Newbie Questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spicks

Reaction score
Thanks to anybody who replies to my questions - I'm guessing most have been asked many times before.

I was given a Tooheys Homebrewing Kit for christmas and the hydrometer in it was broken. Because the instructions given with the kit stated you didn't need a hydrometer for another couple of days, I began to brew my first batch (the supplied 'Tooheys Special Draught' tin). Since then, two friends told me that they never use the hydrometer, and its only use is to check the alcohol content of the beer. So I simply waited till the airlock had stopped bubbling for a few days, and proceeded to bottle my beer.

Q1) Is the hydrometer necessary in brewing good beer?

I was seriously low on non twist top bottles - I had two. The capping tool supplied with the kit requires them (it's the type of capper that has two levers). But what I did have was four old 500ml Grolsch bottles which you probably know have that cap with the rubber stop which I'm assuming compeletely reseal the beer. And I had a 1.5l Grolsch bottle with the same cap but bigger. So I drank six non twist top commercial beers and saved the bottles, then got some 1.25l soft drink bottles, and sealed those with Coopers plastic PET bottle caps after I filled them with my brew.

Q2) Will Grolsch bottles seal correctly for secondary fermentation? And will plastic work? I've never seen a commecial beer sold in plastic bottles in my life. I always thought there was a reason for that.

In the end I still had way too much beer left in the carboy which I just tipped out into the sink. I felt it was a great waste but I really had nothing left to store the stuff in. In my mind, this first batch is just a test to make sure that I can make something that closely resembles beer. My final question is:

Q3) Are these store bought kits, where you brew 23 or so litres of liquid then perform secondary fermentation in the bottle, capable of brewing good beer? I think (although I find the posts hard to read due to not knowing the lingo) most posters brew in a different manner.

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Spicks

Spicks

The web site below is a great place to start. Has a good chapter discussing kit beers.

www.howtobrew.com

And it's free!!!

You can buy the book at most good home brew shops as well if you think you need a hard copy.

Good luck!!

Yep, How to Brew is an excellent book and has been extremely helpful to a fellow noob like myself. You just know it's gonna be a literary masterpiece as soon as you read the opening line "Welcome to How to Brew!" (It was the exclamation mark that got me.)

I just lent it to a friend the other day and am already missing it. I haven't really looked at the online edition, but check it out and if you still feel seriously about brewing after reading a bit then I definitely reccomend picking up a hard copy.

Hey Spicks, if you poke around here I am sure you will start making good beer. But my answers to your questions:

Q1 - Well I like to use the hydrometer, taking a starting gravity measure (OG) before you chuck in the yeast lets you know where you are starting from and then before you bottle you can take a final gravity(FG) measure to see where your at. From this you can work out the alcohol content if you like. What I think it provides is some experience in what the yeast is capable of and wether you have any problems with the yeast not fermenting out the beer as it should. Not essential but a good practice to get into.

Q2 - Grilsh bottles are fine and are sought out by many homebrewers :)

Q3 - Down to taste, if you like em as they are then they are as cheap as you will get. If you are after something a bit more then you can add to them with hops, more malt extract & liquid yeasts. If you read to much of this site you may decide to start mashing ... the howtobrew link above is an excellent read.

I hope the kit gets you statred on making some excellent beers :p

But what I did have was four old 500ml Grolsch bottles which you probably know have that cap with the rubber stop which I'm assuming compeletely reseal the beer. And I had a 1.5l Grolsch bottle with the same cap but bigger

jeez, Spicks, if you have that much Grolsch lying arounD WHY HOMEBREW? :D

Hydrometers are great, get another one soon.

* Hydrometers are good mmmm'kay.
* Grolsch bottles are sacred. Amen. ...and handy, both empty or full.
*If you're into this to save money, listen here. If you're into this for flavourful beer, you can save money by brewing with hops and malt extract. In the long run though, you will be obsessed with hops and specific malts and yeasts, and will spend all your spare cash trying to perfect the ultimate beer. We will be your support group.
Welcome aboard!
Uncle Sethule

Get another hydrometer.

Some people drive a car with no fuel gauge. Some people cook in an oven with no temperature gauge. Some people brew beer without a hydrometer.

The hydrometer is a brewing tool. Treat it gently, it is fragile. Do not pour boiling water on it.

To judge whether a beer is ready to bottle or not, take two readings, about a day apart. If the readings are the same, your beer is ready to bottle, but will improve if you leave it sitting quietly somewhere cool for another few days before bottling.

The John Palmer site is excellent. This AHB site is also excellent, use the search feature, you will be amazed at the information out there. The brewiki site expands daily, and is very worthwhile reading.

Thanks heaps for all of the replies - How To Brew is great, I've just started to read it.

One thing which may be important. He says:

"The fermentation will proceed like this for two to four days, depending on the conditions of your fermentation. The activity will decrease as most of the malt sugars are consumed by the yeast, though the yeast will continue to ferment the beer long after the bubbling diminishes. Leave the beer in the fermentor for a total of two weeks."

My beer stopped bubbling about yesterday, maybe the day before. Now I've got it sitting in bottles. I'm not too concerned about the subtlies of taste because this is my frist go, but is my beer going to explode?

Grab a hydrometer from one of your friends. They don't use them...

Soon, you'll be in the recipe section with all sorts of concerns over 1.076 SG (hydrometer reading) and attenuation (% malt consumed by the yeast).
The entire web is your beer encyclopaedia. When you find a good article on sour mashing, send me the URL.
Seth out

My beer stopped bubbling about yesterday, maybe the day before. Now I've got it sitting in bottles. I'm not too concerned about the subtlies of taste because this is my frist go, but is my beer going to explode?

sorry, but are you saying you left it to brew for for, like, a couple of days, then bottled it? :eek:

how long was it in the fermenter? & if less then a week, did you prime the bottles? :blink:

Spicks, when you answer the above we may be able to give you a better indication about the explosive potential....

I was given a Tooheys Homebrewing Kit for christmas and the hydrometer in it was broken.

That was thoughtful of them, I had to break mine myself.

I reckon a poll on "how many hydrometers have you busted" is coming on.

My beer was in the fermenter for 5 days - the airlock had stopped bubbling about two days before I bottled it. I'm not quite sure what priming means but I put sugar in the bottom of the bottles and then filled the bottles with beer up to 4cm from the top of the bottle.

Will I be hearing any bangs?

spicks said:
My beer was in the fermenter for 5 days - the airlock had stopped bubbling about two days before I bottled it. I'm not quite sure what priming means but I put sugar in the bottom of the bottles and then filled the bottles with beer up to 4cm from the top of the bottle.

Will I be hearing any bangs?
You primed them. The bottom line is, can't say for sure. It would have been nearing the end of fermentation. About the only reliable measure is SG readings bottoming out over 2 or 3 days.

I've only broken the one hydrometer (mainly because I never replaced it!!) but I think the poll whould not only how many have you broken, but how did you break it?

I accidentally bit the top off mine!! :rolleyes:

Funny that.

Speaking of hydrometers, I have had the very same one since a mate's dad gave it to me about 7? years ago.

I haven't used it for a good few months now either, whilst brewing and drinking the whole time...I don't expect it to see the light of day again, unless I dabble with honey again :p

PZ.

ah yes broken hydrometers,only broke one so far and did'nt i pay the price for it,after breaking the bloody thing i throw it staight in a plastic bag in the shed then when it came to bin night the shed bag was the last to go into the bin but then the bin lid would'nt close so i pushed the bag down by hand, the broken end shot through the bag and straight through my hand,a long wait at the medical centre and afew stiches later ,thats my story of the broken hydrometer.... ^_^ ^_^

I've never broken one before, But my friend attepted to use one as a tool to get the rubber grommet into the hole of the lid for the airlock. I think you can guess what the result was. Those hydrometers are very fragile.

If you leave the beer in secondary for about a week this might get you by. this will allow to ferment some more, or use plastic bottles.

Back