Geography of Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forever Wort

Reaction score
Couldn't find another topic for this recent publication. The book is not about home brewing but rather the geography of beer over time, from many different angles. I have only read the first chapter; it is awesome stuff, can't wait to chew through the more specific chapters. Beer history fascinates me and is a big part of why I started brewing - beer is the third most consumed liquid after water and tea, after all!

http://www.springer.com/earth+sciences+and+geography/geography/book/978-94-007-7786-6

Chapter list:
  1. Geographies of Beer
  2. The Geography of Beer in Europe from 1000 BC to AD 1000
  3. The Spatial Diffusion of Beer from its Sumerian Origins to Today
  4. Mapping United States Breweries from 1612 to 2011
  5. Local to National and Back Again: Beer, Wisconsin & Scale
  6. The World’s Beer: The Historical Geography of Brewing in Mexico
  7. Geographic Appellations of Beer
  8. The Global Hop: An Agricultural Overview of the Brewer’s Gold
  9. Sweetwater, Mountain Springs and Great Lakes: A Hydro-Geography of Beer Brands
  10. A Taste of Place: Environmental Geographies of the Classic Beer Styles
  11. Sustainability Trends in the Regional Craft Beer Industry
  12. The Origins and Diaspora of the India Pale Ale
  13. The Ubiquity of Good Taste: A Spatial Analysis of the Craft Brewing Industry in the United States
  14. Too Big to Ale?: Globalization and Consolidation in the Beer Industry
  15. Microbreweries, Place, and Identity in the United States
  16. Neolocalism and the Branding and Marketing of Place by Canadian Microbreweries
  17. Offline Brews and Online Views: Exploring the Geography of Beer Tweets
It is quite expensive but you can download it cheaply or for free online then use an e-reader.

I agree, the history and geography of beers interested me as soon as I started home brewing. Half the reason why I'm always referencing the BJCP guide.

Latest posts

Back