New Design Kegmate Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Ross I was going to PM you but maybe others could be interested.

Before March is out, I will be in extreme need an extra fridge (plain fridge without a freezer compartment ) and attach a fridgemate. However the retailers want an arm and a leg for them. Bar fridges are too small and the next ones up are the pigeon pair units that are over a grand. Plus I'd need to get and wire a Fridgemate again etc. Sure there are fridges on Ebay but I know the keggy is reliable and top quality and I would rather not have a power-chewing monster in addition to my existing fridges.

I note that the new model Kegmate

kegmate.jpg

has improved temp control and it would be great to whack in an ale, dial it to 18 degrees, drop to 4 degrees and just let it sit until there's a spot free in my other "serving" kegmate.

Questions:

I wonder if I could trouble you to get out a tape measure and give me an idea:

• Would this bad boy hold a 60L fermenter? - i.e. 41L length and fill 2 kegs
  • Could it be transported on its side in the back of the Mazda?
  • What is the temperature range that can be dialled on these new models? My existing only goes 2 to 8

cheers

BribieG

edit: alternatively what do Fastway charge in Greater Bris area do you know?

BribieG,

What better way for a first post.

I had one of these delivered last week.

Internal Dimension 480mm deep x 545mm Width X 725mm high - but it does have a chunk cut out of the back for the compressor, though it does allow three kegs to go full height. Let me know the diameter of you fermenter and I will make a cut out and see if it fits!

Don't see a problem with transporting (obviously empty) but like most fridges you need to let them rest before turning them on in case liquid refrigerant has got where it shouldn't :)

Just tried the temperature range and you can set 0C > 28C

Hope this helps

Cheers
Steve

Ross I was going to PM you but maybe others could be interested.

Before March is out, I will be in extreme need an extra fridge (plain fridge without a freezer compartment ) and attach a fridgemate. However the retailers want an arm and a leg for them. Bar fridges are too small and the next ones up are the pigeon pair units that are over a grand. Plus I'd need to get and wire a Fridgemate again etc. Sure there are fridges on Ebay but I know the keggy is reliable and top quality and I would rather not have a power-chewing monster in addition to my existing fridges.

I note that the new model Kegmate

View attachment 44349

has improved temp control and it would be great to whack in an ale, dial it to 18 degrees, drop to 4 degrees and just let it sit until there's a spot free in my other "serving" kegmate.

Questions:

I wonder if I could trouble you to get out a tape measure and give me an idea:

• Would this bad boy hold a 60L fermenter? - i.e. 41L length and fill 2 kegs
  • Could it be transported on its side in the back of the Mazda?
  • What is the temperature range that can be dialled on these new models? My existing only goes 2 to 8

cheers

BribieG

edit: alternatively what do Fastway charge in Greater Bris area do you know?

Thanks guys & Steve

Sorry should have mentioned that I already have one with a 3 tap font which is why I know they are good. It's my little shrine in the corner of the brewery - Steve you are going to love your unit. I would like to get another one, not as a serving kegerator but as an all purpose fridge because they are just so versatile. If I can fit a 60L then I can use it for fermenting, cold crashing, keep a cube in there lagering at 1 plus a keg alongside it, prechilling before it gets put into the serving kegmate - turn it back into a beer fridge to keep a few dozen bottles chilled for a couple of months coming up to comp season from June to October - and if Allah Forbid I ever get out of brewing I'll stick a font on it, some lines and sell off with some kegs as a ready to go system, which I couldn't do with just a kitchen style fridge.

I have a one-fermenter temp-controlled fridge for primary and a big cold lagering fridge that holds 3 cubes but nothing in between and a 2 week lager fermentation just brings everything to a screaming halt, and I'm looking at putting 3 or 4 lagers into comp this year. :icon_drunk:

I don't have a 60L but Ross (Craftbrewer / Bacchus) uses heaps of 60s so when he reads this hopefully they can grab one and have a look. When I was looking at kegging a couple of years ago I found there are lots of Good Guys style fridges around that look good but nothing that can touch a kegmate for HB purposes for the $$$$

Cheers.
:icon_cheers:

BribieG,

I have also converted up to three taps after SWMBO took one keg slot for soda water!

The unit does work a treat but a bit of a pain having the gas inside. I am moving it out as I have the room , and am putting a four way manifold on the CO2 bottle to gas the three kegs and have a spare line for force carbonation.

So far it is a great little unit.

Cheers
Steve

snip..

I don't have a 60L but Ross (Craftbrewer / Bacchus) uses heaps of 60s so when he reads this hopefully they can grab one and have a look. When I was looking at kegging a couple of years ago I found there are lots of Good Guys style fridges around that look good but nothing that can touch a kegmate for HB purposes for the $$$$

Cheers.
:icon_cheers:

Bribie... i don't have a kegerator like this, nor do i have a 60L fermenter.... however i was at Craftbrewer's a couple of months back and asked Ross the same thing about fitting a 60L in the kegerator. He went and picked up a 60 and slotted it straight into the kegerator. Fitted no problems without lid.

Bribie, looks like Aargon beat me to it - 60L Fermenter fits fine with lid.
Personally I'd prefer to control temp with a Tempmate rather than allowing the fridge to control it, but if that's what you want the temperature range can be set to what you want.

cheers Ross

Thanks for that Argon, I'd be using it clingwrapped anyway - sounds like it's all coming together.

Steve: a bit off topic but those 4 way manifolds are great as they have a cutoff valve for each line. However I went a different way, using a combination of John Guest fittings. Mate, get yourself a good long naked gas line as - if you get seriously into all grain brewing, lagering etc it's brilliant to have a CO2 instant squirting device - I use it to flush headspace of lagering cubes, headspace of glass bottles then cap immediately etc. Also necessary to attach to counter pressure bottle fillers and all manner of devices. :icon_cheers:

gas_lines.JPG

the two kegs on the left run of the Equal Tee, and the keg on the right is the one that sits in front of the compressor hump and I keep the naked gas line coiled on top of the kegs like a garden hose.

Thanks Ross .. why would you use a Fridgemate, I thought that was the idea of the new circuit board in the Keggys.

<snip>

Thanks Ross .. why would you use a Fridgemate, I thought that was the idea of the new circuit board in the Keggys.

Cause without the fridgemate you cannot measure the temp of the wort, only the fridge air temp.

QldKev

laughing.jpeg

So fridgemate for fermenting, just run "native" for lagering / beer storage.

BribieG,

Thinks for that. I moved the gas bottle out and just finished plumbing the four way. Three lines go into the fridge (It is a very tight squeeze to get three line through that hole in the back) and the fourth line is coiled at the back of the gas bottle with 2 metres of line for force carbonation, etc. Your idea of a naked line is excellent. I have a couple of John Guest fittings so I will put a tee on it and add a naked line.

Cheers
Steve

Steve: a bit off topic but those 4 way manifolds are great as they have a cutoff valve for each line. However I went a different way, using a combination of John Guest fittings. Mate, get yourself a good long naked gas line as - if you get seriously into all grain brewing, lagering etc it's brilliant to have a CO2 instant squirting device - I use it to flush headspace of lagering cubes, headspace of glass bottles then cap immediately etc. Also necessary to attach to counter pressure bottle fillers and all manner of devices. :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back