Nelson Sauvin - What To Do With It?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a 60g bag of pellets yesterday for a try in a Pale Ale kit.
Any suggestions as to how much for dry hopping? I was thinking of no more than 25g...
I'm still aquiring a taste for highly hopped brews.

Petesbrew - 1gm/L is a good starting point for dry hopping, so go with your thinking...
Make sure if you're dry hopping they're really fresh - The aroma off NS should be very intense...

cheers Ross

I got a 60g bag of pellets yesterday for a try in a Pale Ale kit.
Any suggestions as to how much for dry hopping? I was thinking of no more than 25g...
I'm still aquiring a taste for highly hopped brews.

Petesbrew - 1gm/L is a good starting point for dry hopping, so go with your thinking...
Make sure if you're dry hopping they're really fresh - The aroma off NS should be very intense...

cheers Ross

Thanks Ross.
Smelt it in the shop and thought "wow!" Intense is the word.

Cheers
Pete :beer:

Chaps

How do you pronounce sauvin without sounding like a complete wanker when telling a male relative what they are drinking? Is it saw"von", saw"van" or just saw"vin"? :blink:
Cheers
Steve

P.S. Its definately a hop you either like or dislike...I like it in a smelly sock kinda way :p

Chaps

How do you pronounce sauvin without sounding like a complete wanker when telling a male relative what they are drinking? Is it saw"von", saw"van" or just saw"vin"? :blink:
Cheers
Steve

P.S. Its definately a hop you either like or dislike...I like it in a smelly sock kinda way :p

"saw"-"vin" i would think, if it was "sauvignon" then that's more like a "au" sound instead of "i" but there's no "g" so i think it's ok. Who cares honestly how you pronounce it, it's a nice hop, but you just have to use it in moderation.

Nice in APA's in combination with B Saaz and something stateside like Amarillo or Cascade...

Chaps

Cheers
Steve

"saw"-"vin" i would think, if it was "sauvignon" then that's more like a "au" sound instead of "i" but there's no "g" so i think it's ok. Who cares honestly how you pronounce it, it's a nice hop, but you just have to use it in moderation.

Nice in APA's in combination with B Saaz and something stateside like Amarillo or Cascade...

my friends already get bored when I talk about beer, so now I just say "it's got some hops in it'.

The N.S. tastes deadset fantastic in my APA... Will try it with some Cascade next time.

it's a nice hop, but you just have to use it in moderation.

Can't agree with that comment - My 100% NS summer ale uses 90 gms all the way through & is a lovely drop & I've used it heavily in other brews as well - never heard a bad word about it from anyone who's drunk it here. It certainly has a unique taste, but don't be shy of it - use heaps :chug:

cheers Ross

I agree with Ross. Have you tried my all NS summer ale yet DJR? :unsure:

I used Ross' NS Summer Ale recipe and was very pleased with the results.....they've all been drunk within a month put it that way :beerbang: ....I guess each to their own and all that.
Cheers
Steve

Aaargh... i guess i shouldn't complain after my APA that used heaps of NS did so well - i just found it a bit harsh to start with. I haven't tried the all NS summer ale yet Stu, will definitely have to.

my NS wheat ale is bloody great. Im drinking it at the moment and really liking it.

The scientist came round on the weekend and thought it was great too.

It had a grassy kind of flavor to start with but it matures nicly...... if you can let it.

I dont know if i would use it on its own again, would be a great character hop mixed with something else.

It certanly is different.

cheers

Back