Nelson Sauvin - What To Do With It?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbock

Braugesell
Reaction score
My brother donated me a heap of this stuff - and a couple of brews he made with it. Trouble is I find the taste way too much - resiny and green. Maybe he used too much (AA ~10% I think) but what I really want to know is what are other brewers using it for? Can't imagine what it would be good for!

My brother donated me a heap of this stuff - and a couple of brews he made with it. Trouble is I find the taste way too much - resiny and green. Maybe he used too much (AA ~10% I think) but what I really want to know is what are other brewers using it for? Can't imagine what it would be good for!

I found the taste similar to what you describe,I did the same as your brother and gave mine away too

Batz

JS,

Thanks for the refs, however, I think you either luv this hop or hate it - I fit into the latter category!

ta anyways

...I think you either luv this hop or hate it - I fit into the latter category!

Oops, sorry for missing the point! :huh: Must be a bit slow this morning. ;)

No dramas... Each to their own and all that!

Cheers,

JS

I've used it successfully in both Stouts and Pilseners. I do like it, but use sparingly. Well normally sparingly as the Imperial Pilsner we brewed at the weekend got a dose. :p

Beers,
Doc

Now i cant wait for mine to arrive from Brewcraft....very intrigued
Cheers
Steve

It's an aroma hop! Love it used sparingly to add that something to the aroma of APA's. Use at flame out or dry hop in secondary for 5 days in a hop bag. But then again I love the citrus and passionfruit nose in Sav Blanc's. I find it adds great freshness to a pale ale, used in style. Want to try a small amount late in a wheat.

Put it in an oatmeal stout last year.

22 grams at 60 minutes and that was it. Came out good. Could not taste the hop. Bittered up well.

cheers
johnno

It's an aroma hop! Love it used sparingly to add that something to the aroma of APA's. Use at flame out or dry hop in secondary for 5 days in a hop bag. But then again I love the citrus and passionfruit nose in Sav Blanc's. I find it adds great freshness to a pale ale, used in style. Want to try a small amount late in a wheat.

Ditto to that ;) it is a great aroma hop and has gone into my last 3 AAA's and will go into the one I am mashing as I type.

As a 60m to 80m bittering addition, it's not too overpowering. Late in the boil though - whoa. Used alot of it along with Amarillo and B Saaz in an APA - and the damn thing came out so hard it screws up the back of your tongue and then some on the way down. I don't think i'll be using that much again.

All a matter of taste as J.S. said,goes with chinook in my don't like it group......and wheat beers :lol:

Batz

Anyone else that does not like Chinook, Nelson Sauvin or Amarillo :) send it all to me for disposal [the boiling method] :p
They are three of the five hops going in the boil I am doing now, time to boil off some Amarillo and Liberty,Evil stuff :D

Anyone else that does not like Chinook, Nelson Sauvin or Amarillo :) send it all to me for desposal [the boiling method] :p
They are three of the five hops going in the boil I am doing now, time to boil off some Amarillo and Liberty,Evil stuff :D

I have nothing against Amarillo or Cascade for that matter.

Batz

Glad your birthday present was appreciated Batz :( I'll try harder next time B)

++++

I love NS, makes a fantastic summer ale (posted in recipe section). Was a big hit on tap here with virtually everyone.... :chug:

Cheers Ross

Glad your birthday present was appreciated Batz :( I'll try harder next time B)

++++

I love NS, makes a fantastic summer ale (posted in recipe section). Was a big hit on tap here with virtually everyone.... :chug:

Cheers Ross

You don't remember what you gave me then Ross? :p

Batz

I got a 60g bag of pellets yesterday for a try in a Pale Ale kit.
Any suggestions as to how much for dry hopping? I was thinking of no more than 25g...
I'm still aquiring a taste for highly hopped brews.

Back