New To Making A Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Berwick.
Sounds like you got bit hard
Next youll be setting up a Rims and building your own cider press.. Dont forget the though, the bed gets cold at nights sleeping by yourself :p

The biggest thing I learned in the first few months I was brewing was patience. Lots of patience. And not to worry too much. These days I put a brew down and check it maybe twice in two weeks as its fermenting. Just leave it alone and let it do its thing.

Also, don't expect your first few brews to taste fantastic. They likely won't. I know mine didn't! At this stage its all about learning about process. If you brew a batch that doesn't turn out that great- never fear, you can always brew more!!

I wouldn't get too excited and have three fermenters going on the trot, you find out very quickly that that's ALOT of bottling work. Unless you have a keg setup of course. Which is on my list ;)

If by kit, you mean home brew kit (and not kit as in tin) then check out your local bunnings. They have 30L water barrels that are perfect as a fermenter, and will set you back alot less than a "kit" from the home brew shop. Another alternative is the "cubes" or jerry cans (water version - not fuel) that bunnings sell. You can also get smaller 10 and 15L ones that are perfect if you want to do small experementation batches. I use the 20L jerrys (they hold 20L + a decent amount of head space) because it lets me fit 3 across my fermentation fridge.

And speaking of fridges, before you go too gung-ho, you should look into temperature control. That will be the biggest thing you can do to improve your brew.

Now, thats a good tip. I've been wanting to get a few more fermenters and did'nt even think of Bunnings. Thanks :)

On the the topic od cider made from apple juice and the yeast what steps do i take, how long in fermenter and such im keen to try and make some this way.

Cheers Hopper

Man im so confused, the more i read here and the the more i talk to a buddy whos done all this before the more im thinking what hell.
Today im told if i use 22 litres of juice and just yeast ill have to rack it/ all i want to do is make a cider and enjoy it. I read bums recipe with the yeast juice small amounts of dextrose corn syrup etc can i pop all that in my fermentor then in a few weeks pour the bulk of it minus the yeast cake into another fermentor and leave it to ferment then bottle. im also told i cant carbonate as well.

I need the (kiss ) approach keep it simple stupid cause im stupid, im ready to go i have all the stuff can someone please step my through this train wreck.

All help greatly appreciated.

Hopper

My first few cider brews were very simple, just 22L juice, yeast, and bottled when appropriate. Of course quality wasn't very high for a few months but you can drink it when carbonation is complete.

The information available online is helpful, but daunting when starting out.

1. Pour preservative free apple juice of choice in fermenter to desired volume.
2. Add white wine yeast, wyeast liquid cider yeast, safale S04 yeast or US05 yeast or another yeast of choice
3. Ferment quite cool - 12 -15 if the yeast can handle it (check the packet and use the lowest end of the range specified)
4. When the gravity is about 1.000, let it sit a further week.
5. Place in fridge for a week or more at 2 degrees
6. Bottle/keg as normal and leave to carbonate.
7. Enjoy. Will improve with age.

This is the easiest of any brew, including basic kit and kilo. There are other things you can do to make it tricky but start with this. Makes a dry cider.

^ I would add to that 200-300g of LDME and a tsp of yeast nutrient. Gives it a bit more body and prevents the 'rotten fruit' smell you can sometimes get.

1. Pour preservative free apple juice of choice in fermenter to desired volume.
2. Add white wine yeast, wyeast liquid cider yeast, safale S04 yeast or US05 yeast or another yeast of choice
3. Ferment quite cool - 12 -15 if the yeast can handle it (check the packet and use the lowest end of the range specified)
4. When the gravity is about 1.000, let it sit a further week.
5. Place in fridge for a week or more at 2 degrees
6. Bottle/keg as normal and leave to carbonate.
7. Enjoy. Will improve with age.

This is the easiest of any brew, including basic kit and kilo. There are other things you can do to make it tricky but start with this. Makes a dry cider.

This is pretty much exactly what I did with a cider only recently, comes out quite dry, sweeten with a little fresh juice to taste, as good as anything youll pay a lot more for.

^ I would add to that 200-300g of LDME and a tsp of yeast nutrient. Gives it a bit more body and prevents the 'rotten fruit' smell you can sometimes get.

Yeast nutrient is good for healthy, non sulphur smelling fermentation. Never used malt - makes it more of a graff. Will add sweetness and body though.

I mix up my juices for added complexity (usually go for a good dose of preshafruit pink lady and granny smith but they are expensive) and add about 5g each of malic and tannic acid to 20 L at the beginning.

Above instructions are as simple as it can be before you start tweaking though. Juice + yeast + fermenter and time= cider

Graff is typically 80% cider 20% lightly hopped beer. This isn't enough to make it not-a-cider.

Never heard of malic & tannic acid, what do they bring to the party?

Just a bit of added complexity from acidity. If you make a cider from cider apples, you will get some tannins so tannic acid gives that quality. The acids will give a crisp, sharp 'bite'

he more i talk to a buddy whos done all this before the more im thinking what hell.
If his brews are what you want to be making then you should listen to him. If they are not then you should ignore him.

This is pretty much exactly what I did with a cider only recently, comes out quite dry, sweeten with a little fresh juice to taste, as good as anything youll pay a lot more for.

Awesome, and finally do I add carb drops to that

Use whatever method you would follow to carb your bottles for any brew.

Use whatever method you would follow to carb your bottles for any brew.

Cheers Bum, im gunna have a crack on the weekend.
I want to try it two ways one with just juice/ yeast and the other way with a little malt, dextrose and corn syrup. I cant wait to have a crack at these two. My first cider a tried yesterday its been bottled for nearly three weeks it was a black rock kit type it wasnt flash but ill keep the rest and try in three months.

Thanks guys for your thoughts i look forward to many chats if your ever over sunbury way look me up id like to meet some new people and chat about these topics over a brew.

Cheers Hopper

Latest posts

Back