New to Aussie Home Brew - East Melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjsyrax

Reaction score
Hey All,

Following suit here and introducing myself. Names Phil and I've been brewing for almost a year since my 30th.

Just about to move onto my first PM brew and then AG in a couple of months

Still finding my new beer taste buds (can't believe I use to love coronas lol) but think I'm leaning to the sweat and malty brews with low to medium bitterness.

Looking forward to more involvement in the the community and to brew day on Saturday.

Also keen on one day swapping some brews cause I make more than I drink and don't have many beer drinking mates.

-Phil-

Welcome aboard Phil, a fun journey awaits...

Being in East Melbourne, I hope you've been to the Gertrude hotel recently? Since they dropped VB & Carlton from their taps they've had an excellent selection of craft beer flowing through the place, and the selection changes regularly. it's a regular lunch spot for a few of us who have an office nearby...

Good to hear... I haven't been there before (i'm more like Ringwood/Wantirna) but its good to see more and more decent beer get into pubs/bars these days though.

I've actually got a big x-mas function coming up that i'm looking forward to in some regards, but dreading the fact that all the free booze will be typical function centre stuff (so most likely Carlton Draught) and am contemplating not even bothering drinking it and sticking to wine :)

pjsyrax said:
but think I'm leaning to the sweet and malty brews with low to medium bitterness
Good work! I think that makes about half a dozen of us in Australia now. Everyone else seems to think that 1000 IBU's is where it's at :ph34r:

You'll have to try some English ales. Try asking your LHBS to suggest a good recipe for mild... :lol:

Glad to hear I'm not the only one lol. Haven't found the perfect brew yet but I've got a recipie for a Brown Porter that I think will be pretty awesome but I've decided to make a summer ale wheat based beer instead.

I'll make the porter afterwards so it will be perfect for when the cold creeps in again (although in melbourne that could be in day in the year lol)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aussie Home Brewer mobile app

pjsyrax said:
Good to hear... I haven't been there before (i'm more like Ringwood/Wantirna) but its good to see more and more decent beer get into pubs/bars these days though.
Argh, I didn't realise you meant "Eastern" Melbourne as opposed to East Melbourne! Anyway, if you're ever in East Melbourne, I highly recommend the Gertrude for a craft beer bonanza.

Melbourne brewers brewclub is in ferntree gully.
Meet last wednesday of every month, new members and curious possibles always welcome.
Next and last meeting for the year is at taphouse in st kilda (special, one off)but good chance to meet, chat and swap.

Well I guess I was being vague and meant East of the CBD :rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aussie Home Brewer mobile app

Latest posts

Back