New To Mash Brewing - Speidel Braumeister - Does Anyone In Oz Have One

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBrewDan

Reaction score
I saw one of these units at Grape & Grain the other day and it really caught my eye. I like it because its a neat compact setup, however I'm concerned that it might not be all its cracked up to be. I would like opinions on the system from experienced brewers and also from anyone that owns one of these units.

To paint the picture I little clearer, I am currently a partial mash brewer that wants to get into all grain brewing. So I'm currently trying to work out what system is best for me.

http://www.speidels-braumeister.de/shop_co...sche-daten.html

Cheers

Dan

PS

I have also looked into the Brutus Ten system from Ale Nuts.com. That system also looks great but the downside is that I would have to build it myself.

I saw one of these units at Grape & Grain the other day and it really caught my eye. I like it because its a neat compact setup, however I'm concerned that it might not be all its cracked up to be. I would like opinions on the system from experienced brewers and also from anyone that owns one of these units.

To paint the picture I little clearer, I am currently a partial mash brewer that wants to get into all grain brewing. So I'm currently trying to work out what system is best for me.

http://www.speidels-braumeister.de/shop_co...sche-daten.html

Cheers

Dan

PS

I have also looked into the Brutus Ten system from Ale Nuts.com. That system also looks great but the downside is that I would have to build it myself.

Or you could BIAB

I believe the braumeister would be a great unit and reports from people that have used it on this sight support that.

However if I were you while you are deciding on what system to get read up a bit on this forum about the different methods and have a crack at some small batches of AG brewing.
If you allready have a 20L stockpot (kmart $20) you could tackle a BIAB or if you grab a couple of cheap 10L food grade buckets (one inside the other with holes drilled in the bottom of the inside bucket) and a metre of 10mm plasti tube you can mash in your 20L stock pot (wrapped in blankets for insulation) lauter and sparge with your plastic bucket setup (running the wort into the now cleaned out stockpot with the 10mm tube.) Then its time to boil on stove top throw in hops etc:

I know you are probably keen to get a new you beaut system. But while you are making your mind up experimentation of this kind is cheap and you will learn soooo much about AG brewing and you can make a more informed decision on where you wish to go with your brewing.

At least this is pretty much what I did and I couldn't believe the great beer my first batch produced...

A suggestion at any rate. But going AG is one of the best decisions you will make this year no doubt.

Cheers :super:

The Braumeister is a single vessel system and, in a real sense, BIAB was developed from this principle, as the early BIAB pioneers such as Pistol Patch, Thirsty Boy and others looked at how a single vessel system could be implemented and had a good long look at what happens in a BM. The "malt pipe" in the BM is like a solid version of a bag.

The main differences are that it enables a grain bed to form, has recirculation using a pump, and a RIMS-like temperature control system. As well as being superbly engineered.
Several BIAB brewers have looked at extending their BIAB setup to incorporate a solid basket "malt pipe" type structure and also recirculation. I had a look at doing that myself but at the end of the day spent the money on a duplicate BIAB setup with electric 40L urn and bag.

My own experience is that:

Grain Bed: BIAB produces a fair amount of kettle trub as there is no grain bed, but using a floccing agent the wort out of the kettle is clear
Temp control: my last brew, to take one example, started mash at 64 degrees and dropped to 63.5 degrees after one hour, using lagging around the urn.

Happy with my system and have done well in competitions as well as producing good beers. BIAB is well worth a look if starting off in AG.

Edit: I feel that equally important aspects of brewing revolve around yeast and temperature control and beer handling (oxidation, storage etc) as well as recipe formulation and often wort production - important though it is - can be overly stressed about.

Latest posts

Back