Beer styles, geography and history in relation to beer taxonomy/nomenc

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
warra48 said:
One of my recent brews fits neither the published BJCP styles nor the Periodic Table of Beer Styles.

Dark American Wheat.

Come along to Bitter & Twisted in early November at the Old Maitland Gaol to find out for yourself. It's one of the beers to be used by HUB in our education/popularity sessions.
Cool, what are the ingredients? American malted wheat, American hops, American yeast?

Sorry but I don't do Gaols .. went to Port Arthur once and the place had a smell like death, misery and violence all mixed into one. They should bulldoze the place and be done with it IMO. I won't go into a goal voluntarily. History be damned.

Feldon said:
This old bloke was on the right track.

attachicon.gif
Dmitri Mendeleev.jpg

No, not an aging craft brewer, but Dmitri Mendelev.

He, "formulated the Periodic Law, created a farsighted version of the periodic table of elements, and used it to correct the properties of some already discovered elements and also to predict the properties of eight elements yet to be discovered." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dmitri_Mendeleev )

Substitute beers for elements and this latter day 'Periodic Table of Beer Styles' can organisie the apparent complexity of beer, its origins etc., into the same straightforward and time-honoured format.

attachicon.gif
Dmitri Mendeleev2.jpg

Note the KEY in the bottom lefthand corner.

(Low res pic limited by the AHB upload limit. But go to https://www.google.com.au/search?q=periodic+table+of+beer+styles&biw=1280&bih=866&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjt0ujGsMzPAhUIG5QKHd8aBHYQsAQIGg to find and download this and other versions in higher resolution.)
Not a bad idea, but what did you use to group the columns/rows? Elements are

ordered by their atomic number (number of protons), electron configurations, and recurring chemical properties. This ordering shows periodic trends, such as elements with similar behaviour in the same column. It also shows four rectangular blocks with some approximately similar chemical properties. In general, within one row (period) the elements are metals on the left, and non-metals on the right.

Elements are easily classified this way, but I'm guessing beers may not be? Still, can't hurt to try. Could the beer styles be listed in order of ABV (analagous to molecular weight), with rows indicating colour ranges and perhaps 'blocks' used to group certain broad style families (eg 'sour')

Dunno really, it's a big challenge.

good4whatAlesU said:
Cool, what are the ingredients? American malted wheat, American hops, American yeast?

Sorry but I don't do Gaols .. went to Port Arthur once and the place had a smell like death, misery and violence all mixed into one. They should bulldoze the place and be done with it IMO. I won't go into a goal voluntarily. History be damned.
AmDarkWheat.JPG

Looks delicious!!

American, German and Scottish ingredients. Let's go with "International Wheat Beer"

Interesting the beer recommended by Sir Davy to R. Southey (author of Goldilocks') is supposedly about to make a 'comeback.

Meet 'White Ale' brewed, apparently, with eggs.

http://www.devonlife.co.uk/food-drink/the_history_of_white_ale_in_devon_1_4693185

and according to a 1542 writer looked on appearance like "pigs had wrestled in it.

Although I must admit that this does not sound particularly appetising.

Latest posts

Back