New Australian Style - Experiment Invite/Discussion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sippa

Reaction score
Ok people, without looking to much into this (therefore I have don't know if this has really been looked at on this forum), as of yet, I think there are not enough beer styles attributed to great Aussie ingenuity. Sure we have APA, Bitter and Australian Lager but I think these styles are no longer a good representation of our developing palate with what appears to be a big surge towards American developed styles of late.

To accommodate our evolving taste I would challenge you to discuss or better yet create some beers that are unique to our geological location. Sure we can get any style of hop, yeast and grains here but what can we create using what is produced in Australia? And what can we create if we take modern re-refrigeration out of the equation?

Maybe we could broaden our thinking to Australasian instead of solely Australian in terms of available resources.

I'd be interested to hear what you all think.

As far as I'm aware traditionally a style has been developed based on what was ingredients and techniques were available at the time to any one populous.

bradsbrew said:
The government has now banned fridges ?
Thinking along the lines of what might be a limiting factor that would steer the development of any one style, ergo maybe a lot of northern brewers only brew in winter because they have no refrigeration capability for fermentation, or maybe they just choose to ferment at what ever ambient temp is and make a beer that works with those temperatures.

Sippa said:
Ok people, without looking to much into this (therefore I have don't know if this has really been looked at on this forum), as of yet, I think there are not enough beer styles attributed to great Aussie ingenuity. Sure we have APA, Bitter and Australian Lager but I think these styles are no longer a good representation of our developing palate with what appears to be a big surge towards American developed styles of late.

To accommodate our evolving taste I would challenge you to discuss or better yet create some beers that are unique to our geological location. Sure we can get any style of hop, yeast and grains here but what can we create using what is produced in Australia? And what can we create if we take modern re-refrigeration out of the equation?

Maybe we could broaden our thinking to Australasian instead of solely Australian in terms of available resources.

I'd be interested to hear what you all think.

Sippa said:
As far as I'm aware traditionally a style has been developed based on what was ingredients and techniques were available at the time to any one populous.
Pretty sure fridges are available at this point.

Plenty of hops now grown in Australia these days, as with grain. I think the biggest limitation would be yeast.

Sippa said:
Thinking along the lines of what might be a limiting factor that would steer the development of any one style, ergo maybe a lot of northern brewers only brew in winter because they have no refrigeration capability for fermentation, or maybe they just choose to ferment at what ever ambient temp is and make a beer that works with those temperatures.
I get where your coming from but why take away a component that severely effects the beer. If your talking lets make a beer that may have been created 200 years ago then fair enough. If your saying lets make a beer that reflects modern Australia and its produce then temp control is vital.

Cheers

Just wait a few months, the bjcp seem to make up new styles every few months or so.

bradsbrew said:
I get where your coming from but why take away a component that severely effects the beer. If your talking lets make a beer that may have been created 200 years ago then fair enough. If your saying lets make a beer that reflects modern Australia and its produce then temp control is vital.

Cheers
I'm saying both those things, create a modern beer or create one that might have been around 200 years ago, I did not intend to limit options I simply suggested what might have been a limiting factor, just an example is all.

bradsbrew said:
Pretty sure fridges are available at this point.

Plenty of hops now grown in Australia these days, as with grain. I think the biggest limitation would be yeast.
If you can't think of some way to use what is available, ie coopers, maybe a wild yeast or sour beer might be possible?

If you're going to create one that was around "200 years ago" - you're going to have to be super inventive.
Western civilisation had only just arrived :p

For modern, which I think is a lot more conducive to your cause, you're going to have the luxury of all the hops that are relatively "new" on the scene. We're pretty sweet with grain, but yeah... yeast is going to be the issue. Although it would be pretty cool if someone was able to capture and culture some local wild yeast.

BTW: where did Cooper's initially get their yeast from? Why is it the only Australian yeast?

Anyone know?

Australian strong stout. Heavy on Australian hops and around 6% ABV.

There's virtually nothing like Coopers, Southwark or Sheaf in the British Isles.

Sippa said:
If you can't think of some way to use what is available, ie coopers, maybe a wild yeast or sour beer might be possible?
Being the simple organism yeast is, it easily mutates, so there maybe a wild yeast already floating around your house that makes great beer! and that no one has ever seen before

[SIZE=medium]A good place to start might be to create a hop variety that can thrive below the 30th parallel. That would make a fairly unique beer and a very marketable hop.[/SIZE]

Rinse your beards into a starter wort and find out!

Putrino said:
[SIZE=medium]A good place to start might be to create a hop variety that can thrive below the 30th parallel. That would make a fairly unique beer and a very marketable hop.[/SIZE]
I'm a little confused... this is an Australian Style - we are one of the "lucky" countries than can grow hops.

Latest posts

Back