Newbie. Brisbane. Hello.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ralph1malph

Reaction score
Hi All,
Joined the forum at brew 14. All kits or extract and bottled. I don't have a brew fridge so only brew when the weather is right or I think I can control it.
That said, I am actively looking for a keg set up!
So far my brews have been hit and miss which I put squarely down to poor temp control as they often taste heavy of esters.
Anyhow, thanks for having me.

Ralph

Welcome Ralph. I'm guessing happy days are here now you're brewing. Maybe look into brewing a few saisons while you don't have temp control. Brew them between 20-25 and you won't get the esters. (Of course you will get the saison flavours though)

Hi Ralph and welcome. There are some cheap recommendations on this sight for general fermentation temperature control. Eg foam boxes with frozen soft drink bottles, placing in the laundry sink with wet towel around the fermenter ect. Just do some searches here to help.
Cheers

Gleetings little glasshopper.

Having lived myself in SEQ I can report that you are actually entering a period, until about the end of September, when you can get away quite nicely without temp control provided the fermenter is kept somewhere well insulated such as a brick garage away from any direct heat off the bricks, or ideally in a dark space under the house if you are in a high set.

A great bit of kit is a simple probe thermometer from Target or Robin's Kitchen and check out a bucket of water placed at your chosen fermenting location a few times a day. Once the ambient is 20 or less, you'll be sweet.

Cheers All,
I've brewed the last two brews by plonking the FV into a large tub of tap water...keeps it around 21-22, even with a towel.

Ralph

Welcome Ralph
Perfect timing for SEQ non temp brewing as mentioned by Bribie. Once September hits though (or before) hit up gumtree for a cheap/free fridge for fermentation, then it's a slippery slope for all the bells and whistles.

Plenty of info and assistance on here, just use the search and if u can't find it, ask. Someone will answer the question or provide links to threads within the forum

Hi mate, if you look long enough on gumtree you can easily pick up a decent fridge for under $50. There are some pretty cheap control switches on ebay as well. My beer definitely got better after temp control......and stainless conical and liquid ye....and....
Happy brewing mate

Latest posts

Back