New from Perth

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aussie Mick

Reaction score
G'day folks and thanks for allowing me in.

Looking at putting on a few brews. I used to brew in my early 20's (now in my mid 50's) back in the UK. I was a mash brewer, making mostly English bitter beers. Most of my recipes were from a book by Dave Line called "Brewing beers like those you buy". I had some great, and some not so great results.

I don't know whether I am keen enough to get back into mash brewing, I was thinking more along the lines of opening a tin, and sprinkling in the yeast. I remember not being too keen on kits back in the day, but I have been told that they have improved over the years, so I thought.....why not.

Any suggestions for a decent kit that will produce a drinkable Heineken type beer?

TIA :)

G'day Aussie Mick - welcome aboard and post often. Lagers are a style that are hardest to nail in the kit form. I toggle between doing All Grain brewing and kits and I remember last year doing a Morgans Blue Mountain Lager kit with a kilo of Coopers Brew Enhancer 2 and a packet of Fermentis US05 yeast 12 gra,ms of Hersbrucker hops and being pleased with the results after it sat in the bottle for three weeks or more. Was it like Heinekin??? Probably not.

Towards the end of my kit brewing days I started buying the Mangrove Jacks Craft Series pouches and yes they were worth brewing.

But all of this is framed in the context of do you have a temperature controlled environment to ferment in. If not then use the search button. To brew lager like beers nicely in this country you need to be able to get the fermentation down to a constantly low temp for a fair period of time either in a converted fridge or freezer.

Ironically if you just wanted to do English style Ales then it would still require some temperature control but not be as fragile as the lagers.

Thanks for the reply Lager Frenzy. Yes, I been doing some reading up. Looks like I'll need to invest in a fridge and a temperature controller. Maybe I'll start with the Mangrove Jacks then if you recommend them.

Ironically, I actually prefer English real ale style beers. I was just assuming being in this part of the world, the homebrew world would be dominated by lager type beers. I have a lot to learn :)

Yes although we drink a lot of lager in Oz it is a pretty hard style to brew here as it wants lower brewing temps and extended cold storage afterwards. Ales on the other hand are pretty easy to nail, particularly if you can keep the fermentation at or under 20C. If you don't have a spare fridge do a search here on fermentation chambers. Lotsnof ways to knock out a cheap one for little or no coin.

For your preferred style of beer you could start with the Coopers English Bitter can or the Mangrove Jack's London Bitter - either of them brewed with a Liquid Malt Extract should get you within range. You csn play around with steeping some spec grains or hop additions after that if you fancy. All the best.

Hey Aussie Mick- welcome to the site and back to the art of brewing. Enjoy hey! :)

Back