lot less (e.g. only 15 litres). Check the instructions on the can to see if you diluted it too much.

When priming ginger beer do I need to prime it any differently to normal beer or just do it the same way?

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back