Newbie Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drew9242

Reaction score
Well i did me first all grain 4 days ago, all went well except i arerated at 60degrees. Anyway i went to rack my beer and had a taste, and it tastes like the grain smells after a night sitting there. Is this normal or have i stuffed it all up.

Well done on your first AG!

Not sure what you are referring to - aerated at 60 deg?

Did you take a starting gravity?
Yeast type, recipe?

Taste and smell given off by the yeast can change over time as the yeast could be giving some off flavours during the fermentation process. But these ff flavours and smells shall be released from the beer given aquequate fermentation time.

Maybe a little more info is required so we can answer your question, however in saying that, I dare say you have a good beer brewing away. ;)

Well done on your first AG!

Not sure what you are referring to - aerated at 60 deg?

Did you take a starting gravity?
Yeast type, recipe?

Taste and smell given off by the yeast can change over time as the yeast could be giving some off flavours during the fermentation process. But these ff flavours and smells shall be released from the beer given aquequate fermentation time.

Maybe a little more info is required so we can answer your question, however in saying that, I dare say you have a good beer brewing away. ;)

Thanks was Quite easy.

Well i was stupid and stired the crap out of it when it was 60 degrees and not at 22.

This is what i brewed, and the yeast was the Safale yeast cant remeber the number.

Brew Type: All GrainDate: 4/05/2009Style: American Brown AleBrewer: Drew RyderBatch Size: 21.00 LAssistant Brewer: Boil Volume: 23.08 LBoil Time: 60 minBrewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %Equipment: My EquipmentActual Efficiency: 69.48 %Taste Rating (50 possible points): 35.0

IngredientsAmountItemType% or IBU2.00 kgPale Malt (2 Row) Bel (4.0 SRM)Grain41.24 %1.00 kgPilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM)Grain20.62 %0.80 kgMunich Malt (9.0 SRM)Grain16.49 %0.80 kgWheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM)Grain16.49 %0.25 kgCaramel/Crystal Malt -120L (260.0 SRM)Grain5.15 %20.00 gmChallenger [7.50 %] (60 min)Hops17.2 IBU15.00 gmGoldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (10 min)Hops3.1 IBU30.00 gmGoldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (0 min)Hops-
Beer ProfileEstimated Original Gravity: 1.049 SG (1.045-1.060 SG)Measured Original Gravity: 1.049 SGEstimated Final Gravity: 1.013 SG (1.010-1.016 SG)Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SGEstimated Color: 16.5 SRM (18.0-35.0 SRM)Color [Color]Bitterness: 20.3 IBU (20.0-40.0 IBU)Alpha Acid Units: 5.3 AAUEstimated Alcohol by Volume: 4.76 % (4.30-6.20 %)Actual Alcohol by Volume: 5.73 %Actual Calories: 449 cal/l

Mash ProfileName: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch SpargeMash Tun Weight: 2.00 kgMash Grain Weight: 4.85 kgMash PH: 5.4 PHGrain Temperature: 22.2 CSparge Temperature: 75.6 CSparge Water: 16.29 LAdjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE
NameDescriptionStep TempStep TimeMash InAdd 12.65 L of water at 73.5 C65.6 C75 min

Mash Notes
Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and StorageCarbonation Type: Corn SugarCarbonation Volumes: 2.4 (2.0-2.6 vols)Estimated Priming Weight: 119.0 gmTemperature at Bottling: 15.6 CPrimer Used: -Age for: 4.0 WeeksStorage Temperature: 20.0 C
I assume it is fine but normally when i try my partials they tasted a lot better than that. Its the first time i have racked after 4 days so it might still be working its magic. Ill have to wait and see how it turns out after another 7 days.

Did you pitch your yeast at 22*c...??

How long did you wait when the wort had cooled before pitching...

If it is infected it will have an amonia/vinegar type smell

Yea pitched at 22, I left it in the frezzer for 4 hours and then pitched.

Well i think its going to be fine, it doesnt smell like amonia or vinigar, just like C02. So i leavea it for a week and taste it again.

Cheers.

Good to hear.

The yeast will clean up the beer also once fermentation has finished, so I am sure you are onto a winner.

Beers!

From what ive learnt hot side aeration has little impact on the beer...Most DME brewing kits require a manual mash in. Basically stirring the malt and water until they are combined....This results in heaps of aeration, but from what i have seen, has little impact on the beer..

From what ive learnt hot side aeration has little impact on the beer...Most DME brewing kits require a manual mash in. Basically stirring the malt and water until they are combined....This results in heaps of aeration, but from what i have seen, has little impact on the beer..

???
There can be many problems caused by HSA, although the initial flavour of the beer is likely to be fine. It is the effect over time that is a problem as well as visual faults like haze that you will possibly notice.
The beer will be fine probably but try not to aerate above 40C in the future.
Some good reading at this LINK

Cheers
Nige

Well i have now done a few all grain beers. And i have finally got a beer that i am really happy with 3rd time lucky.

The 1st batch which is the one at the start of this thread, turned out quite bitter. I assume i should have adjusted my hops addition because i did it no chill. But all in all it is quite drinkable.

Anyway i did the same thing in me second batch and it too was a bit bitter for my liking.

But finally on the third brew i got it right. I cracked one yesterday arvo and it was suprisingly good. So i am so excited about it, so i thought i would tell you all. And say thanks for a great site with all the help you could need.'

PS I have an imersion chiller now which i have used in my 4th all grain brew, which was bottled yesterday. Have to wait and see how that turns out.

Latest posts

Back