New Mash Tun - I'm In Lurve

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its nitrile rubber I believe. The same stuff thats used to lag copper hot water pipes these days I beleive. I know its whats used on my parents hydronic heating any way. Its a fully synthetic rubber. I know the stuff wayne uses is a brand name product and its apparently not cheap. I have found a couple of sources for more generic versions around melbourne by googling "nitrile rubber sheeting" or something similar.

It's aeroflex closed cell lagging, you can buy it at Clark Rubber if you're keen.

Thirsty - nice tun. I've been meaning to get one for a year or so now but can never scratch up the dough. Still loving my 36L lagged electric kettle though...

Can you explain/show how that wort return dish thing works

Ahh ok, does that mean there is a seam on the back of it somewhere where the sheet is joined?

I assume so. I think if I set up a new mash tun I'd probably look into using neoprene. They make neoprene sleeves for 18L kegs so I can't see why you couldn't make one for a stock pot. The other benefit of that is you could take it off and put it on as needed (for washing or if you wanted to direct heat the tun for instance).

Can you explain/show how that wort return dish thing works

The dish is height adjustable, so you can sit it on top of your mash and return wort (or sparge water) to your mash without disturbing the bed.

It's aeroflex closed cell lagging, you can buy it at Clark Rubber if you're keen.

Thirsty - nice tun. I've been meaning to get one for a year or so now but can never scratch up the dough. Still loving my 36L lagged electric kettle though...
Try a refrigeration parts wholesaler, still not cheap but one step closer to source.

Been waiting and waiting for my new Beerbelly Mashtun to arrive - it did this morning. What a damn sexy bit of kit it is. I may have ruined myself for home made gear for the foreseeable future.

Wayne's work is just beautiful. This thing is everything I could have asked for and a bit more.

50L, special request custom full width flat false bottom - came with an upgrade to a 3 piece ball valve and with a free AG brew's worth of ingredients inside (because I had to wait a little while for the job)

NewMashtun3.jpg

Top quality bit of bling and I can hardly wait to break it in.

Wayne has himself another committed fan in me. Great quality gear and top notch customer service.

Thirsty

Dammit, you do realise you've made me spend the last hour checking out all the bling at Beerbelly.

Lots of top quality goodies there :icon_drool2:

Suddenly I feel the need to buy more gear :lol:

Great work
Top stuff
Lucky *******

:ph34r: Also love the silicone hose :ph34r:

I'm not really jealous. Look at the dodgy legs it comes with.... :blink:

How well does that stuff insulate ? BB or TB any figures on loss of temp during the mash?

cheers

Browndog

I'm not really jealous. Look at the dodgy legs it comes with.... :blink:

:lol: I shouldn't have taken the photo with it sitting on top of a cheap arsed ikea stool ... does kind of make it look like it comes with spindly little legs.

I get to just admire it for a week or so - gotta finish making my new kettle (the massive task of drilling a hole and fitting my pick-up tube and ball valve to it) - plus I might actually price some of the nitrile .. thinking about making the brewery all electric.

Then its a pre-commissioning brew with hot pbw to both clean things up and work out ramp rates, temp losses, boil off etc etc

Brewery is all metal now - big difference between BB kit and my old mash tun which is an $8 bunning storage tub - or for that matter my very first mash tun. a 10L white bucket insulated with fruit box foam and electrical tape .... brewed great beers in those cheapie plastic tuns though.

my very first brewery - a full HERMS - 10L mash tun, 20L electric HLT, 16L kettle, aquarium pump driven. I was at least as proud of that thing as I am of this new BB kit - but I know which I'd prefer :D

IMG_0983.jpg

50L, special request custom full width flat false bottom -

Just out curiosity why did you request the full width falsie instead of the standard one?

Oh and BTW awesome looking peice of kit i've been eye balling one of those for a while now. :icon_drool2:

Farside

Hi ThirstyBoy,

Love the new mash tun, looks great.

IN your last picture what are you using to heat your kettle? Looks just like a little gas burner. How did it go boiling?

Thats NOICE! ...and even better that it came full of ingredients for an AG.
Cheers
Steve

It's aeroflex closed cell lagging...

Specs say it can be used up to +175c intermittent. So could I use this on my BIAB brew pot using gas to heat it or would actual flame be a problem???

rgds mike

Actual flame would be a problem - LPG flame is much hotter than 175C. It would be fine for an electric element powered kettle though.

Back