New To Making A Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bulk prime with fresh juice, using the sugar content to calculate how much to use.
Sweeten in the glass with fresh.

I bulk prime with fresh juice, using the sugar content to calculate how much to use.
Sweeten in the glass with fresh.

Hey gents here is what i did today,
I warmed up 2.4l of berri apple juice tipped that into my fermenter i added to that i kilo of a number 15 brew enhancer and stirred it up i then added 6 lt of black and gold apple juice and 9.6 lt of apple/pear juice i the added another 2.4 lt berri aplle juice and then i warmed up the last berri apple juice and got the temp close to 20 degrees i the pitched in a us-05 yeast stirred it in and know i wait and see what i created. I will make it as you described with yeast and juice and later i will make the other recipe kindly provided by one of you gents the other day.
I thought of after two weeks putting the juice into another vessel kind of racking it and leaving it sit another week away from the yeast cake any thoughts.
Cheers Hopper

Hey gents here is what i did today,
I warmed up 2.4l of berri apple juice tipped that into my fermenter i added to that i kilo of a number 15 brew enhancer and stirred it up i then added 6 lt of black and gold apple juice and 9.6 lt of apple/pear juice i the added another 2.4 lt berri aplle juice and then i warmed up the last berri apple juice and got the temp close to 20 degrees i the pitched in a us-05 yeast stirred it in and know i wait and see what i created. I will make it as you described with yeast and juice and later i will make the other recipe kindly provided by one of you gents the other day.
I thought of after two weeks putting the juice into another vessel kind of racking it and leaving it sit another week away from the yeast cake any thoughts.
Cheers Hopper

Any thoughts on this guys.
Cheers Hopper

What are you trying to achieve by racking it after 2 weeks?

Hey Glen it was just a thought mate, i heard something about racking and something about the yeast cake giving my brew a sulpher kind of taste, i think i will i just bottle and carbonate when i get my final gravity reading stable, what do you think of what i put together.

Cheers Hopper

Hey Glen it was just a thought mate, i heard something about racking and something about the yeast cake giving my brew a sulpher kind of taste
There's a good thread here about racking. Don't be scared of the yeast cake - unless you're leaving your beer on it for long periods its probably not going to do any harm.

what do you think of what i put together.
Should be pretty tasty. The brew enchancer and pear juice contain a good whack of unfermentable sugar, which should leave you with some body and sweetness at the end.

Hey Glen it was just a thought mate, i heard something about racking and something about the yeast cake giving my brew a sulpher kind of taste, i think i will i just bottle and carbonate when i get my final gravity reading stable, what do you think of what i put together.

Cheers Hopper

When I make cider I always ferment for a minimum of 3 weeks on the yeast cake. I don't rack and don't have any issues at all. Always comes out clear and clean.

IMHO racking is an extra source of infection and oxidation which I personally don't think is worth the risk. Temperature control is far more important than racking. Get that right and you'll be sweet as bro.

JD.

When I make cider I always ferment for a minimum of 3 weeks on the yeast cake. I don't rack and don't have any issues at all. Always comes out clear and clean.

IMHO racking is an extra source of infection and oxidation which I personally don't think is worth the risk. Temperature control is far more important than racking. Get that right and you'll be sweet as bro.

JD.

Cheers JD i will leave it and bottle it. I have this coopers kit with this krausen collar and im worried about the brew spoiling leaving it in that fermentor that long as it is not a sealed fermenter so ill watch my fg and then bottle when stable. How long before you drink yours. did you make yours and what do you thik of the mix i put together.

Cheers Hopper

Cheers JD i will leave it and bottle it. I have this coopers kit with this krausen collar and im worried about the brew spoiling leaving it in that fermentor that long as it is not a sealed fermenter so ill watch my fg and then bottle when stable. How long before you drink yours. did you make yours and what do you thik of the mix i put together.

Cheers Hopper

I don't know anything about the brew enhancers, but if you've used good quality juice and yeast (I noticed you've used US05) it will be fine. I make mine predominantly for my sister-in-law who is coeliac so I make it gluten free.

As for drinking, I try to leave it as long as my patience permits. I found a bottle of 18 month old cider the other day and it was awesome. The flavours had really developed and it was crystal clear. My last batch has been in bottles for about 9 months and is just starting to come into its own. By the time 6 months has rolled around though there are usually only a few bottles left.

FWIW I bulk prime with brown sugar (although I have used carb drops in the past). Adds a nice depth to the colour.

Make a few and you'll know what works and what doesn't.

Cheers,

JD

Hey Gents, Here's a funny story.

On wednesday i bottled my cider made from 13 lt of apple juice and about 9 lt of apple/pear juice with a kilo of a of either a malt booster or some enhancer and saflager yeast. i left it in the fermenter for about 14 16 days then i bottled it, when i completed my bottling i had about 2.5 litres left. Anyway im on night shift and sleeping shit si at 1100 im up and bottling, with the left over mix i poured a very large cup 550 ml and drank it for breaky just to check my brew so to speak. That was followed by the rest of the mix and about 6 or so beers and all of a sudden its 6pm and **** ive got to shower to go to work. I was nice and charged by this time and nice lesson learnt if i sample my brew on a school day im calling in sick.

Cheers Hopper

Latest posts

Back