New Beer Label Samples For Feedback

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Label ?

• Number 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Number 2

• Number 3

• Number 4

• Total voters
ive given it a bit of thought and like #1 and #4 but voted for #4.either way the labels look great merc.

cheers
big d

G'day,

Initially I liked #1, and voted for it.

Comparing the labels (in toto) to commercial labels, I notice the main difference is a lack of a large central focus. On the labels here (at home), there is usually a bold central name, which is either the Brewery Name or the beer name/style with the brewery name above in small type, maybe even a different font.
To get my attention, that's what I'd like to see.

I've played with a label to give U an idea of what I mean...

re_merc.jpg

beerz,
Seth out :p

* edited for punctuation and more info added*

Weizguy said:
G'day,

Initially I liked #1, and voted for it.

Comparing the labels (in toto) to commercial labels, I notice the main difference is a lack of a large central focus. On the labels here (at home), there is usually a bold central name, which is either the Brewery Name or the beer name/style with the brewery name above in small type, maybe even a different font.
To get my attention, that's what I'd like to see.

I've played with a label to give U an idea of what I mean...

View attachment 5650

beerz,

* edited for punctuation and more info added*
[post="103958"][/post]​

Thats the SHIT :excl:

Good work.

Weizguy great job!! I had talked with the designer about making the "Summer Ale" either larger or somehow standout more and you have acheived that with your reworking.

I will be showing the graphics guy on Monday and see what they think. You may just be in for a case when it comes out!! :super:

It is interesting that alot of people are picking 4 but also like 3. 3 is 4 with out the yellow added. I like it but it could be a problem to print as it is a 5 colour job and therefore pricey but also finicky to do -or so I am told.

dsP woosy?? please explain? (if you feel like it)

After careful consideration, and 9 post-cricket beers, I make the alcohol and sun affected decision of

How/where can we sample this when it is all signed, selaed and delivered?

(Looking at it from a Canberra perspective)

M.

as long as the summer ale tastes better than the label looks then your on a winner merc.at the end of the day flash labels dont make a beer great.great beers make labels sell if you get my drift.

cheers
big d

Absolutely - good beer first and then damn good marketing. Plenty of great product that got no where - it is a fine line between excellent product and excellent marketing and one that not many people get right. One also that not many people know how to get right if in fact any one does. Blue Tongue is a case in point - pretty good label and packaging, good marketing but product lets it down.

I am going to do my best.

Beer will be Melbourne based first then hope to expand.

Merc, I can understand your problems with using a limited amount of colours , etc. The label that I have designed is not of the style of J.S, but is a more bold style using 3 colours in a somewhat traditional style. I have designed the label so that it keeps the same layout, but has a different colour per beer. This helps keep cost down and make it easier to add more beers and keep the same label style.One label across a range can work if done correctly. It has worked across many types of product.

As for bottles.....unless you want to go with the 330ml bottles, expect to pay BIG $$$ for custom bottles. 29-30c per bottle was the price I was qouted at for a few thousand per order...and swing top ( Grolsch) are about $2.50 for small ones...

As for market research, it is very easy, go to as many pubs as possible, ask the publican questions and go from there. I have been lucky that I know various people that own/run pubs & bottle shops, and have milked them for every bit of info that I can. All have been very positive, and have given me some very valuable advice

Good luck Merc, hope it goes well for you.We all have different ideas, but it is all about the beer in the end

Mercs Own said:
Weizguy great job!! I had talked with the designer about making the "Summer Ale" either larger or somehow standout more and you have acheived that with your reworking.

I will be showing the graphics guy on Monday and see what they think. You may just be in for a case when it comes out!! :super:

It is interesting that alot of people are picking 4 but also like 3. 3 is 4 with out the yellow added. I like it but it could be a problem to print as it is a 5 colour job and therefore pricey but also finicky to do -or so I am told.

dsP woosy?? please explain? (if you feel like it)
[post="104008"][/post]​
Thanks Paul.

Mighty nice of U to offer beer, if it works.
U would need to ensure that the title(s) i.e "Mercs Own" and maybe "Summer Ale", are centralised, IMHO. Prob doesn't matter if the beer name is a little offset, for effect.
U will notice that, close-up, my work is a little shoddy (at least), but I wanted U to see the concept. Took a little while to colour in arond my cut/paste/resize, but it seems that you got my idea.

It will most likely look different on the bottle too, as previously suggested.

Please let us know when the beer is available and maybe a list of stockists.
Not being in Melbourne, I probably won't see it unless you send me a case :lol: , but Melbourne-ites will prob be keen to taste the beer/ support the brewer!

Cheers, and I wish U the best of luck.

I concur with Seth's version of your label. Seems more aesthetically (?sp) pleasing & eye catching.

ok I voted for number 4....

I would have to say No. 3 It has a mixture fo colors, not to much and it has a bit of blue. And as we know we are all true blue Aussies... lol

Cheers

Craig

from dsP Re woosy labels

You are about to go into one of the most contested segments of the fmcg market i.e. packaged beer. Go and have a look at a First Choice or LiquorLand fridge front and check out the number of beer brands available -hundreds!

And it's getting more congested in the premium end too as the big brewers see that as one of the few growth areas (you'll note that premium brands like Stella Artois and Becks are now brewed locally). So Merc you need to stand out and stand out means stronger colours and uncluttered, less-fussy design. Your colours are best described as pastel - hence my comment about woosy.

At least you haven't used cartoons like Cascade!

What's it taste like? dsP

dsP - I reckon it tastes very bloody terrific. So far every one I have given a taste have really liked it. They feel like it is a sessional type beer. One friend who tried the beer has done a few VB adds and is probably a VB drinker although I got him onto Coopers Pale when I worked with him a couple of years ago - he really liked it.

Oh and importantly my wife loves it!

So the signs are good but I wont know until it is out there and yes it is a tough game - dont know why I want to do it other than I like a challenge and I like my beer and I like the business so I like to give it a go.

My first beer had strong colours some people loved the packaging and thought it was strong and suitably different. Others hated it. It is really about building a brand, growing it up so that it has a strong image and a strong reputation for all those things the brand stands for: quality, value, point of difference, integrity, leadership and history. I am under no illusions that this will take time - got to start somewhere.

BTY what do people think of the new packaging for Matilda Bay Bohemian Pils?

i kinda like the BoPils packaging
i like your designer, looks like they gave you 4 designs almost exactly the same. it's the best way to cut to the chase with difficult clients (i'm sure you don't fall into that category Merc)
what's this about 5 colour printing? are you using a metallic as well as 4 colour?
don't let those printers give you the old runaround mate. they've got a few tricks up their sleeves ;)

edit - worst packaging would have to be watsisnames brews with the extremelty dodgy hand drawn colour pencil stuff. hatlifter stout and gold something. nice brews but terrible labels IMO.

hatlifter stout is from grand ridge brewery.

I hate those labels for a different reason - they're a bugger to get off!

Keep up the good work Merc

I have found that my best beers are the ones my missus likes to drink.. :super:

So when is the beer going to be released up here on the NSW Nth Coast...cant wait.. :party:

Back