New to AHB from toowoomba

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notnerb

Reaction score
Hi from Toowoomba,

I have been brewing for several years now K&K mostly and some extract, but am venturing into the unknown of AG.

I hope to pick up hints, tips and advice from fellow members.

Cheers Notnerb

Welcome

What AG systems are you considering?

A lot of great information and good advice here

Cheers

Hi Notnerb,

We've got a pretty good AG scene here in Toowoomba. Make sure you get down and see the Pete, Anthony and Mitch at the HBS on James Street, good gear and ingredients and advice. We've also got a brew club which generally meets monthly, next meeting will probably be towards the end of next month.

We also have a facebook group which is better for keeping updated on what's happening locally. https://www.facebook.com/groups/TooSOBA/

If you request membership in the facebook group maybe pm me here with your real name so I know to add you, we get a lot of spam requests

Welcome to AHB, we reckon you should like it here.

Today Toowoomba has a really helpful community of home brewers that continues to grow, I lived there for decades until four years ago it was quite a struggle to connect with other local brewers. As per earle though things are now vastly improved with the club, group and other functions (e.g. case swap), plus the guys at the James St LHBS do indeed have their finger on the pulse, they're really switched on and you can't go wrong by walking in there.

I ummed and ahhed over AG systems and with some considerable research decided to go with the Grainfather.
Did my first AG in the bad boy last weekend and I have definitely learnt some lessons for next brew.
I did drop into James st LHBS for grain bill. They were most helpful.
I attempted a S&W pacific ale clone. Smells great (my nose of course), will see how it tastes in a few weeks.

Another vote for the guys at Toowoomba Homebrewers, very helpful and very well stocked.

Pretty much my only regret after moving from Dalby was that I'm not within reach of that store, fortunately I found HoppyDays ;)

Cheers Notnerb :beer: welcome.
I used to work as a spare parts assistant for Southern Cross Machinery Rocklea branch in the late 1970's. It's the one job I regret leaving as I could have travelled all over the Australian Outback erecting windmills and pumps in some fantastic places if I'd realised the opportunity that lay before me. Alas I made a bad decision and missed out.

The Southern Cross Foundry in Toowoomba took up a huge piece of real estate in the heart of the town back then. I suppose it's all gone now? They used to make some fantastic stuff that could last forever if properly looked after.

On a sad note, one of my nephews lost brakes in the truck he was driving coming down the Range there about six weeks ago, when his concerned mother asked him if he used the gravel trap to stop he replied 'No, I know the road really well and just kept blowing the horn to keep people out of my way' :( . I sure am glad I live in WA atm. The sad part is he's not going to get any wiser as he gets older as he's already around 40 y.o.

edit. Oh his main reason for not using the gravel trap was it would cost a fortune to get pulled out. Go work that one out!

Foundry site is soon to be redeveloped with a big green shed with a red hammer. Some areas of the foundry are to be retained as heritage as part of the redevelopment. Definitely won't be full of fantastic stuff that could last forever.

earle said:
Foundry site is soon to be redeveloped with a big green shed with a red hammer. Some areas of the foundry are to be retained as heritage as part of the redevelopment. Definitely won't be full of fantastic stuff that could last forever.
Very sad earle.

It might seem like I've got a strange fetish but some of the parts they made were great to lovingly touch, caress and fondle. There's just something about painted cast iron machinery that tugs at my heartstrings. I once bought an old cast iron jigsaw made in Melbourne in the 1930's or 40's, it was beautiful had curves in places most women would die for. I had it re-bushed, the paint job was perfect already, a lovely dark green, I built it a terrific stand and cupboard, it worked and sounded great! A rhythmic chugging sound that was music to the ears and soul. However the most pleasure I got from it was just looking and touching it. I must say I didn't just do this with the workshop shut up like a pervert, I did it with anyone in the shed with me at the time watching me ............ like a weirder form of pervert now I come to think about it :lol:. I sure made a killing with it when I sold it, but it sure was hard to part with.

Sorry to get of topic notnerb.

Latest posts

Back