New Brewer Kit Suggestions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crambo

Reaction score
Hi, so with my spare time thought i'd use it to explore the art of brewing my own beer, cause i sure as hell enjoy drinking it, so why not learn to make it and savour my own fruits.

I am obviously going to start with an extract kit to get started to get the basics down before i even consider moving onto a FWK, if at all. I've done a lot of reading and youtube watching before even buying a single thing and am at a stage where im confident to move forward and get brewing, but first i thought i'd join here instead of just reading as a guest and ask a few questions before i get started.

What equipment should i definitely buy before my first brew? I don't mean the stock standard stuff, i mean the things that make the process easier and the brew better in the end. I am at this stage definitely looking at doing the two fermenter carbonation system, draining into one, stirring in syrup and then bottling from there to hopefully eliminate some sediment as its been a reason i didnt enjoy others' home brews i've tried in the past.

Mainly though, i'm here for a tip on what extract kit/ingredients to get for my first briew cause i know if i thoroughly enjoy and love my first brews taste i will dive deep into this world. So my usual beer preference is a lager, but on the darker flavoured side, so what kits are good, any suggestions for additives etc??

Any and all help would be great and can't wait to get brewing!!

im in wollongong, have read that advice before but thought i'd get going before hitting a group for help

Don't write off FWK they are the easiest way to get into brewing with fantastic results which leave most kits way behind.

With a FWK just add yeast and away you go. The only essential will be temperature control which you will need anyhow whatever you go for.

Drawbacks of FWK are initial cost and shipping + the danger that you will hate most kit beers afterwards.

NB I am kit and bits brewer but when I feel flush and lazy buy a FWK. Still waiting for a delivery from Sponsors above taking a long time and still recovering from the shipping costs but the beer should be worth it.

If you're bottling get a bottle tree, trying to dry 30 bottles in a dish rack is a nightmare :p Also a bench capper is a must if you're using glass bottles.

As for recipes IMO start off with simple kit and kilo and work on your brewing process ie. cleaning, sanitiation, temp control, bottling and so on, then move onto steeping grains and hops. I did exactly the opposite of this and jumped straight into AG after 2 batches so maybe take that with a pinch of salt :lol:

I assume from what you said you are planning on skipping hoppped goo and going straight to unhopped extract. If so my best advice is:

- Keep your fermentor cool, 18degC for ales max
- Steep some late hops and specialty malts to add complexity/hide faults
- Use a quality yeast such as US-04/US-05 as a starting point
- Aim for an easier style like APA/IPA/Aussie Pale Ale/Stout as a starting point and avoid lagers until your confident you have things under control
- Don't bother with secondary/bulk priming until you have everything else sorted
- Let your beers sit at least 2 months in the bottle before drinking

As felten says, drying tree can be helpfull but not necessary from the outset....$50 you dont need to spend straight away.
definetly get a bench capper.
as for a kit the Coopers Micro Brew kit will get you started nicely. It has a fermenter, hydro, brew enhancer, lager kit(you like lager), carb drops and 30 long neck bottles(plastic but they work). and a few other bits and bobs, but everything you need for your first batch.
My main sugestion would be to start fairly basic and work your way into adding grains and hops. Bottled a Coopers Euro Lager with Grain Infusion pack(from absolute hb) plus 2 hop 't' bags, today. Tastes bloody awesome straight from the fermenter.
Most important keep your temps right...10-15 for lagers...then age for 8 weeks plus before drinking.
All the best.

I would make a straight K&K to start with as above to get the process but also to see how easy it is to make vast improvements. For your second brew I would then do a small boil adding some hops and buy a better dry yeast. With these few extra dollars and a tiny bit of effort you will see how your brews improve.

Cheers Stu

thanks for the info guys, very helpful.

Will definitely grab a bottle tree, and had already considered the coopers kt as i was somewhat sure i was going to go with PET bottles anyway.

as for temperature, can you give me the ideal ranges for the different styles? Also, how do most of you make sure it sits at that temperature?

A good starting point from what i can gather is about 20C for ales, lagers much cooler.

If you dont have access to a fridge and a temp controller, you can use a large tub filled with water with frozen milk containers dropped into the water. Replace every 12-24 hours and you should be sweet. Keeps it pretty well at 20C even for a north qld summer.

hey mate welcome to the obsession!!
I'm also in the gong & when doing extract I went to the northern brew in Woonona, Alan is a very friendly helpful guy but he is geared at kits FWK extract & spirits (also cheese?!) so can be a bit pricey for grain & hops he also doesn't stock liquid yeasts but can get them. If you're keen to meet up for a beer & a chat let me know am happy for you to head to my place & have a look at my setup and ask any questions. There is also a brew day organised for next weekend if you're keen? I'll try and get you added to the IBU's ( Illawarra Brewers Union) as I'm still a novice & there will be much more experienced people attending
cheers
Steve

hey crambo.

for a cheap way to keep your lager temps down. or even ales, this is what I do.

You need an old fridge..or a bloody brand new one if you want, attach it to a timer switch, then have your timer come on for 15-45 minutes at a go a couple of times a day.
I currently run my timer for 30 mins at a go 4 times from 8.30am to 4.00pm. The fridge holds temp fine during the night. I find the fridge sits between about 8-17 degrees.The brew sits fairly steady from 12-14 degrees.
I ran it with a fermenter with plain water for 3 days to get the settings correct. I also have a thermometer in the fridge.
and because its cool your bottled beers can stay in the fridge to condition then only need 15 mins in the freezer for icy cold enjoyment, yum beer

if you bother buying a timer and a therometer your better of getting a temp control from ebay can be picked up for $20-30 and no testing with water just set and forget. Also water and fermenting beer are different water does not generate heat where fermenting beer does so the process you used with plain water, fermenting beer is going to be hotter but when it slows down it wont generate as much heat so best to get a temp control as it will do it all for you.

From what I have read you are doing kit brewing not extract. Kit brewing is buying a pre hopped kit IE: coopers lager and adding malt and sugar (kit and kilo or K&K) then there is kits and bits which is a kit like coopers lager sugars and malt and then you add extra hops or grain to make it better. Then you have extract you buy unhopped malt (dry or liquid) and you add all your own hops, sugars and grain as needed. Then you have partial which using base grain malts (not crystal) but you still use some malt extract and use hops and sugars. Then there is all grain which is all grain malts with hops (some times if the style calls for it some sugars)

Hi guys, thanks for all the info so far. Definately looking at starting with K&K (gotta get down with the lingo) and then progress from there. Would most recommend i stick to the general instructions first brew before exploring things like dry hopping etc?

As for temperature control, without visiting a store or knowing exactly what you're all talking about, is it as simple as using a probe control (like those used in aquariums) sterilised and sitting in the brew or more complex using a fridge? I generally want to keep it low maintenance once its fermenting. I think to start with im just gonna use my bath tub and some ice bricks..

hey mate welcome to the obsession!!
I'm also in the gong & when doing extract I went to the northern brew in Woonona, Alan is a very friendly helpful guy but he is geared at kits FWK extract & spirits (also cheese?!) so can be a bit pricey for grain & hops he also doesn't stock liquid yeasts but can get them. If you're keen to meet up for a beer & a chat let me know am happy for you to head to my place & have a look at my setup and ask any questions. There is also a brew day organised for next weekend if you're keen? I'll try and get you added to the IBU's ( Illawarra Brewers Union) as I'm still a novice & there will be much more experienced people attending
cheers
Steve

Cheers Steve, ill get a brew or two going first, but definitely keen to meet some wiser brewers.

Temperature-wise, brewing with the seasons helps.
Without a brew fridge, Temperature control can start with just a wet towel and ice bricks. In summer, I do ales - I have a 2L coke bottle with chilled water in the fridge, pouring it over the towel every morning & night, and rotating ice bricks.
In winter, my garage sits around 16c. Ales take a bit longer at that temp (18c is a good temp for ales), but it's (almost) ideal for lagers.

Nowadays, I can fit a fermenter in my fridge and brew lagers at 10c - and the beers above are reasonably cool enough to drink.

The sponsors above have temperature control kits for sale - dangle the probe in your fridge or fermenter, and plug in line with the fridge. Easy.

Lastly, joining a brew club is a great way to get feedback for your beers, and advice on making better beer. And you'll make a bunch of new mates and taste their AMAZING beers. Honestly the best move I've made in this hobby.

Welcome to the obsession!
Cheers
Pete

Clubs are also a good way to get access to gear.

People are always selling trading etc.

you'll get some great gear at the right prices

Things you want
1. Something to help control temps (See other peoples above)
2. 2nd tank is good for going with bulk priming.
3. Stansan no rinse sanitiser (Dont worry about the foam, as hard as that is)
4. Bench capper if going with glass bottles.
5. You will need around 30 plastics(750ml) or 33 glass (640ml) bottles per 23L batch.

I wouldnt worry about the bottling tree. I simple wash 1 bottle with starsan and then pour through a funnel into the next etc etc. Leaving them upright on the bench, then once I have done them all I tip out the leftover water in the bottom of each and thats it. I have left upside down in boxes as well but really just getting 99.9% out via tipping and shaking seems to be fine.

As for what to try, well its up to you what styles you like. I went Morgons Dockland stout with 1kg Dark dry malt extract and 200g lactose and used Safale S04 yeast for my first. It was a little 1 note but a very nice beer.

So I would say for your first kit
Find a kit you like the look of.
Add in 1kg of either light or dark malt depending on the style of beer. Maybe 500g and 500g Dextrose.
Use S04 or US05 yeast from you LHBS

Up to you if you want to try some hop and/or grain additions. But ferment the above at 18-22 and you wioll get a very drinkable beer to get you started :) Enjoy and welcome to the obsession, youll be AG in no time.

For temperature control you don't have to immerse the probe in the beer, just tape it to the outside of the fermenter and insulate it from the ambient air. You can purchase a controller from ebay for like 20 bucks, if you can wire it up yourself, set the temperature you want and you're good to go.

I put my bottles in the oven over 100c and put them back in a slab box to cool down.
that doesn't work so well with PET bottles :D

A good starting point from what i can gather is about 20C for ales, lagers much cooler.

If you dont have access to a fridge and a temp controller, you can use a large tub filled with water with frozen milk containers dropped into the water. Replace every 12-24 hours and you should be sweet. Keeps it pretty well at 20C even for a north qld summer.

+1 for the bath water trick. Just make sure you pre-plan and have a quite few frozen bottles at the start, coz if your anywhere with warm tap water getting the initial temp correct once the bath is full can take a fair bit of ice.

However, once at optimal temp, its fairly easy to keep constant with AM & PM rotations of a couple of frozen water bottles.

Also, not essential to get a wizz-bang uber digital temp probe, a little dial temperature gauge on a spike works just as well (just like the ones on the side of a milk frothing jug) Can pick them up from kitchen places (hell, even K-Mart probably has them...) for ~$10.

Poke through some foam to float in the bath and your done. :icon_cheers:

EDIT: Welcome to the addition too mate! :icon_chickcheers:

Latest posts

Back