New March Pump

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kleiny

There is no Charge for Awesomeness
Reaction score
Just got a march pump for my Bday on the weekend ;)

I have a 3 keggle gravity setup but now will change it to a single tier

Would like some pics and answers of how and why you have it setup?

Do you use quick connects or hard plumb?
How many ball valves do you use?
Do you have a seperate outlet to get hot water for cleaning?
Do you recirc the runnings during mash?
Is it worth setting up a herms or rims style system?

Share your wisdom
kleiny

Pumpy's setup looks pretty sweet but personally I think it might be overkill....but that is coming from someone who has never used his march pump before.

I am setting mine up with camlocks (quick disconnects) and will just have a few hoses that I can move around. There is a ball valve on each of the 3 vessels and one on a t-peice on the march pump to drain waste water (after cleaning??) away and to prime with.

I will post some pics when I get this setup..

Cheers, Pok

the KISS principle huh Pok? Im keen to see your then cause I ahvent done the plumbing part of my setup yet. my bulkbuy march pump is still in its box :(

Hey pok draw a diagram or share what you plan to do
if your anything like me you will have drawn a sketch of it some place

Have a look here link down near the bottom of the page, my plumbing is a little different from Pumpys. It is not RIMS or HERMS.

cheers

Browndog

Hey pok draw a diagram or share what you plan to do
if your anything like me you will have drawn a sketch of it some place

No real sketch, just in my head. Well nothing on paper that will make any sense.

Basically the hoses will be removable, so instead of having permanently fixed valves. However my setup is not a "traditional" style stand, my HLT is on the stand but my Kettle and Mash Tun are free standing on wheels so thats why I want the hoses.

Anyway I am going to go and put it all together now so I will take some photos when I'm done (should be up tonight).

Cheers, Pok

I put my camlocks on and one of the bastards leaks!!!! Will have to get the dodgey one replaced. Lucky I have a spare :D

Anyway will post a pic of the finished product later. I need to put some plumbers tape on joints etc to make them all seal properly 1st.

Pok

Ok here is some photos. Hopefully they tell the story clear enough.

Ohh and for those of you that are not welder handy, the framing that I used is fantastic. I bought it from Bunnings, was a little pricey (i guess cost me $150 for the the framing and nuts/bolts) but the best bit is it is easily modified.

_5.jpg
Pump with camlocks (male) and dump (priming) valve installed

_8.jpg
Close up of pump with hoses connected.

_6.jpg
Photo shows the hoses installed from the HLT to the pump. This might look strange because of where the valve is, I have put a drain the bottom of the HLT and mounted the valve on the frame with a hose joining the two (I hope that makes sense).

_7.jpg
Hose running to Mash Tun on the left

You can find more photos of my setup in my Album
and also Here

Cheers, Pok

Ok here is some photos. Hopefully they tell the story clear enough.

Ohh and for those of you that are not welder handy, the framing that I used is fantastic. I bought it from Bunnings, was a little pricey (i guess cost me $150 for the the framing and nuts/bolts) but the best bit is it is easily modified.

View attachment 19997
Pump with camlocks (male) and dump (priming) valve installed

View attachment 20000
Close up of pump with hoses connected.

View attachment 19998
Photo shows the hoses installed from the HLT to the pump. This might look strange because of where the valve is, I have put a drain the bottom of the HLT and mounted the valve on the frame with a hose joining the two (I hope that makes sense).

View attachment 19999
Hose running to Mash Tun on the left

You can find more photos of my setup in my Album
and also Here

Cheers, Pok

what is your mashtun created from mate?

what is your mashtun created from mate?

It is a SS cooler (esky) that I bought off ebay. It is on castor wheels. I have seen them at bunnings but they are extremely expensive there (like $300). I paid about $120 delivered.

There is more photos of it in my Album.

Cheers, Pok

Do you use quick connects or hard plumb?
Brass garden hose quick disconnects
How many ball valves do you use?
one on each vessel, and one on the outlet of the pump
Do you have a seperate outlet to get hot water for cleaning?
I'm guessing the fact that I have no idea what you're talking about means that I don't.
Do you recirc the runnings during mash?
no
Is it worth setting up a herms or rims style system?
dunno... been thinking about that myself.

Hey Kleiny,

Have a look in my gallery.

Ive got a tee piece to the inlet( to allow hot water from HLT and run-off from mash tun) and a tee piece from the outlet(to recirculate to top of mash tun and to pump to boiler/which doubles to prime pump).

Hi Pok
I am after similar fittings myself to connect to a March pump. Did you buy those in the Newcastle area.

Cheers
Glenn

I use 'Shurflo' fittings from marine suppliers,they are food grade,come straight or elbows.
They screw straight on 1/2" nipples and and take 1/2" hose, cost just $5.95 each.One thing you need to do is slip an o ring in them to ensure no leaks,easy as,I've been using them for years without a problem.

fitting.jpg

Find them here

http://www.whitworths.com.au

Search products 44651 and 44653

Batz

Hi Pok
I am after similar fittings myself to connect to a March pump. Did you buy those in the Newcastle area.

Cheers
Glenn

Glenn,

I bought them from "Nova Distributors" at New Lambton. They were around $4 / piece.

Cheers, Pok

pok i think im going with the same method as you cam loks and just move the hoses too where i wont them

im having trouble finding the fittings i know beer belly has them but he seems pricey, id like to get them local if i could

pok i think im going with the same method as you cam loks and just move the hoses too where i wont them

im having trouble finding the fittings i know beer belly has them but he seems pricey, id like to get them local if i could

Check out your local irrigations place if not online Here

Cheers, Pok

Latest posts

Back